Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 19, 2017 at 1:15 PM Post #7,322 of 22,475
Strange that it is just affecting the one headphone out.

Does this popping affect all tracks, or just tracks when the sampling rate has changed compared to the previous track?
This was an issue with the Mojo for a while, but was traced to the settings used by computers, phones & apps. The FAQ in post #3 of the Mojo thread, contains a section related to which settings to change. It maybe worth you having a quick glance at the FAQ.

Is actually when hugo stops producing sound and comes back again... like the off and on of changing tracks popping sound. I wonder if Moon Audio would exchange this for me... if this is a problem. Would not want to go thru chord cause i know that would take longer.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #7,323 of 22,475
so i visited my dealer on friday this time determined to get it right. whilst in the shop and carrying a rucksack full of my laptop and headphones i tested both headphone connectors and the the dealer showed me the correct way to adjust the volume. slight pressure when changing colours something i wasn't doing before. after having a delightful evening with it i noticed one of the ten mini screws on the back was very slightly loose. i ignored it at first but then rang my dealer and he said he would contact chord to get the right tolerance and the very slightly loose screw could be adjusted in store so no need to worry there about anything. i also contacted rob to make sure that the tiny bit of light coming out between the partitions of the case is normal and he confirmed it was so no worries there. a perfect dac is what i expect here. my mother visited me today and listened to some neil diamond and whitney houston from the bodyguard album and was quite moved by the result. all is good and glad to be a member of the club again. i can't find another product in the market at the same price range that can compete with hugo 2 hence my perseverance. at one point i felt like i was slipping away from here. glad i'm not. happy listener.

:smile_phones::smile_phones::smile_phones:

Aug 19, 2017 at 2:56 PM Post #7,324 of 22,475
I was never a big fan of the Mojo, but I'm loving the Hugo 2. Very clean-sounding - no hisses, pops, RFI, noise-floor, etc.

The only spurious noise I get from it is if I shake it - it seems to have a screw loose inside the casing. Anybody else notice something rattling around when you shake your Hugo 2?
No big deal, as I don't tend to shake it while listening. As long as that screw doesn't short anything out on the PCB...

It could be the rattle of the balls. But, yeah I had a loose screw inside the case on my first Hugo 2 delivery. I returned it for replacement. Sadly the replacement has other issues. Anyway, I would return it if I were you. A loose screw may seem insignificant (which it isn't), but if people don't complain about these quality issues to Chord they will think it is somehow acceptable to deliver a $2400 product to customers that are riddled with defects. There is obviously a problem somewhere in their production line and you aren't doing other future customers any favors by overlooking things like this. Make sure they are made aware of these problems. When's the last time you bought any consumer products (at even a fraction of the price) that were delivered with greasy fingerprints on the glass, blemishes on the case and hardware loose inside and outside the case. Chord has a reputatation of designing, fabricating, delivering bespoke products. This is unacceptable. My $5 Figdet Cube, probably made by overworked 8 year old children in China, came out of the packaging looking better.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 3:17 PM Post #7,325 of 22,475
It could be the rattle of the balls. But, yeah I had a loose screw inside the case on my first Hugo 2 delivery. I returned it for replacement. Sadly the replacement has other issues. Anyway, I would return it if I were you. A loose screw may seem insignificant (which it isn't), but if people don't complain about these quality issues to Chord they will think it is somehow acceptable to deliver a $2400 product to customers that are riddled with defects. There is obviously a problem somewhere in their production line and you aren't doing other future customers any favors by overlooking things like this. Make sure they are made aware of these problems. When's the last time you bought any consumer products (at even a fraction of the price) that were delivered with greasy fingerprints on the glass, blemishes on the case and hardware loose inside and outside the case. Chord has a reputatation of designing, fabricating, delivering bespoke products. This is unacceptable. My $5 Figdet Cube, probably made by overworked 8 year old children in China, came out of the packaging looking better.

My rattle was just coming from the little glass balls controlling power, crossfeed, input and filter. If I hold those buttons, there's no more rattle. All is good

Sorry to hear of your troubles. What were the issues you had with your Hugo 2?

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #7,326 of 22,475
My rattle was just coming from the little glass balls controlling power, crossfeed, input and filter. If I hold those buttons, there's no more rattle. All is good

Sorry to hear of your troubles. What were the issues you had with your Hugo 2?

Awesome, glad to hear mate! Enjoy your Hugo 2! I've had two delivered with issues noted above. Working with dealer to resolve.

Aug 19, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #7,327 of 22,475
HIghly unlikely. The pullout is already a logistical nightmare that will continue to have lasting negative economic consequences for the short to medium term. Why would the UK further shoot themselves in the foot by stripping themselves of additional gvt revenue that they'll sorely need?
Well if the big company's paid their tax,google facebook, Starbucks etc instead of punishing the nurses some using food banks by not paying them a pay rise, maybe leaving the eu wouldn't be such a bad thing, the world is bent, thank god we got music and beautiful hi-fi gear to listen to it on

Aug 19, 2017 at 4:45 PM Post #7,329 of 22,475
upon receiving my H2 i thought there was a problem because I heard a rattle but quickly realized it was the balls so no problem

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #7,330 of 22,475
Strange that it is just affecting the one headphone out.

Does this popping affect all tracks, or just tracks when the sampling rate has changed compared to the previous track?
This was an issue with the Mojo for a while, but was traced to the settings used by computers, phones & apps. The FAQ in post #3 of the Mojo thread, contains a section related to which settings to change. It maybe worth you having a quick glance at the FAQ.

after some further testing i noticed the popping only occurs when choosing 32 bit 384000hrz it does not happen under 32 bit 192000hrz

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:35 PM Post #7,331 of 22,475
if in any doubt juang check with dealer.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #7,332 of 22,475
One other small point. I can hear a slight noise floor with the SE846. It's very quiet, but it's there, and I'm obviously anal. I'm afraid the SE846 just hisses with everything :frowning2: (This noise floor on the Hugo 2 seems to be independent of volume setting.)
It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I didn't hear a noise floor when previously listening to Jude's demo model (and I deliberately went off to a quiet room and strained to hear the noise floor, but couldn't).
SE846 or Zeus owners??

Just tried with my SE846 (normal filter) and I couldn't hear it at normal listening volume. I had to turn up to hearing-damaging volumes before I could start to hear any hiss.

Aug 19, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #7,333 of 22,475
I'm pretty sure the balls are all plastic.

Aug 19, 2017 at 6:03 PM Post #7,335 of 22,475
@x RELIC x mentioned this in his review of the Hugo 2.

I do get some light bleeding through, so I took this photo last night.

In an ideal world there would be no light leaking, but this is not an issue for me - I bought the Hugo 2 to listen to music, not also spend hours staring at the case. :wink:

Thanks Mike for giving us your experience, I for one totally believe you as it is sometimes difficult to decipher the fanboy from the true believer as HF is often a bunch of total !!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back