Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 9, 2018 at 6:13 PM Post #10,036 of 22,433
Hi!
I wonder if there's someone here who bought Hugo 2 to use it mainly with a smartphone? I´ve read that for many it's a waste of money. Can I ask your opinion?
In addition, isn't Hugo 2 too much for someone who's starting in this head-fi world?
Sorry for the simple questions.
I use ch1 with an iPhone exclusively. No it’s not a waste of money. No it’s not too much I’d view it as necessary.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:14 PM Post #10,037 of 22,433
Hi!
I wonder if there's someone here who bought Hugo 2 to use it mainly with a smartphone? I´ve read that for many it's a waste of money. Can I ask your opinion?
In addition, isn't Hugo 2 too much for someone who's starting in this head-fi world?
I don't think so. If you have good ears and an appreciation of music, there's no reason you shouldn't want it to sound its best.

Jan 9, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #10,038 of 22,433
Hi!
Hi,
Don't worry if you are planning to use it only with your phone.Your music will sound like never before, in good i mean.
And Hugo 2 is the Perfect audio product even for someone who just started his journey in the audio world.

Jan 9, 2018 at 7:16 PM Post #10,039 of 22,433
Hi!

why would it be a waste of money to use with a smartphone? are you using Tidal Hi-Fi?

Jan 9, 2018 at 8:13 PM Post #10,040 of 22,433
Thanks for this, what current do the Hugo 2 and Dave produce? I sent the link of the table having entered the Utopia info to my dealer, bless his cotton socks, he's only trying to do his best for his employer!

Quite a bit actually, it’s 500mA max Current for both.

I expect your dealer to explain the math away... :wink:

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:09 PM Post #10,041 of 22,433
Quite a bit actually, it’s 500mA max Current for both.

I expect your dealer to explain the math away... :wink:
Bob Katz has done some articles on Inner Fidelity about determinating the actual sensitivity of headphones with various amps. It was a bit beyond me, but I think he was trying to nail down a way of determining needed power for headphones. I think they were called 'how insensitive.'

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 9, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #10,042 of 22,433
how would you replace a headphone amp by using a digital volume? as jazz explained for qutest an adaptor?

Last edited:
Jan 10, 2018 at 2:04 AM Post #10,043 of 22,433
how would you replace a headphone amp by using a digital volume? as jazz explained for qutest an adaptor?

The digital volume does not replace the headphone amp. The headohone amp produces power to drive headphones. All the digital volume does is to alter the eventual output voltage. At its simplest level one can use the digital volume in Tidal or any other streamer.

So in theory you could connect say a power amp (ie with no volume control) to the dac and use the streaming software to alter the volume. Note that not all software does this in an ideal way without loss of quality.

Jan 10, 2018 at 2:19 AM Post #10,044 of 22,433
Having listened to the Hugo 2 for a week, I have to say I'm very very impressed.

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:18 AM Post #10,046 of 22,433
I have searched along all the thread but I was not able to find an answer to this question.
Sorry if it is repeated.

I use my Hugo2 plugged to AC. When I turn it on, the purple light is on so it is in desktop mode.
Then I use the DAC for some minutes.

So why the white light is on for a while when I turn it off ?

Thanks in advance!

Jan 10, 2018 at 3:33 AM Post #10,047 of 22,433
Sure you may ask why!
The reason it's important is ADC's have large amounts of noise shaper noise, starting at about 25 khz; this increases rapidly, so the higher sample rate has a lot of out of band noise. And this noise is artificial, and because it is random, creates noise floor modulation in the analogue electronics. So filtering this noise out makes it sound smoother. The higher the sample rate, the worse it becomes, and the more obvious the HF filter becomes.
Davina, the ADC project, won't suffer from this, as the noise shaper noise will start increasing above the 768 khz sample rate. It's one of the many benefits that Davina will have.
So rather than a personal preference, the green filter is actually correcting problems with higher rate files? I had no idea.

Jan 10, 2018 at 4:15 AM Post #10,048 of 22,433
I have searched along all the thread but I was not able to find an answer to this question.
Sorry if it is repeated.

I use my Hugo2 plugged to AC. When I turn it on, the purple light is on so it is in desktop mode.
Then I use the DAC for some minutes.

So why the white light is on for a while when I turn it off ?

Thanks in advance!
See when you turn off your tv if the light goes off completely right away or is still on couple of seconds.Is normal.
Don't worry, just enjoy the music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back