Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #6,001 of 22,475
I have been testing different sources these last few days and have found that a Regen/LPS-1 hooked up to an ipad/JB sounds an order of magnitude better than just the ipad and jitterbug alone.

The ipad/JB sounds flat and not as musical in comparison. The regen/lps-1 hooked up to the iPad sounds more realistic with better timing, soundstage width and depth. To put it frankly, the combo just gets more out of Hugo 2 and increases my involvement quite a bit.I don't even need to use the crossfeed settings, it already sounds out of head and believable, but the crossfeed does further increase immersion. Tomorrow I will be receiving my ISO REGEN and we'll see where it goes from there :D

Thanks for this, very helpful. I look forward to your further testing. Keep up the good work.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:05 PM Post #6,002 of 22,475
The red and orange filter gives vocals a very euphonic sound that I do enjoy from time to time. I think that in terms of intimacy the red filter is the closest to Mojo (I sense more 'bloom' to the sound) combine that with crossfeed on red or green and you get a wonderful full bodied and euphonic sound. Try it with your JH13 and let me know what you think.

The trade off, however, is that Hugo 2's wonderful timing (the starting and stopping of notes) is less evident as Rob intended. Not everyone may be able to hear this right away but I sure can.

Overall, I prefer the white filter on the majority of my songs.

This is precisely where I am at...now.

The white filter is what I use and enjoy the most. I want to take in as much as possible. I find the red filter to take the edge off the very rough soundboard recordings and give it some warmth, but this is a small portion of my music.

I hope to grasp the timing that you describe. I believe it is a matter of experience with well recorded music.

great post.

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #6,003 of 22,475
I think that now that we are starting to get a lot of user feedback about the experience of how to best use the Hugo 2 in the real world, that this would be an opportune time for @ChordElectronics to start to capture the most useful information in post #2, in the same manner that @Mython did in the Mojo thread.
What do the rest of you think?

Great idea. I am such a beginner in understanding the depth of this thing. I have so much to learn...for example, the impact of the x feed on live recordings that are mastered seems to increase bass. The "mojo filter" sounds great on live, unmastered raw recordings.

But the "DAVE" filter...wow. I lack the vocabulary to describe the detail.

PS: The link with the H2 cover off...very interesting! The case, however...that's the old case, correct?

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 4:19 PM Post #6,004 of 22,475
Guys I know em5813 gas gotten a bad rep but I find it to pair stunningly well with Hugo/hugo2.

I'm so tempted to go with upgrade but I'm not sure of trading my perfectly well hugo/mojo. Is there ex-hugo owners who have upgraded to hugo2? How do you guys feel?

Jul 18, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #6,005 of 22,475
hey thanks for this. Will the dig aud players own internal DAC interfere with Hugo 2? sorry for beginner question. I went to fiio website and it talks about how good their players dacs are

Nope. A DAC converts digital to analogue so when feeding a digital signal to the Hugo2 there is no way it could have gone through the source's DAC.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:02 PM Post #6,006 of 22,475
Guys I know em5813 gas gotten a bad rep but I find it to pair stunningly well with Hugo/hugo2.

I'm so tempted to go with upgrade but I'm not sure of trading my perfectly well hugo/mojo. Is there ex-hugo owners who have upgraded to hugo2? How do you guys feel?

give me a week or two and ill post my thoughts on this

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:03 PM Post #6,007 of 22,475
I see that you have HD650. Have any listening impessions with HG2 and HD650, if so, how well do HG2 drive them and hows the synergy? Really Liked the idsd bl with HD650.
I was going to ask the same question as @Christer . I am wondering whether it is the unnatural sound of headphones that may be the cause of the problems and whether crossfeed may help. The other thing is that listening via headphones makes you concentrate more on the music, so that could be the cause in itself.

Hmm. A couple of as usual, purely personal and subjective observations from me with regard to, first crossfeed which at least to my ears and well knowing from personal experience that most classical music is both monitored at sessions via headphones and already has been mixed to sound good via headphones too. Crossfeed to me sounds artificial and IS ARTIFICIAL and not natural partly because it adds yet another step of mixing channels that has in most cases already been done with classical music productions.

And therefore most naturally balanced recordings almost always sound more realistic completely without,than with crossfeed engaged at any level.

Personally I don't really care how those with little or no knowledge of how things actually sounded live in the hall, prefer to listen to their music.
I also suspect that adding more confusion than bits and sampling music digitally already do by adding cross feed as well would help Hyatt's wife process digital data any better?
I may be wrong regarding her, but in my case it makes things worse and more artificial, not more realistic.

I personally clearly prefer not to mess around with things the way crossfeed inevitably does.

Regarding HD 650 also mentioned above, they were imho,good headphones, but have long ago been superceded by clearly better more resolving ones.
I still have a pair but haven't used them for years. I am even considering retiring my HD 800 now that I have the HE1000V2.
Regarding my own reason for asking about Hyatt's wife's reactions to both live music, and digital and possible reactions to analogue was that I have yet to hear digital that sounds as harmonically and timbrally and tonally close to real live acoustic music as the best of analogue can do at its very best.
For me the best reference after the one and only ultimate one, live acoustic music, is still direct cut LP and analogue tape in spite of their respective well known technically measurable limitations compared to digital in some ways.
After listening to Tchaikovsky's 6th via large and very transparent speakers and some 500 watts amping per channel and both my dacs HUGO and Benchmark today, with their differing flavours and digital colourations ,and takes on digital " music mincing" I actually needed an "ear-cleaning" and brain cleaning session afterwards.
I chose the ,after all these years, (it was recorded direct to LP in 1977,) in some important respects, still unrivalled Sheffield Labs LP of Prokofiev's suite from Romeo and Juliet with the LAPO and Leinsdorf conducting.
It can still fool my brain into believing and immensely enjoying,hearing, real live acoustic instruments,more convincingly than both HUGO 1 and Benchmark can.

I am not at all surprised that Hyatt's wife obviously loves live acoustic music, but experiences problems with digital.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 5:13 PM Post #6,008 of 22,475
This is precisely where I am at...now.

The white filter is what I use and enjoy the most. I want to take in as much as possible. I find the red filter to take the edge off the very rough soundboard recordings and give it some warmth, but this is a small portion of my music.

I hope to grasp the timing that you describe. I believe it is a matter of experience with well recorded music.

great post.
I find a little grainyness or slight roughness on the orange/red filters that I didn't notice with the other two. going to try the green for a moderate time, as I have a fair amount of high-res music, and it isn't supposed to affect CD quality music.

Jul 18, 2017 at 5:48 PM Post #6,009 of 22,475
I see that you have HD650. Have any listening impessions with HG2 and HD650, if so, how well do HG2 drive them and hows the synergy? Really Liked the idsd bl with HD650.

IMHO not loving the HD650 with the Hugo 2. i feel/hear like it accentuates the infamous "Sennheiser veil"...

Focal Elear and SE846 on the other hand are kicking my ass. sounds amazing.

Jul 18, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #6,010 of 22,475
IMHO not loving the HD650 with the Hugo 2. i feel/hear like it accentuates the infamous "Sennheiser veil"...

Focal Elear and SE846 on the other hand are kicking my ass. sounds amazing.

i'm also selling my senn650s...was listening to them against the sony z1r a few wks back
(on iFi micro idsd) and what a diff in the details, layers.

wonder how the z1r sounds on the hugo2.....thought i'd read macedonian hero enjoyed the duo
the elear also interest me as does the nightowl as a 2nd pair for work

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 6:57 PM Post #6,011 of 22,475
...crossfeed which at least to my ears and well knowing from personal experience that most classical music is both monitored at sessions via headphones and already has been mixed to sound good via headphones too. Crossfeed to me sounds artificial and IS ARTIFICIAL and not natural partly because it adds yet another step of mixing channels that has in most cases already been done with classical music productions. And therefore most naturally balanced recordings almost always sound more realistic completely without, than with crossfeed engaged at any level.
I disagree. I listen to a lot of classical music, and I don't own one single recording that already takes care of the problem with low-frequency channel separation. Of course I don't know which recordings you own, but I heavily doubt that your collection only consists of binaural and XY-stereophony 2-microphone recordings. Apart from those two recording types, it's absolutely unthinkable that any sound engineer would integrate crossfeed into his speaker-based recordings – it would be a great mistake. It's in fact the other way round: You have to apply crossfeed for eliminating a serious incompatibility between recordings made for speaker reproduction and headphones, because listening to headphones is by nature artificial. Fortunately one of the unwanted effects, the unnatural low-frequency channel separation, can easlily be fixed, without doing much harm to the perceived sound (rather the opposite). But I can understand why you hear it the other way: It's impossible to get all the spatial cues from various directions in a concert hall from headphones (whereas even speakers «recreate» some of them in a listening room), so the artificial low-frequency channel separation is some sort of substitute, after all it may contribute to the impression of a richer content of spatial cues in a recording. Natural it isn't.

Moreover you seem to speak only for your preferred genre, classical music, and leave all other genres out. Most of them are studio recordings and comprise enormous amounts of headphone-incompatible low-frequency channel separation (actually even most live recordings are no exception). I absolutely can't stand it, it is so clearly unnatural to the ears. I've read people describe a feeling of «phasiness», and I can absolutely reproduce it. In many cases a good crossfeed can even make the sound more threedimensional instead of artificially spreaded in one dimension.

Nevertheless, I'm not entirely happy with Chord's crossfeed implementation: To my ears it increases low frequencies too much. I do understand the idea behind it, but somehow it doesn't work to my ears.

Before I forget: There's one specific case where crossfeed may lead to an unwanted result. Another Head-Fi member has mentioned a recording with a double bass obviously recorded in opposite phases for left and right channel. Crossfeed will simply erase it. Fortunately it can be turned off. However, I will say that such a recording flaw shouldn't be used as an argument against crossfeed. Who wants a «phasy» double-bass!

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 7:15 PM Post #6,012 of 22,475
I think that now that we are starting to get a lot of user feedback about the experience of how to best use the Hugo 2 in the real world, that this would be an opportune time for @ChordElectronics to start to capture the most useful information in post #2, in the same manner that @Mython did in the Mojo thread.
What do the rest of you think?

Heheh...

that's a lot of work, that's what I think...

:)

Jul 18, 2017 at 7:44 PM Post #6,013 of 22,475
I disagree. I listen to a lot of classical music, and I don't own one single recording that already takes care of the problem with low-frequency channel separation. Of course I don't know which recordings you own, but I heavily doubt that your collection only consists of binaural and XY-stereophony 2-microphone recordings. Apart from those two recording types, it's absolutely unthinkable that any sound engineer would integrate crossfeed into his speaker-based recordings – it would be a great mistake. It's in fact the other way round: You have to apply crossfeed for eliminating a serious incompatibility between recordings made for speaker reproduction and headphones, because listening to headphones is by nature artificial. Fortunately one of the unwanted effects, the unnatural low-frequency channel separation, can easlily be fixed, without doing much harm to the perceived sound (rather the opposite). But I can understand why you hear it the other way: It's impossible to get all the spatial cues from various directions in a concert hall from headphones (whereas even speakers «recreate» some of them in a listening room), so the artificial low-frequency channel separation is some sort of substitute, after all it may contribute to the impression of a richer content of spatial cues in a recording. Natural it isn't.

Moreover you seem to speak only for your preferred genre, classical music, and leave all other genres out. Most of them are studio recordings and comprise enormous amounts of headphone-incompatible low-frequency channel separation (actually even most live recordings are no exception). I absolutely can't stand it, it is so clearly unnatural to the ears. I've read people describe a feeling of «phasiness», and I can absolutely reproduce it. In many cases a good crossfeed can even make the sound more threedimensional instead of artificially spreaded in one dimension.

Nevertheless, I'm not entirely happy with Chord's crossfeed implementation: To my ears it increases low frequencies too much. I do understand the idea behind it, but somehow it doesn't work to my ears.

Before I forget: There's one specific case where crossfeed may lead to an unwanted result. Another Head-Fi member has mentioned a recording with a double bass obviously recorded in opposite phases for left and right channel. Crossfeed will simply erase it. Fortunately it can be turned off. However, I will say that such a recording flaw shouldn't be used as an argument against crossfeed. Who wants a «phasy» double-bass!

May I ask if you use Roon? If so, what Crossfeed settings would you recommend? Thank JaZZ.

Jul 18, 2017 at 8:41 PM Post #6,014 of 22,475
No, sorry! No Roon. I use my own crossfeed, adapted to the respective recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back