Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 6:31 PM Post #4,771 of 22,475
iso regen came out about 1 mo ago..supposed to be significantly better than the amber or original regen
all at computeraudiophile.

Ah thanks for letting me know...
Now I wonder if this will be inside a ultrarendu.

Cheers

Jun 22, 2017 at 7:03 PM Post #4,772 of 22,475
Ah thanks for letting me know...
Now I wonder if this will be inside a ultrarendu.

Cheers

I have tried to ask this a couple of times on the CA forum and it hasn't been answered. Guess they don't want to compromise sales of the ISO Regen just yet, and Sonore don't want to give too much away before the Ultrarendu is ready.
For what it's worth I believe I read on CA a long time ago that the Regen in the miocrorendu is actually superior to the original (mark 2) Regen.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #4,774 of 22,475
Anyone here tried their hugo 2 with Mr Speakers Ether Flow. Im interested what that combo sounds like.

I'm loving it right now.

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:58 PM Post #4,776 of 22,475
I have tried to ask this a couple of times on the CA forum and it hasn't been answered. Guess they don't want to compromise sales of the ISO Regen just yet, and Sonore don't want to give too much away before the Ultrarendu is ready.
For what it's worth I believe I read on CA a long time ago that the Regen in the miocrorendu is actually superior to the original (mark 2) Regen.

I asked uptone this a while back

me:
the new iso regen...will it be included in the upcoming ultrarendu? i have the mr and a recently purchased lps1 ...
I"m considering adding the isoregen to my laptop to dac chain....but will the ultrarendu include this....trying to future proof my purchases a bit.

uptone:
Thanks for your interest in our ISO REGEN. Your question would be more appropriately directed at Sonore since the ultraRendu is their product.
I will tell you two things which I don’t think will violate my confidence with Sonore.
1) The ultraRendu will not be using the Silanna high-speed USB isolator chip that we use in the ISO REGEN, since:
a) The microRendu/ultraRendu, being Ethernet attached, are already galvanicly isolated from the rest of your system;
b) Use of the Silanna at the output of the Rendus does not make sense, and a separate power supply (meaning 2 for the box) would be required.
2) Like the IOS REGEN, the ultraRendu will have an upgraded, ultra-low-phase-noise clock.
Hope that helps.
Of course whatever you do, and regardless of which Sonore Rendu (or even SOtM streamer, or REGEN) you get,
our UltraCap LPS-1 power supply will quite significantly elevate them all—while helping those devices to fulfill their promise as an isolated source.

me:
so do you suggest 2 x lps power supplies if you have both an microrendu and isoregen?

uptone:
It is certainly nice. :)
That very topic is being discussed on the forum:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31877-iso-regen-listening-impressions-kicked-off-with-some-measurements/?page=11

Jun 23, 2017 at 2:39 AM Post #4,777 of 22,475
I'd be interested in your XCs or Angies, when you have a chance. I have Xs, but they might be close.

I haven't had a chance to get around to my XC or Angie's yet with the Hugo2. What I'm most curious about is my XC given that they sounded pretty bad (to me) in terms of upper mids and lower treble from the Mojo (as I noted in my Mojo review) and the DAVE. I find that with the Mojo and DAVE the gap widens between headphone sound signatures and I suspect this is why I didn't like my LCD-XC so much from the Chord gear, but I like them with other gear (still bright to me though, you might love them). The majority of my other headphones are great with the Mojo and DAVE IMO... especially the Utopia.

As I've mentioned before, I find it difficult to use Audeze headphones as a reference because I've read so much varying impressions within each model, and the FR graphs vary quite a bit from each headphone within a model group (all FR graphs from Audeze). Still, I have to give the XC a fair shot so those impressions will be coming, but I don't expect my XC to sound like your LCD-X @UELong .

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 4:25 AM Post #4,778 of 22,475
I asked uptone this a while back

me:
the new iso regen...will it be included in the upcoming ultrarendu? i have the mr and a recently purchased lps1 ...
I"m considering adding the isoregen to my laptop to dac chain....but will the ultrarendu include this....trying to future proof my purchases a bit.

uptone:
Thanks for your interest in our ISO REGEN. Your question would be more appropriately directed at Sonore since the ultraRendu is their product.
I will tell you two things which I don’t think will violate my confidence with Sonore.
1) The ultraRendu will not be using the Silanna high-speed USB isolator chip that we use in the ISO REGEN, since:
a) The microRendu/ultraRendu, being Ethernet attached, are already galvanicly isolated from the rest of your system;
b) Use of the Silanna at the output of the Rendus does not make sense, and a separate power supply (meaning 2 for the box) would be required.
2) Like the IOS REGEN, the ultraRendu will have an upgraded, ultra-low-phase-noise clock.
Hope that helps.

Of course whatever you do, and regardless of which Sonore Rendu (or even SOtM streamer, or REGEN) you get,
our UltraCap LPS-1 power supply will quite significantly elevate them all—while helping those devices to fulfill their promise as an isolated source.

me:
so do you suggest 2 x lps power supplies if you have both an microrendu and isoregen?

uptone:
It is certainly nice. :)
That very topic is being discussed on the forum:

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/31877-iso-regen-listening-impressions-kicked-off-with-some-measurements/?page=11

Thanks for that, so the answer is? Mostly?

Interestingly, the upgraded clock seems to be included in a board update to existing microrendu owners (that is assuming that the ultra-low-phase-noise clock referenced above is the same as the oscillator referenced below, from the microrendu thread on CA'

"I'm happy to announce that we are making available a hardware update for the microRendu series. This update is a revision to the original microRendu's main board updating it from from version 1.3 to version 1.4. The new version 1.4 main board shares among other thing one of the key components in the upcoming ultraRendu. The update changes the oscillator utilized for the CPU and the USB regenerative circuit while the remaining circuit design remains unchanged. .......... The update will be $235 USD for Sonicorbiter 2.5 owners and $245 USD for Sonicorbiter 2.3 owners."

https://www.computeraudiophile.com/forums/topic/26730-sonore-microrendu/?page=166

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 5:29 AM Post #4,779 of 22,475
Any Mojo to Hugo 2 upgraders? Curious to your thoughts?

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #4,780 of 22,475
Jun 23, 2017 at 9:22 AM Post #4,781 of 22,475
Hi Y'all. Is there any point of taps and stuff where we can't tell the difference with the more taps? To use an analogous example, I can notice the difference between 320 and uncompressed PCM only when flicking between the two and focusing on one part that shows a difference, yet 320 is a damn lesser amount of kbps than PCM. If I am not flicking between the two, I can't discern. So is 49,000 taps reaching that point or have we still far to go?

Hi No Disc, I used to own a Mojo and still the Hugo1 was superior. There's a slight but noticeable loss in the fullness in SQ in the smaller form factor of the Mojo, nonetheless the Mojo was so vastly better than what my phone spits out to my IEMs so I bought the Mojo and after owning for a while then listening to the Hugo1 I was immediately impressed with it. Then the Hugo2 came out :). The Hugo2 is already being touted as better than the Hugo, it is super promising for any Mojo listener. Can't wait to hear the 2.

By the way it is super cool to see and read the camaraderie that is here, and the funny comments, the smarty pants comments and the people who get irritated more easily than necessary. It's like a secret friendship with y'all!

Jun 23, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #4,782 of 22,475
A dac sound output should not be based on taps alone, but robb watts says its one million taps.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:11 AM Post #4,783 of 22,475
I had a relatively short audition (~15-20 minutes) between the Hugo 2 and the SP1000 today. Listened to them with an HD800 and a Kaiser Encore.

In short, I think the Hugo 2 presents vocals in a more natural way. The SP1000, while clear, detailed and oh-so-awesome, somehow recreated vocals with an odd, overly expansive vocal presentation. The Hugo 2 sounded a lot more natural to my ears (on the white filter). A friend agreed with me on my assessment - he too, felt that the Hugo 2 was a small notch above the SP1000. Of course, we'd need a more thorough audition to better separate the 2 in terms of technicalities, but as it stands, I'm glad that I bought the Hugo 2.
Yeah, and as I'm not striving for ultimate portability, the $1,400 price difference really sways me to the Hugo! Once it's in full production, I see my Hugo 1 being sold at a fire sale price, though it has been my favorite piece of equipment for a good while.

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2017 at 10:19 AM Post #4,784 of 22,475
By the way it is super cool to see and read the camaraderie that is here, and the funny comments, the smarty pants comments and the people who get irritated more easily than necessary. It's like a secret friendship with y'all!

Yes, some people seem to get a little irritated when others don't bite quite like as anticipated! :ksc75smile:

giphy.gif

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:06 PM Post #4,785 of 22,475
Hugo 2 with microrendu/Lps 1 or iso regen (or something similar) will be interesting combo to review.

I got a very nice improvement from placing the ISO REGEN in front of my Hugo TT. What surprised me was that some magic was lost when defeating the galvanic isolation provided by the ISO REGEN (there's a switch in back). As the TT is already galvanically isolated, I was not expecting this. I suspect there's a good chance the ISO REGEN will provide a benefit with the Hugo 2 as well. I've been delighted with improvements brought by the ISO REGEN.

I power the ISO REGEN with an LPS-1. It's fed by a microRendu powered by the JS-2 that also powers my Mac Mini running Roon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back