Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #7,306 of 22,516
Sorry to double post but have anyone experience this?
Strange that it is just affecting the one headphone out.

Does this popping affect all tracks, or just tracks when the sampling rate has changed compared to the previous track?
This was an issue with the Mojo for a while, but was traced to the settings used by computers, phones & apps. The FAQ in post #3 of the Mojo thread, contains a section related to which settings to change. It maybe worth you having a quick glance at the FAQ.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:31 AM Post #7,307 of 22,516
Yesterday I saw the first HUGO 2 on sale at the Swedish Second Hand HI FI For Sale site where I have my HUGO up for sale.
The seller was asking 18500 sek for it which is about 400 € below retail here in Sweden.
As very "happy camper" with my DAC2, and HUGO as backup I am not in a hurry.
I already bought a pair of headphones in the "ridiculous price" category this year.
I am comforting myself with the facts that it both sounds excellent and I got it for roughly €700 less than it costs in Sweden where basically everything, except possibly oats, is seriously overpriced.
I have spent a lot of time in Canada. I owned a motorhome there for many years. Canadians just don't realize how lucky they are compared to us Swedes.
Of course I always made sure I returned with a full tank whenever I returned to Canada from the USA.
As far as DAVE is concerned I also consider 8000 USD a rip off price for a shiny piece of metal with a window, that does nothing more than convert digital 1s and 0s to analogue sound.
Talking about SQ again,last night's live BBC Proms Broadcast of Mahler's mighty 2nd Symphony via DAC 2 and HE1000V2 was imho, one of this season's real highlights so far.
A bit dynamically compressed compared to my hi res reference recording. But in most other respects very nice indeed. And very well recorded human voices, both soloists and choir.
Not a hint of artifical or digital sounding in spite of being lowly 16/48 via DAC2. I will listen to the same concert via HUGO later today for comparison.

I think we still have some things, like uncapped and reasonably priced internet connections, and free education, that are far better here in Nordics than in the US or Canada. Retail prices are usually awful in Finland too, but at least we can buy stuff customs-free from rest of EU. DAVE is something I won't even think about buying unless I win in the lottery, but Hugo 2 is very tempting.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:35 AM Post #7,308 of 22,516
I was never a big fan of the Mojo, but I'm loving the Hugo 2. Very clean-sounding - no hisses, pops, RFI, noise-floor, etc.

The only spurious noise I get from it is if I shake it - it seems to have a screw loose inside the casing. Anybody else notice something rattling around when you shake your Hugo 2?
No big deal, as I don't tend to shake it while listening. As long as that screw doesn't short anything out on the PCB...

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:37 AM Post #7,309 of 22,516
Sorry to keep answering every post. But, I don't believe in the brain being that vulnerable to altering states of audio confusion. When listening to my portable DAP, it sounds like my portable DAP. When I come home to H2, it sounds like my H2. Right off the bat, I noticed a great improvement over Hugo1 without agonizing over whether I was adjusting to something different and getting conditioned. These things sound like they do. We should give our ears more credit. I certainly do. Bog knows I don't trust the eyes. Smile graphic or something.
I am not agonizing, and I am not asking you to either.
The ability to sit back, and reflect on lifes experiences and then ask questions, is a human trait. It is not compulsory to use it.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:44 AM Post #7,310 of 22,516
I was never a big fan of the Mojo, but I'm loving the Hugo 2. Very clean-sounding - no hisses, pops, RFI, noise-floor, etc.

The only spurious noise I get from it is if I shake it - it seems to have a screw loose inside the casing. Anybody else notice something rattling around when you shake your Hugo 2?
No big deal, as I don't tend to shake it while listening. As long as that screw doesn't short anything out on the PCB...
I remember @guerph posting about that issue - https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-403#post-13609813
He returned his unit.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #7,311 of 22,516
Sorry to keep answering every post. But, I don't believe in the brain being that vulnerable to altering states of audio confusion. When listening to my portable DAP, it sounds like my portable DAP. When I come home to H2, it sounds like my H2. Right off the bat, I noticed a great improvement over Hugo1 without agonizing over whether I was adjusting to something different and getting conditioned. These things sound like they do. We should give our ears more credit. I certainly do. Bog knows I don't trust the eyes. Smile graphic or something.

I definitely believe that you felt right at home after an initial listen to Hugo2.

However I know that I needed some time to get used to it. So it seams like the perception of audio can differ from person to person, which leaves room and I suspect often times may be the reason, for quite controversial discussions in our hobby :)

Cheers

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #7,312 of 22,516

The rattling sound comes from the glass balls... Try holding them down and shake again :wink:

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #7,313 of 22,516
I think you are right about the brain adjusting to the change in resolution. Your post did make two thoughts/questions spring to mind:
  • It would feel 'not quite right', to have bought a €2500 dac, but then refrain from using it, and use the €500 dac instead. LOL
  • Being serious now, do people who use the Hugo 2 exclusively at home, and the Mojo exclusively for mobile, end up with a brain that is somewhere in the middle - 75% adjusted to the hugo 2, and at the same time 75% adjusted to the Mojo, with the result that they never get 100% enjoyment from either?

There are times where I want good sound but I don't feel it is convenient or safe to take Hugo 2 with me on my travels. I'm planning on taking Hugo 2 on long trips such as bus and car rides but have already taken it on neighborhood walks. Since Hugo 2 is quite big I have to wear cargo shorts and bring the remote control with me on my walks to adjust volume and filters. I have taken the Hugo 1 with me several times on the NYC subway but it always felt like a hassle so that is where Mojo/Poly comes in, It's just a smaller and easier to use solution when outdoors.

Now if Chord could figure out a way to 'emulate' Hugo 2's sound signature via Poly and a mobile app that would be great. Sure, one can do something similar with EQ but having pre-loaded profiles would be easier for consumers and would put some of the "dead-time" as JF said to good use.

There was only one reported case of an alleged screw in one user's Hugo 2 , unless you saw a screw inside your unit the rattling sounds you are hearing are actually just Hugo 2's balls.

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:04 AM Post #7,314 of 22,516
There was only one reported case of an alleged screw in one user's Hugo 2 , unless you saw a screw inside your unit the rattling sounds you are hearing are actually just Hugo 2's balls.

Thanks. Does everybody hear their balls rattling around?!?

One other small point. I can hear a slight noise floor with the SE846. It's very quiet, but it's there, and I'm obviously anal. I'm afraid the SE846 just hisses with everything :frowning2: (This noise floor on the Hugo 2 seems to be independent of volume setting.)
It's not a deal breaker by any means, but I didn't hear a noise floor when previously listening to Jude's demo model (and I deliberately went off to a quiet room and strained to hear the noise floor, but couldn't).
SE846 or Zeus owners??

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:38 AM Post #7,317 of 22,516
on the side with the usb and charge ports is it normal to have a little light bleed through if you are looking at in a very dark room? ie through the partition or gap where the two parts of the case meet? is this normal or is that the only possibility in a dark room ie in a room with the lights on you would not notice this at all.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #7,318 of 22,516
on the side with the usb and charge ports is it normal to have a little light bleed through if you are looking at in a very dark room? ie through the partition or gap where the two parts of the case meet? is this normal or is that the only possibility in a dark room ie in a room with the lights on you would not notice this at all.
@x RELIC x mentioned this in his review of the Hugo 2.

I do get some light bleeding through, so I took this photo last night.
SAM_1290.JPG

In an ideal world there would be no light leaking, but this is not an issue for me - I bought the Hugo 2 to listen to music, not also spend hours staring at the case. :wink:

Aug 19, 2017 at 11:53 AM Post #7,319 of 22,516
Hm I heard back from Curious Cables and they really use a Sennheiser 2.5mm TRRS connection for the separate power line... I thought it would be a hollow plug, which would be not as good as micro USB, but better than this... Why not use 6.3mm to make it even bulkier...
Anyone here owns a 28 cm Hugo Link with separateable power line and could upload a pic?

Cheers

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #7,320 of 22,516
hi there mike,

is that in a dark room or well lit room? i'm thinking in a dark room it is normal???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back