Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:07 AM Post #18,721 of 22,467
Jul 11, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #18,722 of 22,467
At the moment I have cascades, hd650, Sony mdr z7r, ultrasone studio pro, oppo pm3, he400, Sony ma900
I was considering lcd 2, x, focal clear, Arya, zmf?or Dan Clark aeon flow 2 but am open to suggestions.

Last edited:
Jul 11, 2020 at 5:23 AM Post #18,723 of 22,467
I’ve just bought a hugo2 and 2go and love how it sounds. I’m now after some open back headphones for home working. I love metal, rock, indie, hip hop, electronic, jazz and classical. Yeah I love music! What headphones have good synergy with the hugo2?
My review above... lcd4z have a magic synergy as audeze tuned this HP with the h2

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:02 AM Post #18,724 of 22,467
My review above... lcd4z have a magic synergy as audeze tuned this HP with the h2
Thanks I’ll see if I can get a good deal on one.
Other note, I can’t find a case for hugo2 with 2go at the same time. Anybody found a good carry bag/case so I can transport it?

Jul 11, 2020 at 6:10 AM Post #18,725 of 22,467
Other note, I can’t find a case for hugo2 with 2go at the same time. Anybody found a good carry bag/case so I can transport it?
There have been two or three posted on the 2Go thread. For example:
Valentinum
VanNuys The website is in Japanese and they only ship domestically. You need a 3rd party service to export.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #18,726 of 22,467
Thoughts on HUGO 3 & 3GO.

Integrated - Next gen product needs to be fully integrated headless streamer/dac/scaler/amp
Industrial design - Integrated device can be smaller... make this sleek as F.
Tech - more taps and more powerful amp and integrated HW scaler
App - work with a partner that can nail the SW interface.... native tidal, qobuz interface.

Nuff said... the above would simply be a home run.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2020 at 6:53 PM Post #18,727 of 22,467
Thoughts on HUGO 3 & 3GO.

Integrated - Next gen product needs to be fully integrated headless streamer/dac/amp
Industrial design - Integrated device can be smaller... make this sleek as F.
Tech - more taps and more powerful amp
App - work with a partner that can nail the SW interface... ideally having some kind of HQ player IOS/Android integratio onboard would take this to nxt level. Get a JV going here.

Nuff said... the above would simply be a home run.

If they are going to integrate anything I think they should be integrating an Mscaler or something that is a step towards it. Integrating a streaming device which is something most people already have is just going to increase the price and detract from the appeal. I am not interested in that kind of product.

Jul 12, 2020 at 8:33 PM Post #18,728 of 22,467
I just got a great deal on an almost new one... 2100$ with the $400 moon 10ft cable.
If they are going to integrate anything I think they should be integrating an Mscaler or something that is a step towards it. Integrating a streaming device which is something most people already have is just going to increase the price and detract from the appeal. I am not interested in that kind of product.
yes some HW scaler integrated would make sense... along with the rest.

Jul 13, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #18,729 of 22,467
Hello, new Hugo 2 owner here. Couple of questions if I may:

1. Does the RCA line out bypass the Hugo's amp?
2. Has anyone used the Hugo with a tube/hybrid amp? If so, what are the results?

Many thanks.

Jul 13, 2020 at 1:37 PM Post #18,730 of 22,467
Hello, new Hugo 2 owner here. Couple of questions if I may:

1. Does the RCA line out bypass the Hugo's amp?
2. Has anyone used the Hugo with a tube/hybrid amp? If so, what are the results?

Many thanks.

1. There is no "amp". The Hugo2 has an output that is used to drive headphones, etc. but it is the chip output, no a separate amp. Call it what you like but there is no amp to bypass.

2. Yes. The results depend on the amp being used and the tastes of the person listening.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 1:44 PM Post #18,731 of 22,467
1. There is no "amp". The Hugo2 has an output that is used to drive headphones, etc. but it it the chip output, no a separate amp. Call it what you like but there is no amp to bypass.

2. Yes. The results depend on the amp being used and the tastes of the person listening.
Thanks, yes I sensed I would have to add something in parenthesis about there being no "amp." I guess my question is: what would be the difference between connecting an external amp via the RCA vs using the 3.5mm output given there's no bypass function? Does RCA automatically default to line level output?

On the second point, I'm looking to connect to a Pathos Aurium. I have connected my Mojo to the Aurium through via an RCA to 3.5mm cable just out of curiosity and the results are mixed, but I can't tell if that's because of the Mojo or some other factor.

Thanks.

Jul 13, 2020 at 2:11 PM Post #18,732 of 22,467
Thanks, yes I sensed I would have to add something in parenthesis about there being no "amp." I guess my question is: what would be the difference between connecting an external amp via the RCA vs using the 3.5mm output given there's no bypass function? Does RCA automatically default to line level output?

On the second point, I'm looking to connect to a Pathos Aurium. I have connected my Mojo to the Aurium through via an RCA to 3.5mm cable just out of curiosity and the results are mixed, but I can't tell if that's because of the Mojo or some other factor.

Thanks.
All the Hugo2's outputs are connected internally, so are one and the same. It will remember the last volume level, so if you have set that at your input requirement for your external amp, it will effectively be the default.
If you are lokking for a pure DAC, why not check out the Qutest?

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #18,733 of 22,467

Thanks.
As Hooster and Uzi2 have said.

If I were you I would simply forget the external amp (and welcome Rob's free wire-without-gain amplifier instead), as it will inevitably degrade the signal from the Hugo₂'s combined line/headphone output. Reamplifying the signal would border on double amping: one needless amplification stage in the signal path. The more so as I don't see a headphone in your signature that the Hugo₂ couldn't drive with ease.

A warning: The external amp will try to fool you into thinking that it drives the headphone better, but the added fullness (phatness), warmth, richness and roundness just consists of euphonic harmonic distortions.

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2020 at 5:17 PM Post #18,734 of 22,467

If I were you I would simply forget the external amp (and welcome Rob's free wire-without-gain amplifier instead), as it will inevitably degrade the signal from the Hugo₂'s combined line/headphone output. Reamplifying the signal would border on double amping: one needless amplification stage in the signal path. The more so as I don't see a headphone in your signature that the Hugo₂ couldn't drive with ease.

A warning: The external amp will try to fool you into thinking that it drives the headphone better, but the added fullness (phatness), warmth, richness and roundness just consists of euphonic harmonic distortions.
That's what people like about tube amps. I think the Hugo 2 is the best DAC of the ones I have to feed my tube amps, including the Pro iCAN in the 2 tube modes or my Valhalla 2. Even if one uses it only as an DAC it has the advantage over the Qutest of the crossfeed options, and of course the portability. Using the Hugo solely is certainly the cleanest sounding way to go.

Jul 13, 2020 at 5:35 PM Post #18,735 of 22,467

Thanks, though I'd rather avoid the whole double amplification debate. The RME thread already has that contentious topic lit up.

I'm not looking for more power, but instead to shape the timbre especially for the ZMF. Otherwise, yes, I prefer to keep it simple.

In any case, my question was whether the RCA input introduces any noise with a tube amp but I will experiment when I receive the unit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back