Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 27, 2017 at 4:11 PM Post #2,311 of 22,515
About the battery life on the hugo 2 I first heard reports of 16 hours and since then I think it's 9 hours but were looking to improve on this before they went into production, has any improvement been made as launch is soon

I think that JF posted a few weeks ago that the battery suppliers had managed to provide a design with 20% more battery life.
Even so I don't think that will achieve 16 hours.

I wish that I could find the post, but it could be anywhere on the Hugo, Hugo 2, Poly or maybe DAVE threads.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:23 PM Post #2,312 of 22,515
I think that JF posted a few weeks ago that the battery suppliers had managed to provide a design with 20% more battery life.

I wish that I could find the post, but it could be anywhere on the Hugo, Hugo 2, Poly or maybe DAVE threads.
Even with the additional capacity in the batteries we are no where near sixteen hours Hugo 2 is fully using all the Xilinx FPGAs capacity which means that Hugo 2 has about four times the electronics that the original Hugo which means the chips are demanding far more from the batteries. Therefore we are expecting 9 to 10 hours playing time.

Mar 27, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #2,313 of 22,515
Even with the additional capacity in the batteries we are no where near sixteen hours Hugo 2 is fully using all the Xilinx FPGAs capacity which means that Hugo 2 has about four times the electronics that the original Hugo which means the chips are demanding far more from the batteries. Therefore we are expecting 9 to 10 hours playing time.

Thanks John, that clarifies things for everyone.

Mar 27, 2017 at 5:47 PM Post #2,314 of 22,515

I'm still back on your "duck and roast potatoes" post wanting to hear more about the recipe involved.  Your posts, like your taste in music (and now food) are always interesting, reminiscent of Mython's input.  I like wine but love a fresh pint of Guinness or an India Pale Ale micro with heavy hop aroma with rare steak and potato.  

I am hoping to hear an estimate  arrival date for Hugo 2 sales in the U.S.    

We are in Switzerland April 3 through April 7.  Methinks it won't arrive here in New England prior to flight take off, but it would be fun to return home to it!   (Imagine having a 13 hour flight to test a new Hugo 2 out!?!)

After a New Year's Eve resolution, I have not had cake, ice cream, cookies, etc and now my wife is talking about Swiss chocolate, Swiss ice cream...

I best steer the conversation back to musical testing of Hugo 2 away from 'duck a la orange'?  (yes, I want to know how you cooked the duck breast and potatoes) .  

I have added Carmina Burana to the list of first hours with Hugo 2.  
Fleetwood Mac's "Sara" for soundstage. 
Stevie Wonder's bass lines
Sgt. Pepper's ---just because I must.  
Swan Lake--we are attending the ballet this weekend, so this will be fun on the demo, too.  
Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes for horn section.  
Dylan for raspy indiscernible vocal.  

Thanks Peter, you do flatter me. 
wink.gif

There are a few topics that I shall reply to tomorrow, but in the meantime to take your mind off all that Swiss chocolate, I have created a thread for those of us anxiously waiting for our Hugo 2s to arrive, to post our lists of test tracks. http://www.head-fi.org/t/842494/the-music-that-i-shall-use-to-test-my-hugo-2#post_13377732

I am sure that you and your wife will have discovered plenty of tracks using the Mojo, to add your own list as well. 
normal_smile .gif

Mar 27, 2017 at 9:01 PM Post #2,315 of 22,515

That's great John.  An improvement over the 7-hour original estimate.  Congrats.

Mar 28, 2017 at 1:18 AM Post #2,316 of 22,515
it's also difficult for me to choose between finishes based on web impressions. to add to this i've never owned a chord product before. however i'm convinced that any aesthetics that appear initially superior in the silver model may be put easily put to rest when the marble coloured buttons come to life and contrast with the black background. a kind of supercharged mojo? different strokes for different folks. black intona industrial black hugo 2 now that's a thought.

on an unrelated note when considering the analogue waveform is that a direct reproduction of the artists studio recording or are there further layers underlying this this? learning and happy to announce it 
confused_face_2.gif
 thanks MK.

NB: my dealer here in the UK has told me silver models will arrive first in single units one by one at first. whether this can be projected to all dealers i have no idea. just trying to help.

Mar 28, 2017 at 2:47 AM Post #2,318 of 22,515
so putting noise and distortion and other simlar nasties to one side is the analogue waveform immediately prior to digital conversion always a recording of the artist in a studio unless the recording is designated live? are there any other underlying layers at play?

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:02 AM Post #2,319 of 22,515
  so putting noise and distortion and other simlar nasties to one side is the analogue waveform immediately prior to digital conversion always a recording of the artist in a studio unless the recording is designated live? are there any other underlying layers at play?

The recording of whatever is being recorded is an analogue waveform. A microphone converts sound into electricity. You can also create wave forms synthetically with a synthesizer for example. Things like applying compression can be added. The recording can be messed with in various ways, both in the analogue and the digital domain, so in that sense there are underlying layers.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:13 AM Post #2,320 of 22,515
thanks. i just wanted to know if there was another layer in between the performance and the recording and between the recording and the digital conversion. good to know it's more straightforward. of course the recording can be 'messed with' in many ways as you state but there is no major or mandatory stage that i've missed here, which was what i was getting at.

Mar 28, 2017 at 3:21 AM Post #2,321 of 22,515
20 questions running in a loop. Come on, use PM.

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:10 AM Post #2,322 of 22,515
Hi,
Waiting for the first review of the H2, but I have 2 questions regarding of my usage of it (connected in my main system as well as in portable use connected to a laptop):

-Is the coaxial input of the Hugo2 able to receive DSF files (as DSD64 over PCM) from my actual streamer (cambridge 851n)?. The coaxial output of Cambridge 851n is able to send a maximum of 24b/192k.

-Is there any preliminary specification or info of the "Poly" for the Hugo 2? I would have gigalan ethernet input / Wifi / DLNA / AirPlay / Spotify-Tidal / HDD USB input / Galvanic isolation USB input / MQA .... It would be basicaly an streamer? More oriented as an stationary accesory than a portable or both? When it is expected to be in the shops?

Regards,

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:33 AM Post #2,323 of 22,515
Can Rob or anyone else with experience tell me if there is an audible difference between a high quality plastic versus glass TOSLINK to mini cable. Seems there are many different opinions with some saying it is not possible to get differences since any signal degradation would just prevent any modulation to get accurate sound. I don't want to waste money on glass if they are more fragile and offer no sound quality enhancement over plastic for a short cable run.

So Lifatec Glass Toslink Cable versus Sys Concept
SEE the explanation below as to why plastic may be better.

Concerpthttp://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=364&osCsid=2h2pduirapjbckjecublgmo250

Mar 28, 2017 at 5:55 AM Post #2,324 of 22,515
Can Rob or anyone else with experience tell me if there is an audible difference between a high quality plastic versus glass TOSLINK to mini cable. Seems there are many different opinions with some saying it is not possible to get differences since any signal degradation would just prevent any modulation to get accurate sound. I don't want to waste money on glass if they are more fragile and offer no sound quality enhancement over plastic for a short cable run.

So Lifatec Glass Toslink Cable versus Sys Concept
SEE the explanation below as to why plastic may be better.

Concerpthttp://www.sysconcept.ca/product_info.php?products_id=364&osCsid=2h2pduirapjbckjecublgmo250

Users who are viewing this thread

Back