Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 10, 2018 at 8:37 AM Post #10,066 of 22,501
well That will last 2 pages then be asked again....:upside_down:

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:39 AM Post #10,068 of 22,501
2 more little problems with the balls is that I don't get the same push feedback every time I push a button. If the button is not centered at the time of the push, I don't get the click feedback, also the button changes sound on each push. It's just a slight minor issue. With Mojo, I get click feedback and exactly same sound on every push (each button has it's own sound).

The loudest ball in the Mojo is UP, then POWER, then DOWN. On Hugo 2, the sound/feedback changes with every push.

Solution: take finger away before pressing second time while Hugo 2 is not flat on the table.

Yes...I mentioned this a few pages back. But in my case it was so bad that the power button often felt like it wasn't moving at all when I pressed it and that was very disconcerting. As I spotted this the minute I opened the box, my dealer swapped the unit out without hesitation or delay. The replacement clicks no matter what position or angle I approach the button but I wouldn't say every button clicks with the same identical feedback. It does seem a bit ridiculous that such an expensive item had to be swapped out due for this reason but as the power button was so flakey, I didn't dare wait for months only to see it fail completely.

Jan 10, 2018 at 8:54 AM Post #10,069 of 22,501
I was wondering (read hoping) that Rob and the Chord team are using their incredible talents and insights to fully understand what it is really going to take to fully-optimize the "Blu2-to-Hugo2 dual-BNC" connectivity and to then use that knowledge to design and offer to us the resulting "dual-BNC to TRS 1/8" cable that will fully-realize the incredible gift that this mode of operation offers. Our efforts and experiences thus far would strongly suggest that this a much trickier business then most would believe. Any thoughts/comments Rob? I know that the Hugo2/Blu2 is my end-game... with a tip-of-the hat to Ray-Dude for his pioneering efforts and inspired writing.

Jan 10, 2018 at 9:47 AM Post #10,070 of 22,501
Today I took delivery a Tacima CS947. https://www.whathifi.com/tacima/cs947/review ..................... I was for quite a long time very sceptical about results from equipment like this.

Anyway after a few weeks ago getting the Audioquest Jitterbug and being converted. My attention turned to all other aspects which 'they say' works. .. I want to add something to the review that I think it important. The negative points about this mains product, on the What Hi-Fi review are:
1. Squeezes the soundstage somewhat.
2. Can impact on treble adversely.

However this is exactly what happened when I got the Audioquest Jitterbug and put it on my Mojo. Some people actually rejected the Jitterbug because of this effect. Soundstage appearing decreased, and treble affected. In reality though, that was the natural normal nature of the Mojo.

The Mojo was my main DAC then; I have owned the Hugo 2 for about a month now. Therefor I am speculating that What Hi-Fi might have misjudged this mains product, and underestimated it. The effect of the Jitterbug, was to calm the Mojo, make it smoother, and slightly warmer. Or getting nearer to optical as they say. After adjusting to this sound, I could not go back to no Jitterbug.

Anyway, this Tacima mains product. The first track I played, needs introduction. I heard it on the radio about two days ago, checked out the album tracks online then bought the download album. The track is called Don't Delete the Kisses, and it's by Wolf Alice. As said, this was the first track that I played with the new mains product attached. Therefore feeding my Rega Brio amplifier, and Chord Hugo 2 DAC (on adapter power, pre-desktop mode).

The story doesn't end there though. I liked Don't Delete the Kisses so much. That I listened to it many, many times over the last two days. However today I listened to it for about two and a half hours, on repeat. Sometimes I do that sort of thing with a particular track. I just sunk into it more with the new mains product. It sounded just a bit softer, and simply more beauty. (Don't Delete the Kisses has quite a bit of timbre beauty anyway.)

Finally pulling away from this track, I decided to check out more music. Just to make sure I was not being duped by placebo. The next track I played was Hawkwind - Living on a Knife Edge (extended version). The difference was noticeable in another way. I heard something that they have been saying about the Hugo 2, that I had not heard before. That it sounded sped up. I could barely keep up with the drummer, because there was so much detail coming of his quick successive strikes. Guitars notes had more 'edges' I think. This is a track which I have listened to hundreds of times, and now it was speeding around all over the place.

I loved my amplifier before, but I get it now, and the Hugo 2 just has more, in my opinion right now. (I can't rule out changing my mind about this mains item doing what the say. Basically, because the Hugo 2 is a startling product, and it surprises me every day.) While I was listening repeatedly to Don't Delete the Kisses, I was thinking, "this (audio quality experience) is not normal".

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:21 AM Post #10,071 of 22,501
How often do you not have access to electricity? Even at airports you can plug in and powerpacks are everywhere now. I don't get the battery life issue.

I began with Mojo, have had H2 for a few months now. Totally addicted to the highly detailed and liquid Chord sound. The only other thing that entices me from time to time is the appeal of tubes and Hugo3 whenever that is. I love the DEEP extending sub bass, liquid highly detailed vocals, image stability and isolation, massive stage and overall detail I get from H2. What I would like to see most with H3 is of course higher tap count but also something to reduce or eliminate cell phone noise, it's much better when running Bluetooth than wired when listening to streaming sources but it would be nice to have that noise completely eliminated. When I do critical listening I switch over to UAPP running flacs in airplane mode and bitperfect, doing this in the dark has led to a lot of wow moments.

Today I took delivery a Tacima CS947. https://www.whathifi.com/tacima/cs947/review ..................... I was for quite a long time very sceptical about results from equipment like this.

Anyway after a few weeks ago getting the Audioquest Jitterbug and being converted. My attention turned to all other aspects which 'they say' works. .. I want to add something to the review that I think it important. The negative points about this mains product, on the What Hi-Fi review are:
1. Squeezes the soundstage somewhat.
2. Can impact on treble adversely.

However this is exactly what happened when I got the Audioquest Jitterbug and put it on my Mojo. (Mojo was my main DAC then; I have Hugo 2 now.) Therefor I am speculating that What Hi-Fi might have misjudged this mains product, and underestimated it. The effect of the JItterbug, was to calm the Mojo, make it smoother, and slightly warmer. Or getting nearer to optical as they say. After adjusting to this sound, I could not go back to no Jitterbug.

Anyway back to this Tacima mains product. The first track I played, needs introduction. I heard it on the radio about two days ago, checked out the album tracks online then bought the download album. The track is called Don't Delete the Kisses, and it's by Wolf Alice. As said, this was the first tracks that I played with the new mains product attached. Therefore feeding my Rega Brio amplifier, and Chord Hugo 2 DAC (in desktop mode).

The story doesn't end there though. I liked this track so much it made me buy the album. I listened to this track many, many times over the last two days. However today I listened to it for about two and a half hours, on repeat. Sometimes I do that sort of thing with a particular track. I just sunk into it more with the new mains product. It sounded just a bit softer, and simply more beauty. (Don't Delete the Kisses has a lot of timbre beauty anyway.)

Finally pulling away from this track, I decided to check out more music. Just to make sure I was not being duped by placebo. The next track I played was Hawkwind - Living on a Knife Edge (extended version). The difference was noticeable in another way. I heard something that they have been saying about the Hugo 2, that I had not heard before. That it sounded sped up. I could barely keep up with the drummer, because there was so much detail coming of his quick successive strikes. Guitars notes had more 'edges' I think. This is a track which I have listened to hundreds of times, and now it was speeding around all over the place.

I loved my amplifier before, but I get it now. Hugo has more. While I was listening over and over to Don't Delete the Kisses, I was thinking, "incredible; this is not normal".

Yea, well aware of the "sped up" effect, it's like your brain can't keep up, just the way it would be live, the way the music actually is. Amazing.

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 10:26 AM Post #10,072 of 22,501
H3? We don’t have tt2 yet? And won’t for a year or two I bet, maybe longer.

Jan 10, 2018 at 10:46 AM Post #10,073 of 22,501
To anyone who is having trouble using Hugo2 with streaming apps, if you have UAPP installed you have to go into the settings and click PLAY THROUGH ANDROID before you connect Hugo2 via usb or UAPP will not allow the data to be sent. This was incredibly annoying for me for a long time, I figured it out a few months ago.

Jan 10, 2018 at 11:23 AM Post #10,074 of 22,501

I loved my amplifier before, but I get it now. Hugo has more. While I was listening over and over to Don't Delete the Kisses, I was thinking, "incredible; this is not normal".
I had same speed impression. Ifi Audio Nano IDSD to Mojo, 15-20 minutes for my brain to learn the speed, Mojo to Hugo 2, it lasted at least 5 days! Now it sounds like a normal DAC, wish I could have this speed sensation forever, it was unbelievable. It sounded almost mechanical in a way because it's unusual for the music to sound that fast.
I tried again Nano iDSD for 3 days, then Mojo and noticed the speed again, but it lasted only few minutes...
Hugo 2 didn't sounded bright at first, but after 1 month, when I try Mojo, I hear how rolled-off the treble is and warmer with more bass (boomier bass).

Jan 10, 2018 at 12:25 PM Post #10,075 of 22,501
Hi!
I wonder if there's someone here who bought Hugo 2 to use it mainly with a smartphone? I´ve read that for many it's a waste of money. Can I ask your opinion?
In addition, isn't Hugo 2 too much for someone who's starting in this head-fi world?
Sorry for the simple questions.

Unless you have your mortgage paid, have plenty of money for education and any health issues that may arise in the future and your retirement is funded, then paying that amount of money for something that a phone does quite nicely for 95% of the population is questionable. Saying that it is a waste might be overstating things a bit though. As long as your source and headphones are good enough, then apparently the Hugo2 sounds quite nice.

If you are just starting out I would save something at the level of the Hugo2 for later. You will appreciate it more then, and who knows, prices may come down and quality/functionality may improve. It has happened in the past, and there is no reason to expect that it will not happen again.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:11 PM Post #10,077 of 22,501
I see the Qutest was announced...no talk of a Poly for the H2?
Sorry, but this was the Chord statement from yesterday, on their Facebook page.
Surprising, but we can wait for news of the 2Go, until the Poly situation is more settled.

Chord.jpg

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:35 PM Post #10,078 of 22,501
I thought dektop mode is activated 24 hours after the Hugo 2 is connected to the power supply so the “internal timer” starts counting when the Hugo detects the power supply is connected and this timer only reset when the power supply is disconnected. I hope rob will shed some light about this matter

Yes this is correct - the timer is set by connection of the charger - no power on the charger will cause the timer to reset. When you turn off Hugo 2, it is still in desktop mode, but the battery gets fully charged. Once fully charged, the charger will stop charging the battery - it is having a full charge voltage present that wears out the battery. The reason I did this was if you want to use it mobile say tomorrow, then simply turn it off, then it will be ready and fully charged for mobile use.

well That will last 2 pages then be asked again....:upside_down:

If only there was some way.... if only a way had been invented... for useful posts to be archived at the front of a thread, for ready-reference.

That way, the same questions would only be asked every 3 pages, instead of every 2 pages...
whistling emoticon.png

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 3:38 PM Post #10,080 of 22,501
Yea, well aware of the "sped up" effect, it's like your brain can't keep up, just the way it would be live, the way the music actually is. Amazing.

I had same speed impression. Ifi Audio Nano IDSD to Mojo, 15-20 minutes for my brain to learn the speed, Mojo to Hugo 2, it lasted at least 5 days! Now it sounds like a normal DAC, wish I could have this speed sensation forever, it was unbelievable. It sounded almost mechanical in a way because it's unusual for the music to sound that fast.
I tried again Nano iDSD for 3 days, then Mojo and noticed the speed again, but it lasted only few minutes...
Hugo 2 didn't sounded bright at first, but after 1 month, when I try Mojo, I hear how rolled-off the treble is and warmer with more bass (boomier bass).

Yep, I mean I've had my Hugo 2 for maybe a month, but never heard the sped up effect until today. It could however have been down to being exactly in the sweet spot. I have to do some more critical listening. ... I think I would have before in the last month though on a track at some point. At the moment I putting it down to the new mains product I bought, allowing the amplifier to run cleaner.

I know for sure the Jitterbug took noise out of the USB power lines, that got into the analogue part of the DAC. It these audio quality mains products do remove noise and clear RFI. Then I think they work under the same principle of removing noise. ... Today though, the sped up effect was so profound, I was having trouble focusing on the track. My concentration was taken up with the new effect.

It might be worth adding that I don't have the most ideal transducer situation. I use Dynaudio Emit M10 speakers placed on a desk. They don't get as clear a space around them as speakers need. Neither do they get space in front and below them, as that is desk area. If the mains product was doing what it says it does, it would have given some quality back to the system. Quality lost by less that ideal speaker placement.

Anyway, here is the track that held me spellbound for over two hours on repeat today, with the Hugo 2. (I had it playing at 16 bit 44.1 FLAC)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back