Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 23, 2017 at 3:09 PM Post #4,786 of 22,475
I got a very nice improvement from placing the ISO REGEN in front of my Hugo TT. What surprised me was that some magic was lost when defeating the galvanic isolation provided by the ISO REGEN (there's a switch in back). As the TT is already galvanically isolated, I was not expecting this. I suspect there's a good chance the ISO REGEN will provide a benefit with the Hugo 2 as well. I've been delighted with improvements brought by the ISO REGEN.

I power the ISO REGEN with an LPS-1. It's fed by a microRendu powered by the JS-2 that also powers my Mac Mini running Roon.

Good to know. I have the ISO-Regen and LPS 1 on order, and will be using with my Mojo unless I decide to pull the trigger on a H2, which may happen.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:20 PM Post #4,787 of 22,475
I got a very nice improvement from placing the ISO REGEN in front of my Hugo TT. What surprised me was that some magic was lost when defeating the galvanic isolation provided by the ISO REGEN (there's a switch in back). As the TT is already galvanically isolated, I was not expecting this. I suspect there's a good chance the ISO REGEN will provide a benefit with the Hugo 2 as well. I've been delighted with improvements brought by the ISO REGEN.

I power the ISO REGEN with an LPS-1. It's fed by a microRendu powered by the JS-2 that also powers my Mac Mini running Roon.

Excellent, thanks for sharing this information. I look forward to experiments with Hugo2.

Jun 23, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #4,789 of 22,475
Hooster have you got the Hugo 2 on order?

No. I am not interested in being an early adopter/tester. I am sceptical about non user replaceable batteries and I don't like the way inputs outputs are placed around the box.

I am interested in the Hugo2 because of the electronics and software inside it. I am hoping that Chord will produce a desktop dac that includes these things but excludes batteries. It would also be nice if the box made with desktop use in mind and does not have a quirky styling/configuration.

Jun 23, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #4,790 of 22,475
Early adopter has not heard music reproduced this way. Ever. I can go from loud music to total silence with absolutely no fatigue.. there is a price to pay. However it must say I don't think it is overpriced. Mine is black. Very flashy. Never fails. It does reveal bad recordings. In short, in suddenly listen to music in a new way. Hey, it is the Hugo 2 with tidal and K10. Not fancy. But it does the trick for me.

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #4,793 of 22,475
I had a relatively short audition (~15-20 minutes) between the Hugo 2 and the SP1000 today. Listened to them with an HD800 and a Kaiser Encore.

In short, I think the Hugo 2 presents vocals in a more natural way. The SP1000, while clear, detailed and oh-so-awesome, somehow recreated vocals with an odd, overly expansive vocal presentation. The Hugo 2 sounded a lot more natural to my ears (on the white filter). A friend agreed with me on my assessment - he too, felt that the Hugo 2 was a small notch above the SP1000. Of course, we'd need a more thorough audition to better separate the 2 in terms of technicalities, but as it stands, I'm glad that I bought the Hugo 2.

But isn't the HUGO2 more powerful in terms of driving planar dynamic headphones like the HEK V2?

Jun 23, 2017 at 7:28 PM Post #4,794 of 22,475
More powerful than what?

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:37 AM Post #4,798 of 22,475
Is june 30th a definite date for the second batch of hugo 2's to go out in the uk? or more hearsay?

Jun 24, 2017 at 2:50 AM Post #4,799 of 22,475
Don't know about the HEK2, but the original does a great job with my LCD-X. I expec (or hope) the H2 will continue to do so, especially since it has a bit more power. Not much, but a bit.
I was always a little frustrated with my LCDX out of Hugo1, always had to EQ certain songs to tame things so much so I advertised my LCDX to sell. In the end I couldn't part with them and I'm so glad I didn't as Hugo2 has made them sound incredible. No more EQ and now I use the LCDX all the time instead of my Layla's (which also sound fantastic with it). If you have headphones that scale up well then hugo2 will release the potential.

Jun 24, 2017 at 4:24 AM Post #4,800 of 22,475
I was always a little frustrated with my LCDX out of Hugo1, always had to EQ certain songs to tame things so much so I advertised my LCDX to sell. In the end I couldn't part with them and I'm so glad I didn't as Hugo2 has made them sound incredible. No more EQ and now I use the LCDX all the time instead of my Layla's (which also sound fantastic with it). If you have headphones that scale up well then hugo2 will release the potential.

May I ask what were the problem frequencies?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back