Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 19, 2017 at 6:20 PM Post #7,336 of 22,467
Just tried with my SE846 (normal filter) and I couldn't hear it at normal listening volume. I had to turn up to hearing-damaging volumes before I could start to hear any hiss.

The white noise I hear is independent of volume - I hear it even with the volume at zero. But I have to be in a very quiet room. The curious thing about these noise floors is plenty of people with excellent hearing just don't seem to hear them. Unfortunately I'm cursed with an anal brain that seems to be constantly searching for noise floors. It is very quiet on the Hugo 2, but not zero. At least not on my unit.

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:06 PM Post #7,337 of 22,467
Is there bug in the Format Type Descriptor of USB Audio in CHORD's DAC after Hugo?

In specification, the sampling rate of 32 kHz is not supported.
However, 32 kHz is displayed in macOS Audio MIDI Setup menu.
Really, DAC can not play at 32 kHz.
I think that this is caused by having a descriptor that supports 32 kHz.

Likewise, the volume slide bar is enabled, but it is not actually controlled.
I also think that this is caused by having a descriptor that supports volume control.

Not bug?

I've never heard of 32khz PCM recordings.. The base clock is either 44,1khz or 48khz and then multiples of either. ...

Aug 19, 2017 at 7:19 PM Post #7,338 of 22,467
The white noise I hear is independent of volume - I hear it even with the volume at zero. But I have to be in a very quiet room. The curious thing about these noise floors is plenty of people with excellent hearing just don't seem to hear them. Unfortunately I'm cursed with an anal brain that seems to be constantly searching for noise floors. It is very quiet on the Hugo 2, but not zero. At least not on my unit.

I heard some minor hiss with the JH Angie and K10 so I'm not surprised you heard some with the SE846.

About the noise floor indifference, I suspect it's likely because there's no volume pot and the volume control is digital.

Aug 19, 2017 at 8:33 PM Post #7,339 of 22,467
Talking about noise floors, I use the IE80 as a tool to test for it. As the IEM hisses with noisy sources and not necessarily on powerful sources. The hiss on the IE80 with the Hugo2 is undetectable in normal conditions. If you locked yourself in a room with total isolation, you'd hear a feeble hiss. And the hiss is definitely lower than what I used to have on the Mojo.

Zeus is a total different story. It hisses on both noisy sources as well as powerful sources as it is just too sensitive. So it is not an ideal IEM to determine a source's noise floor. But for the people who are curoius; yes, there is a feeble to noticeable hiss on the Zeus with the Hugo2.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:08 PM Post #7,340 of 22,467
I've never heard of 32khz PCM recordings.. The base clock is either 44,1khz or 48khz and then multiples of either. ...

I understand that.

DAC can't use 32kHz. But DAC answer can use 32kHz.
Actually, Can select 32kHz.
Not lock when playing at 32kHz.
Is it bug? If not bug, what purpose?
If it's bug, it would be better to not answer can use 32kHz.

Last edited:
Aug 19, 2017 at 9:32 PM Post #7,341 of 22,467
@harmonix, in some divx movies the sound codec use 32khz sample rate instead of 48/44.1kh to save space. I remember Hugo/mojo did have have problem in 32khz but j river quickly prompted to change the rate as per the rates supported by dac. imho as far as music is concerned there must be very little stuff with 32khz native rate.

Aug 19, 2017 at 10:21 PM Post #7,342 of 22,467
I am not agonizing, and I am not asking you to either.
The ability to sit back, and reflect on lifes experiences and then ask questions, is a human trait. It is not compulsory to use it.
Yes, guys, I think I was PWSing this morning. It is an interesting point of conversation as if there's brain adjustment, and your 75/25 percent speculation is an interesting point to consider. I notice a bit of adjustment hangover when switching btw i.e., Grado vs Audeze signatures. I worried a bit that after some adjustment with H2, I night not appreciate the sound like I did on first listen. Lucky it hasn't happened for me. In my case, I haven't noticed brain adjustment from device to device like I do with HPs. I'm sorry from my response to you and @Audi0nick128 . You've both been both curteous and helpful when I need it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 20, 2017 at 12:09 AM Post #7,343 of 22,467
I understand that.

DAC can't use 32kHz. But DAC answer can use 32kHz.
Actually, Can select 32kHz.
Not lock when playing at 32kHz.
Is it bug? If not bug, what purpose?
If it's bug, it would be better to not answer can use 32kHz.

If you look at your Hugo2 manual there is no indicator for 32khz... If you have non standard clock rate probably need software to resample it to a 44 or 48base clock.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:12 AM Post #7,344 of 22,467
@harmonix, in some divx movies the sound codec use 32khz sample rate instead of 48/44.1kh to save space. I remember Hugo/mojo did have have problem in 32khz but j river quickly prompted to change the rate as per the rates supported by dac. imho as far as music is concerned there must be very little stuff with 32khz native rate.

The Hugo2 manual does not indicate it can Handle 32khz Sampling rates.

Aug 20, 2017 at 12:27 AM Post #7,345 of 22,467
I've been deleting a lot of music files after hearing them through the H2...the Hugo2 has really exposed how much garbage I have in my collection.

Be careful, music that sounds bad/harsh from one piece of equipment might sound quite nice from another. That music might for example sound nice through a tube amp. No need to delete it, storage is cheap these days anyway.

Aug 20, 2017 at 1:40 AM Post #7,346 of 22,467
If you look at your Hugo2 manual there is no indicator for 32khz... If you have non standard clock rate probably need software to resample it to a 44 or 48base clock.

Thank you for your response.

It might be OK if I select it manually without mistakes.
It might be selected automatically. rkt31 wrote an example. Thank you rkt31.

manual and specification: not support 32kHz.
Hugo 2's answer: support 32kHz.

This conflict can cause a problem.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2017 at 2:13 AM Post #7,347 of 22,467

Here is what I don't understand ... The Hugo hardware , the manual and the specifications on the website DO NOT support 32kHz playback.
It needs a PCM or a DSD/DOP stream, the PCM stream can be based off 44.1kHz or 48kHz clocks and DSD/DOP is just a repacking DSD into a PCM stream so you can use the USB interface.
The Hugo2 hardware doesn't have a 32khz light so where is this "32kHz supported by Hugo2" coming from? You probably need software to resample the file into 44.1kHz or 48kHz.

The pertinent Hugo2 specs are below:

Connectivity (input): Micro USB (White): 44.1kHz – 768kHz – 16bit – 32bit

Coax via 3.5mm Jack (Red): 44.1kHz – 768kHz – 16bit – 32bit

Optical (Green): 44.1kHz – 192kHz – 16bit – 24bit

Connectivity (input wireless): Bluetooth (Apt X) (Blue): 44.1kHz – 48kHz – 16bit

Connectivity (output): 1x ¼” jack headphone output

1x 3.5mm jack headphone output

1x stereo (L & R) RCA output

PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz.

DSD support: Native playback supported. DSD64 (Single) to DSD512 (Octa-DSD)

Aug 20, 2017 at 2:56 AM Post #7,348 of 22,467

I think the answer is that Hugo2 does not support native 32kHz. I believe it up-samples it and can therefore play it back. I don't think there are any problems.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:07 AM Post #7,349 of 22,467
Hugo 2 has Format Type Descriptor of USB Audio.
Information of 32kHz support is in the descriptor.
I think that it is bug.

Hugo 2 answers that information to OS and application software.
So OS and application software understand Hugo 2 support 32kHz.

I'm sorry that my explanation and english is bad.

Aug 20, 2017 at 3:49 AM Post #7,350 of 22,467
You'll have to wait until Rob Watts sees the discussion and answers to know why it supports 32kHz. Likely it has to do with the USB receiver inside the Hugo 2 being able to accept it.

Nice to see another person in Japan by the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back