Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 18, 2017 at 11:43 AM Post #5,986 of 22,475
my replacement black H2 arrives Friday. thats great so quick. apparently chord set aside some units in case faults develop and replacements need to be sent out pronto so my dealer says. the volume slider ball on the present unit may not have had the volume encoder soldered on correctly. i experimented with xfeed and found although not a night and day SQ difference i don't think that was the intention. the closest i can describe it it is as if the music has to breath harder on zero or min xfeed but when max xfeed is chosen the music breathes freely and just shakes off those unwanted cobwebs. at present i am not able to accurately articulate audio terminology against what i am hearing. timbre/tonal balance and so on hence the cobwebs. even though i understand the audio science terms as written on paper linking them to what i hear is still new ground for me.:ear::ear::ear:

Jul 18, 2017 at 11:50 AM Post #5,987 of 22,475
hey thanks for this. Will the dig aud players own internal DAC interfere with Hugo 2? sorry for beginner question. I went to fiio website and it talks about how good their players dacs are

Fiio DAPs are a great value for their price. But Hugo 2 is much more sophisticated in terms of Sound Quality and Fidelity.

Fiio players are very good sources for Chord DACs. DACs in the Fiio players will not interfere when you are using the DAP as the source for the Hugo 2.

Is that what you were asking?

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #5,988 of 22,475
stop shaking it.

take my word i wasnt shaking it when I first heard it..all i did was pick it up and turn it over to look at it....that said as long as it is only the balls moving around no problem

Jul 18, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #5,989 of 22,475
take my word i wasnt shaking it when I first heard it..all i did was pick it up and turn it over to look at it....that said as long as it is only the balls moving around no problem

My unit rattles too, I'm pretty sure it's by design, that along with the colored lights is part of the fun factor.

Just the other day I was playing around with filters listing to music in my bed and Huo 2 was pretty much projecting a rainbow of colors onto my ceiling, pretty cool!

Jul 18, 2017 at 1:17 PM Post #5,990 of 22,475
my replacement black H2 arrives Friday. thats great so quick. apparently chord set aside some units in case faults develop and replacements need to be sent out pronto so my dealer says. the volume slider ball on the present unit may not have had the volume encoder soldered on correctly. i experimented with xfeed and found although not a night and day SQ difference i don't think that was the intention. the closest i can describe it it is as if the music has to breath harder on zero or min xfeed but when max xfeed is chosen the music breathes freely and just shakes off those unwanted cobwebs. at present i am not able to accurately articulate audio terminology against what i am hearing. timbre/tonal balance and so on hence the cobwebs. even though i understand the audio science terms as written on paper linking them to what i hear is still new ground for me.:ear::ear::ear:

My favorite crossfeed level is green, what I notice with the crossfeed on is images, instruments, vocals, are all fleshed out and have a lot more body and depth to it. I can hear more of what is going on and don't have to concentrate nearly as much since my brain is handed a spatially bigger presentation with more depth. (The is with IE 80's btw)

I have been testing different sources these last few days and have found that a Regen/LPS-1 hooked up to an ipad/JB sounds an order of magnitude better than just the ipad and jitterbug alone.

The ipad/JB sounds flat and not as musical in comparison. The regen/lps-1 hooked up to the iPad sounds more realistic with better timing, soundstage width and depth. To put it frankly, the combo just gets more out of Hugo 2 and increases my involvement quite a bit.I don't even need to use the crossfeed settings, it already sounds out of head and believable, but the crossfeed does further increase immersion. Tomorrow I will be receiving my ISO REGEN and we'll see where it goes from there :D

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #5,991 of 22,475
Fiio DAPs are a great value for their price. But Hugo 2 is much more sophisticated in terms of Sound Quality and Fidelity.

Fiio players are very good sources for Chord DACs. DACs in the Fiio players will not interfere when you are using the DAP as the source for the Hugo 2.

Is that what you were asking?

yeah exactly. thanks I just didn't want to spend $$ for great DAC from Cord and have it interfered with by player.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #5,992 of 22,475
I was going to ask the same question as @Christer . I am wondering whether it is the unnatural sound of headphones that may be the cause of the problems and whether crossfeed may help. The other thing is that listening via headphones makes you concentrate more on the music, so that could be the cause in itself.

She has listened through headphones/earphones for many years. It is very different than speakers and background music. This is a good point about concentration.

Others have described similar experiences with mild autism; the sensory overload.

The first time she listened via Mojo was the point of demarcation. At that time, it was the same source and same IEM (later upgraded) that was used.

Going from iPhone IEM to iPhone IEM + Mojo (same music) was startling. It took awhile to be comfortable which then led to second purchase of Mojo.

Going from iPhone, IEM, same music Mojo to same music, same iPhone, same IEM but now with H2 was a perceivable difference in comfort. She is now becoming comfortable the more she listens.

This is not likely, however, to lead to...

:santa:

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,993 of 22,475
My favorite crossfeed level is green, what I notice with the crossfeed on is images, instruments, vocals, are all fleshed out and have a lot more body and depth to it. I can hear more of what is going on and don't have to concentrate nearly as much since my brain is handed a spatially bigger presentation with more depth. (The is with IE 80's btw)

I have been testing different sources these last few days and have found that a Regen/LPS-1 hooked up to an ipad/JB sounds an order of magnitude better than just the ipad and jitterbug alone.

The ipad/JB sounds flat and not as musical in comparison. The regen/lps-1 hooked up to the iPad sounds more realistic with better timing, soundstage width and depth. To put it frankly, the combo just gets more out of Hugo 2 and increases my involvement quite a bit.I don't even need to use the crossfeed settings, it already sounds out of head and believable, but the crossfeed does further increase immersion. Tomorrow I will be receiving my ISO REGEN and we'll see where it goes from there :D
Some detailed comparisons between Regen and its IsoRegen replacement would be great.

Jul 18, 2017 at 2:32 PM Post #5,994 of 22,475

I LOVE these types of descriptions as they help me to try to quantify what I am experiencing and I try to see if I can experience similar things. Right now, I find the cross feed is very useful in live recordings. I also find that the red filter gives a warmth to unmixed live soundboard recordings.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #5,995 of 22,475
I've had the Hugo 2 for over a week now. I agree everyone who says that compared to the Mojo, it's more open (deeper and wider) in space and soundstage. The imaging and 3Dness and detail is definitely improved. However, I do find a strength in the Mojo over the Hugo 2, I find the Mojo more midcentric, especially with my JH13 and hence do find them, to my taste, more engaging, especially the vocals.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #5,996 of 22,475
I have received H2, two weeks ago, but was travelling in Asia. Hence today first audition. In respect to H1 I like it much better, it is more balanced than H1 and very natural. Since my LCD X are in repair I bought Camfire Vega, and the combo sounds really well. I also tried LCD 2 with H 2 and again a very compelling combo. Besides the high sound quality, I like the quality of the case. It is really nice. Btw as suggested some threads ago (before censoring) mine is silver, because it is less sensible than the black one.

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:25 PM Post #5,997 of 22,475
I think that now that we are starting to get a lot of user feedback about the experience of how to best use the Hugo 2 in the real world, that this would be an opportune time for @ChordElectronics to start to capture the most useful information in post #2, in the same manner that @Mython did in the Mojo thread.
What do the rest of you think?

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:28 PM Post #5,998 of 22,475
I think that now that we are starting to get a lot of user feedback about the experience of how to best use the Hugo 2 in the real world, that this would be an opportune time for @ChordElectronics to start to capture the most useful information in post #2, in the same manner that @Mython did in the Mojo thread.
What do the rest of you think?
Great idea, also is somebody is courageous enough (and not as lazy as me / possibly Chord) I would like to see the inner of H2...

Jul 18, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #5,999 of 22,475
Last edited:
Jul 18, 2017 at 3:45 PM Post #6,000 of 22,475
I LOVE these types of descriptions as they help me to try to quantify what I am experiencing and I try to see if I can experience similar things. Right now, I find the cross feed is very useful in live recordings. I also find that the red filter gives a warmth to unmixed live soundboard recordings.

However, I do find a strength in the Mojo over the Hugo 2, I find the Mojo more midcentric, especially with my JH13 and hence do find them, to my taste, more engaging, especially the vocals.

The red and orange filter gives vocals a very euphonic sound that I do enjoy from time to time. I think that in terms of intimacy the red filter is the closest to Mojo (I sense more 'bloom' to the sound) combine that with crossfeed on red or green and you get a wonderful full bodied and euphonic sound. Try it with your JH13 and let me know what you think.

The trade off, however, is that Hugo 2's wonderful timing (the starting and stopping of notes) is less evident as Rob intended. Not everyone may be able to hear this right away but I sure can.

Overall, I prefer the white filter on the majority of my songs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back