Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 7, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #13,777 of 22,467
No, I want batteries I can replace myself. I don't see why I should pay a dealer to do something so simple. Thank you.

I was giving you a surmised answer, if you read my reply properly you would see I said I would get back to you with a 'informed answer' tomorrow when I hear back from Chord... hope that clears any confusion you may or may not be having.

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:01 PM Post #13,778 of 22,467
I was giving you a surmised answer, if you read my reply properly you would see I said I would get back to you with a 'informed answer' tomorrow when I hear back from Chord... hope that clears any confusion you may or may not be having.

Many thanks, I look forward to it. Sorry if I appeared pushy. I just find it pays to be crystal clear. It saves a lot of back and forth...

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:10 PM Post #13,779 of 22,467
Anyone has the Hugo 2 and the iFi micro iDSD Black Label and can tell me how much better (or not) the Hugo 2 is?

If you don't A/B them, they are equally satisfying (this includes my Galaxy S8 btw). If you A/B them, then generally, the Chord wins on resolution and overall refinement. However there are some tracks, e.g. Lena Hall / Lazarus, where the iFi (I don't have the Black Label) seems to breathe in more life / more dynamics. But I think I prefer the Chord on most TIDAL tracks (the blasphemy), despite iFi's MQA support. But you have to realize that we are splitting hairs here. And that it will be very dependent on what headphones you use (I tested with oBravo EAMT-1 c), set & setting, previous knowledge of the tracks, expectations, etc. As I said - if you won't be comparing them, it doesn't matter. If you know the iFi and want to explore further, then yeah Chord Hugo 2 is a milestone to be reached. But honestly I think the question "which is better" makes little sense here, as both are products of companies having achieved a level of significant wizardry in their products. You actually made me realize that I should go to the iFi more often instead of listening to the Chord, because the difference in sound signature is interesting. You made me dust off my iDSD, and I'm now even more interested how much xDSD improved on the iDSD.

20180807_233156.jpg

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:43 PM Post #13,780 of 22,467
You might not have a choice. No reason to get pushy with someone who's trying to help you out.
No, I want batteries I can replace myself. I don't see why I should pay a dealer to do something so simple. Thank you.
He offers help and you kick him in the preverbials? Class!

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 7, 2018 at 7:02 PM Post #13,781 of 22,467
is that with or without bananas added?... just asking like as it makes a difference to the sq.

Bananas added of course.

Custard just wouldn’t be custard without black bananas and hair.

Why those two I have no idea. It just shows you the schiit I have to put up with on a daily basis.

Aug 8, 2018 at 12:31 AM Post #13,782 of 22,467
Agreed - but I always state whenever we are talking about sources YMWV or YMMV... But I am confident that using my MSI lap-top in my set-up you would not hear a difference either. But comparing a different source, particularly when it's from different devices, most likely will be different. And just because my MSI optical sounds the same as my MSI USB, does not mean all lap-tops that have dual USB and optical will be the same either...

In my case, the difference in the optical out of the Asus Essence STX and USB out was neglible on the Hugo 2. Optical was a touch smoother and less body. My take away was the USB was able to keep up it's SQ vs optical with optical being a baseline and I was happy with that.

In comparison with the Hugo 1, optical gave a better sound vs USB. But, APT X was suprisingly amazing.

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:22 AM Post #13,783 of 22,467
If you don't A/B them, they are equally satisfying (this includes my Galaxy S8 btw). If you A/B them, then generally, the Chord wins on resolution and overall refinement. However there are some tracks, e.g. Lena Hall / Lazarus, where the iFi (I don't have the Black Label) seems to breathe in more life / more dynamics. But I think I prefer the Chord on most TIDAL tracks (the blasphemy), despite iFi's MQA support. But you have to realize that we are splitting hairs here. And that it will be very dependent on what headphones you use (I tested with oBravo EAMT-1 c), set & setting, previous knowledge of the tracks, expectations, etc. As I said - if you won't be comparing them, it doesn't matter. If you know the iFi and want to explore further, then yeah Chord Hugo 2 is a milestone to be reached. But honestly I think the question "which is better" makes little sense here, as both are products of companies having achieved a level of significant wizardry in their products. You actually made me realize that I should go to the iFi more often instead of listening to the Chord, because the difference in sound signature is interesting. You made me dust off my iDSD, and I'm now even more interested how much xDSD improved on the iDSD.

I am still thinking about the Hugo 2. I need to try at some store to see if there is a lot of difference. I am really enjoying the iDSD. I wasn't expecting that much of difference.

And I hope you enjoy yours again too. :p

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:28 AM Post #13,784 of 22,467

This is true with all my DAC experience. Thank you for saying this. Half of the time i wonder why I try so hard on the pursuit of things.

Aug 8, 2018 at 6:38 AM Post #13,785 of 22,467
Great. Where can I buy batteries for Mojo and Hugo2 and how much do they cost?

at present you will have to go to your Chord-Dealer to get replacement batteries for Mojo/Hugo.

Chord do not yet supply batteries for Hugo2 and they would be surprised if any would need replacing for a long time yet that said, things are in hand to eventually work something out for replacement batteries in the future.

if you need any further advice please contact Chord's dedicated email for support: info@chordelectronics.co.uk

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back