Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 19, 2017 at 7:33 PM Post #6,062 of 22,510
Just got my HUGO2

1. Should I let it charge first overnight before using?

2. Does it need to be burned in before it achieves its potential?

3. Does it need to be kept on an plugged in like the Schit mutibit DACs??

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:49 PM Post #6,063 of 22,510
I have the same rattle sound with the balls as every other owner; however, I picked it up the other day and a screw fell out onto my desk. It was one of the ten screws on the back of the device, but naturally I was surprised. If it had fallen on the carpet, I probably would have never noticed and vacuumed it up at a later time. I screwed it back in and tightened the rest at the same time. I know it's not the same as something loose inside the case, but I just wanted to point out that it's entirely within the realm of possibility. Please let us know what you find.
Would you mind telling what type of head's on the screw? I have one sticking out at the right front corner, and I don't want to chew them up with the wrong driver.

Jul 19, 2017 at 7:50 PM Post #6,064 of 22,510
Just got my HUGO2

1. Should I let it charge first overnight before using?

2. Does it need to be burned in before it achieves its potential?

3. Does it need to be kept on an plugged in like the Schit mutibit DACs??

1.yes
2.no, but your brain might
3.no but keep it plugged in is fine and off when not using.

Jul 19, 2017 at 8:10 PM Post #6,066 of 22,510
One of the things I enjoy about these threads is hearing about the albums that others are listening to while exploring the capabilities of their equipment. There are pieces of music I simply adore regardless of the production, and pieces that I enjoy due to the level of detail and overall demand they place on the equipment. In this case, I rediscovered an album that is amazingly beautiful and a wonderful show case for the Hugo 2. I'm listening through Tidal > Roon upsampled to 705 kHz > Hugo 2 > LCDi4 and it's just amazing.

It would be nice to see what others are (re)discovering. This entire album is amazing but if your not one for classical at least give track one a try from 11 mins through the end. Earlier in this thread someone posted a line about K D Lang who I could frankly care less about. I pulled it up on Tidal just to see what they were talking about, and much to my surprise, they were 100% correct. It did in fact sound fantastic (all though it won't make it to my daily rotation :)
upload_2017-7-19_20-5-13.png

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #6,067 of 22,510
Someone said that the serial numbers were consecutive. Maybe a bad batch?

Mine and Chianti's were two serial #'s apart, both from Audio46. I got my replacement from them Friday, and it's the next # up from my old one. So far, no issues. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Musickid had the same issue, but didn't get it from Audio46, and had a serial # far from mine. So hard to say if there's any pattern.

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:06 PM Post #6,069 of 22,510
Jul 19, 2017 at 11:16 PM Post #6,070 of 22,510
can’t seem to get my H2 to enter line level mode–never had a problem with the Mojo.

I hold down X-PHD before pressing the power button. and then I keep holding it down. it cycles through all the colors 3(?) times and then goes blue (not purple/violet).

anyone have a trick?

Jul 19, 2017 at 11:38 PM Post #6,071 of 22,510
OK, so now that I've had my replacement Hugo2 for the better part of a week, and the volume marble seems to be holding up, a few impressions. I'm listening almost entirely with Campfire Audio Lyra II's. As I mentioned in another post, I love these things. I spent a ton of time at NYC Canjam listening to Vegas, Dorados and Lyra II's (and talking to the truly awesome CA guys) at CA's booth, and in an excruciatingly rare turn of events, my preference was not for the most expensive item. The Vegas were incredible, but made me feel like I was running full speed ahead the whole time I had them on, while the Lyra II's just nailed an easy, fluid, natural musicality that I can't get enough of. Subjective, for sure, but that's my taste. In any case, you should try to audition them all before assuming the most expensive is automatically the best.

Anyway, I've used them with the Mojo a lot, which has been great, but I was very excited to hear them with Hugo2. Here's a partial playlist, from Tidal and HD files:
- Radiohead, Moon Shaped Pool
- Charles Mingus, Mingus Ah Um
- Ben Folds, So There
- Thelonious Monk, Monk's Music
- Miles Davis, Miles Smiles
- Oliver Nelson, The Blues and the Abstract Truth
- XTC, Skylarking
- Frank Zappa, The Grand Wazoo

I've been trying to think of a way to describe the sheer musicality, the clarity, the separation, the in-the-momentness that this combo is bringing for me. And I keep coming back to this:
If my ears had hands, they could reach into the music and touch the instruments. They sound like they're right there. I can hear the light reflecting off the brass instruments, the grain of the wood of the woodwinds, the percussiveness of the piano keys, the air around the drumsticks... honestly, it's startlingly tactile every time I listen.

Until now, I'd never had much experience with crossfeed, and I'm finding it to be essential, on the lowest (red) setting. It just makes everything sound like a coherent whole, instead of two disconnected halves, while still maintaining all the joys of stereo separation. Makes my brain feel like it's breathing.

Lastly, the filters... count me among the people who can't hear a difference, unfortunately. Mayyyybe I can tell when I go from red back to white, but I'm not even sure. Could be my 53 year old ears not doing so well on the highest frequencies.

Anyway, wow.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #6,072 of 22,510
can’t seem to get my H2 to enter line level mode–never had a problem with the Mojo.

I hold down X-PHD before pressing the power button. and then I keep holding it down. it cycles through all the colors 3(?) times and then goes blue (not purple/violet).

anyone have a trick?

I suspect that it is actually supposed to go blue. Could someone who knows please help?

Jul 20, 2017 at 1:44 AM Post #6,073 of 22,510

anyone have a trick?

If the color changes from your set volume previous to turning off the Hugo2 then it's being set to line-level volume. So, if the volume was red before you turned it off and is now blue by holding down the buttons then you've successfully set the 3Vrms output. Perhaps the LEDs aren't as accurate as the printed manual.

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:16 AM Post #6,074 of 22,510
One of the things I enjoy about these threads is hearing about the albums that others are listening to while exploring the capabilities of their equipment. There are pieces of music I simply adore regardless of the production, and pieces that I enjoy due to the level of detail and overall demand they place on the equipment. In this case, I rediscovered an album that is amazingly beautiful and a wonderful show case for the Hugo 2. I'm listening through Tidal > Roon upsampled to 705 kHz > Hugo 2 > LCDi4 and it's just amazing.

It would be nice to see what others are (re)discovering. This entire album is amazing but if your not one for classical at least give track one a try from 11 mins through the end. Earlier in this thread someone posted a line about K D Lang who I could frankly care less about. I pulled it up on Tidal just to see what they were talking about, and much to my surprise, they were 100% correct. It did in fact sound fantastic (all though it won't make it to my daily rotation :)
To what classical track are you refering?

Jul 20, 2017 at 5:30 AM Post #6,075 of 22,510
To what classical track are you refering?
Alisa wilerstein, I personally like her solo work but the poster was referring to dovorak album. Devorak is said to be the premier composer for cellos, she is an lead soloist. Seen her live, intense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back