Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:14 AM Post #6,077 of 22,511
One of the things I enjoy about these threads is hearing about the albums that others are listening to while exploring the capabilities of their equipment. There are pieces of music I simply adore regardless of the production, and pieces that I enjoy due to the level of detail and overall demand they place on the equipment. In this case, I rediscovered an album that is amazingly beautiful and a wonderful show case for the Hugo 2. I'm listening through Tidal > Roon upsampled to 705 kHz > Hugo 2 > LCDi4 and it's just amazing.

It would be nice to see what others are (re)discovering. This entire album is amazing but if your not one for classical at least give track one a try from 11 mins through the end. Earlier in this thread someone posted a line about K D Lang who I could frankly care less about. I pulled it up on Tidal just to see what they were talking about, and much to my surprise, they were 100% correct. It did in fact sound fantastic (all though it won't make it to my daily rotation :)
Nice to read that at least some here care about HIGH INFORMATION CONTENT MUSIC, as Dvorak's superb Cello Concerto.
I have this recording in its native 24/96 masterfile version.
Musically it is one of the best of all recordings of this masterpiece. But I think it suffers slightly from a too closemic'd cello.
At times the cello sounds very close-up with the orchestra as if in the background.Too much zooming done
Not the way it would sound live in that hall. Trust me I know.
But all in all still pretty good.
Enjoy.
For a slightly more distantly mic'd cello and a wee bit warmer cello Channel Classic's DSD recording of the same work is also worth hearing.And in spite of a not ideal DGG SQ there is of course also the Rostropovich /Karajan BPO recording from the late 60s to be taken into account if one like me really loves this great work.
I have the Rostropovich on LP .But I saw that it is also available as 24/96 download from some sites.
The 24/96 downloads from both DECCA, Philps, EMI, and DGG of old classic recordings generally gets one one step closer to the mastertape than both the LP versions and any rbcd release.
They tend to retain the timing and ease of reproduction and flow of the LPs and squeeze a few dB more dynamic range out of them than was put on to LP.
While the rbcd versions of many of them chops up the music into the bandwidth limited realm of too few bits and too few samples.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #6,078 of 22,511
That's why devorak is touted as a cellists composer among his great works.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #6,081 of 22,511
those are some weird-ass plugs.

bullet-plug.jpg

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:24 AM Post #6,084 of 22,511
FYI, tried to compare to my 2Qute in my main system, but my interconnects, ETI Research (formerly Eichmann) Bullet Plug RCA connectors won't fit.

Oh oh... I hope the KLE Absolute Harmony will fit, wanted to use those for my DIY cable and I fear the dimensions are similar.
Did anyone try those?

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #6,085 of 22,511
I'm eager to see someone comparison between Hugo2 and other DAC like Kitsune Level 3 Dac and yggdrasil Dac
Kitsune level 3 but you are comparing a desktop to a portable, R2R to fpga but reliable sources suggest level 3, yggy maybe not

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 9:43 AM Post #6,086 of 22,511
If the color changes from your set volume previous to turning off the Hugo2 then it's being set to line-level volume. So, if the volume was red before you turned it off and is now blue by holding down the buttons then you've successfully set the 3Vrms output. Perhaps the LEDs aren't as accurate as the printed manual.
Relic is spot on. I had the same "issue" because I was expecting a different marble to turn blue. You don't need to hold the button down during the power cycle. Simply hit the button once while it's turning on and you'll see the volume button turn blue. You can still adjust the volume at that point but it takes you away from the gain sweet spot. When I want to go back to using the Hugo by itself I always cycle the power again to be safe but think you can probably just plug phones back in and adjust the volume accordingly. I could be wrong but don't think there is much to this setting other than that.

Jul 20, 2017 at 9:55 AM Post #6,087 of 22,511
hey, what the h**' is the problem with windows 10 + tidal + hugo 2? I had Tidal and Hugo 2 running fine on windows 7. Now the sound just clearly distorted. is it entirely a Tidal bug. well I can't be since any sound source through windows 10 to H2 is distorted.

What am I missing here? Please help.

And apologies if I am breaching and thread rules. I'm fully in control just now..

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #6,088 of 22,511
hey, what the h**' is the problem with windows 10 + tidal + hugo 2? I had Tidal and Hugo 2 running fine on windows 7. Now the sound just clearly distorted. is it entirely a Tidal bug. well I can't be since any sound source through windows 10 to H2 is distorted.

What am I missing here? Please help.

And apologies if I am breaching and thread rules. I'm fully in control just now..
Stupid question, but did you update the driver from the W7 Chord driver to W10?

Jul 20, 2017 at 10:13 AM Post #6,089 of 22,511
Nice to read that at least some here care about HIGH INFORMATION CONTENT MUSIC, as Dvorak's superb Cello Concerto.
I have this recording in its native 24/96 masterfile version.
Musically it is one of the best of all recordings of this masterpiece. But I think it suffers slightly from a too closemic'd cello.
At times the cello sounds very close-up with the orchestra as if in the background.Too much zooming done
Not the way it would sound live in that hall. Trust me I know.
But all in all still pretty good.
Enjoy.
For a slightly more distantly mic'd cello and a wee bit warmer cello Channel Classic's DSD recording of the same work is also worth hearing.And in spite of a not ideal DGG SQ there is of course also the Rostropovich /Karajan BPO recording from the late 60s to be taken into account if one like me really loves this great work.
I have the Rostropovich on LP .But I saw that it is also available as 24/96 download from some sites.
The 24/96 downloads from both DECCA, Philps, EMI, and DGG of old classic recordings generally gets one one step closer to the mastertape than both the LP versions and any rbcd release.
They tend to retain the timing and ease of reproduction and flow of the LPs and squeeze a few dB more dynamic range out of them than was put on to LP.
While the rbcd versions of many of them chops up the music into the bandwidth limited realm of too few bits and too few samples.

Is this the Channel Classic's DSD recording you were referring to? https://channelclassics.nativedsd.com/albums/concerto-for-cello-and-orchestrasymphonic-variations (While not DSD, the album is also available on Tidal. With Roon's up-sampling a recording of this level should do well on it's own)....

Side note...... The mic placement is very close, too close according to some but to me that is one of the things I like about this recording. While maybe not ideal from a balance standpoint the level of detail is astounding. Purely from an "audiophile" standpoint, I often prefer a smaller group ensemble for this very reason and this provides the best of both world (large + small). However this is a good recording to experiment with the crossfeed function. With the mic placement I think level one of crossfeed adds more than it detracts from my enjoyment.

Last edited:
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:14 AM Post #6,090 of 22,511
Hell yeah. AND all is really really fine now. weird. I GUESS that it is due to some kind of network issue. Since a reboot did not solve it. Now I shut down the pc. Back up. Foobar = great sound. Tidal = great sound. back on track.

First world problems eh!? :)

Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back