Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 6, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #13,741 of 22,475
There was a huge difference in SQ improvements when I started with 2 isilencers and moved up to 10. A linear improvement in the lowering of the noise floor and when I got to 6 onwards, better imaging. When I installed Fidelizer, and plugged in the AC Ipurifier, gains on the isilencers and idefender + ipower was more of a feeling/vibe than something more apparent. Better imaging and a more linear controlled sound but probably not worth the cost since Fidelizer did 85% of the work for such a lower cost. But here I am still waiting for my LPS to see what it'll bring to the table.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:03 AM Post #13,742 of 22,475
First time commenting to share my observations and wanna hear your thoughts on it.

I'm surprised that Rob mentions there should be no sonic improvements to feeding clean power in the vbus. I just read this last week and I've been hearing sonic improvements with the idefender + ipower + groundhog. The noise in the upper midrange and lower midrange drops and vocals sounds more in front of me vs a perceived height. Apparently the vocals were sitting on a sack of noise. There's an increased sense of depth and lower noise floor too.

Current setup:
Power : ac ipurifier, UPS

Left USB C: AQ carbon -> 10x isilencers

Right USB: idefender + ipower + groundhog -> ifi Mercury v3 -> ipurifier v3 -> adapter -> Hugo 2 -> Rhodium RCA + Kimber Kable -> JDS O2 w/ 1x gain -> Rhodium 1/4" + Kimber Kable -> Audeze LCD2c

SW: foobar 2000 on WASAPI, Fidelizer Pro on advanced setting

Extra power-ups: turning off the other power strips in the apartment and taking out two more SMPS mobile chargers from the wall improves nuances, micro-dynamics, soundstage, depth and +bass.

Extra power-up 2: since I've read that feeding clean power to the USB input shouldn't make a difference but it did for me. I tried charging the hugo 2 with a power bank and placed two isilencers in-between. Like whoa. The bass tightened. Got more bass and tighter too. More separation. More demension. More subtlety.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/umtikfE9F4BBF4z67
I don't mean to imply anything negative. But, how, in general, is the quality of AC power in your country?

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:26 AM Post #13,743 of 22,475
I don't mean to imply anything negative. But, how, in general, is the quality of AC power in your country?
It can be local issues as well, not countrywide.
I remember a few years back, someone posted (possibly on the what hifi forum, but not sure) that they had just solved their hifi issues.
The root cause was that they lived only a few metres away from their local village hydroelectric power generator, and the equipment was emitting electrical noise, which was feeding into the household power supply to the various bits of hifi equipment.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:28 AM Post #13,744 of 22,475

It's not that great but I don't exactly have a basis of what's better. I've lived in NY midtown for a decade and outside environment noise is enough to ruin what could have been good AC power, but it wasn't great either since I can hear it improve at late nights.

My other residence here in the Philippines doesn't have a ground prong and the sound is unlistenable once I got used to my setup in the apartment, which thankfully has a ground prong, which isn't a common essential thing here. Without a ground prong, the timing was just off.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:32 AM Post #13,745 of 22,475
I
It can be local issues as well, not countrywide.
I remember a few years back, someone posted (possibly on the what hifi forum, but not sure) that they had just solved their hifi issues.
The root cause was that they lived only a few metres away from their local village hydroelectric power generator, and the equipment was emitting electrical noise, which was feeding into the household power supply to the various bits of hifi equipment.

Indeed. The AC iPurifier cleaned up the sound big time. I highly recommend it coz it's not as artificial like a reclocking accessory.

Thankfully I found free upgrades like turning off everything else in the apartment helps in the sound. Quality still differs depending on the how the rest of the building or city is using the power.

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:47 AM Post #13,746 of 22,475
I

Indeed. The AC iPurifier cleaned up the sound big time. I highly recommend it coz it's not as artificial like a reclocking accessory.

Thankfully I found free upgrades like turning off everything else in the apartment helps in the sound. Quality still differs depending on the how the rest of the building or city is using the power.
You have reminded me of this post from Rob. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-2qute-dac-announced.749582/page-4#post-11263318

Aug 6, 2018 at 11:50 AM Post #13,747 of 22,475
Anyone recommend where I can purchase H2 power supply or recommend a good substitute from Amazon?

This has proven to be...not as easy as I thought. Delays, no response &...wrong item sent.

Using USB to charge doesn't get Desktop mode, so I am mindful of the battery cycling and wish to preserve.

thanks.

hey Peter! I think an iPad charger should do the trick.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:04 PM Post #13,748 of 22,475
I

I think my Regen is a reclocking device. Is that what you refer to, compared with the IPurifier? I'm interested as I live in a townhouse area with lots of common power leading to interference, and wondering if it might improve sound.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:08 PM Post #13,749 of 22,475
Btw, I always try and work out what's happening. I'm far from an expert but it's a fun game to play.

From iFi's published material, the iSilencer's are doing similar to what the AQ Jitterbugs do (reducing RF).

The iDefender is a funny one because iFi haven't shared too much about it but over on CA Forum some people much smarter than me believe it 'lifts' the ground connection, after USB handshake is made.. The USB ground line is believed to be the most problematic, in terms of leakage currents and associated RF. If the iDefender is doing what some believe (lifting the ground) then I can definitely understand how there may be SQ improvement.

If/how leakage currents affects SQ will depend on the whole system and how it's tied together.

I don't think it's any coincidence to me that I get the best SQ with Hugo2 when I'm blocking a leakage current loop through Hugo2. Most of the time this is done feeding Hugo2 with optical - nice and simple and mind blowing, incredible SQ.

My USB chain (for weekends only) is an ethernet fiber optic isolated microRendu which is also battery powered... so truely 100% off the grid, no leakage currents. And it sounds just as smooth as optical to my ears but more focused - so better than optical. But it's such a pain in the ass to setup, that I only whip it out on weekends.

Right. I'm so itching for the 2go coz it relieves me of all these experimention (almost) and power quality issues and USB interference issues. At the same time, it's worth to have our rigs as far as this to A/B it with the 2go. Curious how the 2go stacks up with an ultraRendu + LPS gor example.

Aug 6, 2018 at 12:23 PM Post #13,751 of 22,475
Amazing how you find these posts leading to direct answers. And your memory...
Thanks,
Luckily some posts do stick in my memory, because I have followed the threads long enough - new posters do not have this 'back catalogue' in their memories, which gives me an opportunity to help.
The hardest part is usually identifying the correct search term, and thread, to locate the original post. Sometimes it is just impossible.

Aug 6, 2018 at 1:46 PM Post #13,753 of 22,475
I think my Regen is a reclocking device. Is that what you refer to, compared with the IPurifier? I'm interested as I live in a townhouse area with lots of common power leading to interference, and wondering if it might improve sound.

Hard to say. It doesn't use the word 'reclock' per se but says it regenerates the USB signal which I haven't even started to find out what it means. But on the site it has this:

• A world-class ultra-low-phase-noise oscillator (Crystek CCHD-575), the sort of “Femtosecond” low jitter clock normal found only in top-quality DACs as an audio master clock.

Not sure what a femtoclock is doing in there if it isn't 'reclocking'.

I'm trying to understanding when what seems to be an ''improved sound" if it's even accurate. The ipurifier and micro iUSB gives a more realistic sound but I'm still inconclusive if it's artificial. For example, for kicks I placed 3 iPurifier v2 back to back and it was a very compressed not so good sound. But that exercise made me hear that whatever sound change that the iPurifier v2 did, did it 3x over.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back