Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 22, 2017 at 7:26 AM Post #4,756 of 22,467
Hope to learn if Hugo2 is a good match to HD800S. or has it already been answered visually in this thread..
My (modified) HD 800 sounds phenomenal with it. I'm sure the same applies to the «S».

Jun 22, 2017 at 8:29 AM Post #4,757 of 22,467
will my cinnamon cable improve overall experince...

Wouldn't expect too much improvement.

I tried Hugo's USB in. with QED Reference and AQ Carbon cable and there was some increase in weight over stock USB cable (that sounded brighter but slightly more dynamic in comparison). Then, I added to the USB chain iFi iDefender 3.0 with its dedicated power supply and there was NO further change in sound quality whatsoever (or maybe I didn't have enough patience).

What finally put me off from using USB connection was the Optical (Toslink) input performance with the cheap stock cable (supplied by Chord), practically identical (if not tiny bit more fluid, musical) to the USB one with all the sound quality enhancers used (QED/AQ USB cables + iFi iDefender 3.0).

I have sold/returned all my USB accessories and run my Hugo via its Optical input since (with smile on my face).

Jun 22, 2017 at 9:19 AM Post #4,758 of 22,467
Good times! The first of the Canadian/U.S.A. tour units have arrived!

Looking forward to seeing how it sounds.

One thing is for sure... the Hugo2 is a lot smaller than I thought it would be and the box it came in is a lot larger than I thought it would be, lol.

Can't wait for more detailed impressions of Hugo2 with Nighthawks :D

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #4,760 of 22,467
Don't want to be a wise ass, but the Microrendu already has an amber Regen implemented :)

Nevertheless this setup is my 'somewhat affordable reference'... maybe with the soon to be released ultrarendu taking the place of the micro...

Cheers

Jun 22, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #4,761 of 22,467
Don't want to be a wise ass, but the Microrendu already has an amber Regen implemented :)

Nevertheless this setup is my 'somewhat affordable reference'... maybe with the soon to be released ultrarendu taking the place of the micro...

Cheers
Oh yes I understand...but it's not the newer and supposedly superior iso regen, however... psa audio Landrover pairing would be interesting too....you know signal conditioners in general and their effects for sq enhancement in general....will be interesting to read more on this growing field...iFi coming out with something this year too supposedly.

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #4,762 of 22,467
Hugo 2 with microrendu/Lps 1 or iso regen (or something similar) will be interesting combo to review.

I shall be comparing the microrendu / LPS-1 / Hugo 2 combo with Hugo 2 direct connection when I receive my H2 (no date / update from my dealer except that my order is in his 2nd batch)

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:15 AM Post #4,763 of 22,467
Oh yes I understand...but it's not the newer and supposedly superior iso regen, however... psa audio Landrover pairing would be interesting too....you know signal conditioners in general and their effects for sq enhancement in general....will be interesting to read more on this growing field...iFi coming out with something this year too supposedly.

AFAIK the Amber Regen is an improved version of the original Regen... Don't know if another revision is in the making... But let's not split hairs :wink:

Also I read in several article/forum post that the Microrendu has a great synergy with galvanic isolation... Will be interesting to find out if this will bring worthy improvements with Hugo2 or if it will really be a complete 'source agnostic' .

Will stay on the lookout for news from Ifi.

A cost effective alternative (for Roon users) might be a NUC being endpoint and Roon server at the same time... Like John Darko covered in one of his recent articles on DAR... Or leave Roon out of the picture and do it the Jplay way...

Exiting times for the average income audiophiles :)

Cheers to that
:beerchug:

Jun 22, 2017 at 11:24 AM Post #4,764 of 22,467
AFAIK the Amber Regen is an improved version of the original Regen... Don't know if another revision is in the making... But let's not split hairs :wink:

Also I read in several article/forum post that the Microrendu has a great synergy with galvanic isolation... Will be interesting to find out if this will bring worthy improvements with Hugo2 or if it will really be a complete 'source agnostic' .

A cost effective alternative (for Roon users) might be a NUC being endpoint and Roon server at the same time... Like John Darko covered in one of his recent articles on DAR... Or leave Roon out of the picture and do it the Jplay way...

Cheers to that
yes that roon nuc is interesting...buy a turnkey or use the OS to build your own

Jun 22, 2017 at 12:02 PM Post #4,765 of 22,467
yes that roon nuc is interesting...buy a turnkey or use the OS to build your own

I am most interested in the possibility to use jplay and minimserver as endpoint and server both running on the NUC. No Roon needed and it is said to sound better, too!

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2017/06/were-gonna-jplay-in-the-sunshine/

But this involves some work by the user... Doesn't look that easy to me... Especially when I think back of the first steps with my Odroid running Volumio :ksc75smile:

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:00 PM Post #4,767 of 22,467
Heard nothing on the UK tour unit yet :triportsad:

Have been trying my hardest but without being an a*rsho*e.

They have orders to supply.

We may get one next week -:)

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:02 PM Post #4,768 of 22,467
Heard nothing on the UK tour unit yet :triportsad:

Have been trying my hardest but without being an a*rsho*e.

They have orders to supply.

We may get one next week -:)

Jun 22, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #4,769 of 22,467
I had a relatively short audition (~15-20 minutes) between the Hugo 2 and the SP1000 today. Listened to them with an HD800 and a Kaiser Encore.

In short, I think the Hugo 2 presents vocals in a more natural way. The SP1000, while clear, detailed and oh-so-awesome, somehow recreated vocals with an odd, overly expansive vocal presentation. The Hugo 2 sounded a lot more natural to my ears (on the white filter). A friend agreed with me on my assessment - he too, felt that the Hugo 2 was a small notch above the SP1000. Of course, we'd need a more thorough audition to better separate the 2 in terms of technicalities, but as it stands, I'm glad that I bought the Hugo 2.

Jun 22, 2017 at 5:14 PM Post #4,770 of 22,467

Cheers to that

iso regen came out about 1 mo ago..supposed to be significantly better than the amber or original regen
all at computeraudiophile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back