Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 8, 2020 at 2:44 AM Post #18,708 of 22,463
quick question, why do people use expensive Astell Kern DAP's as transports with chord DAC's?.....I use old AK100's and 120's which not only work perfectly well but also cost a fraction of what the newer expensive units cost and as a big plus they have 2 micro sd cards which none of the new players do?....I connect my 100 or 120 to my chord hugo2 with an optical cord and I am good to go
Because they sound different...? What does the fact that you use 100 and 120 adds to your argument?

Jul 8, 2020 at 3:39 AM Post #18,710 of 22,463
I had the Hugo 2 before the iFi micro black, which I've since sold. The micro is amazing for the price, especially used. Nowhere near as detailed as the Hugo and the connectors for USB are annoying. The Hugo is a lot easier to use with an iPhone. But just for traveling, If I had get sell off my Hugo I'd probably re-buy the iFi.

Thanks. I’m going to see if I can get a home demo, as I think hearing is probably the safest way to evaluate.

Jul 8, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #18,711 of 22,463
Annual update (sharing) from a happy Hugo 2 / mscaler owner.

I'm running my Hugo 2 in desktop mode and I only use it in this manner. it's powered by an Sbooster linear 5.5v power supply. Some of my headphones benefit more from having a good power supply (HD800) for the Hugo. Some benefit less (Iems) but I can still tell the difference.

My Hugo 2 is connected to my mscaler with Wave Coax digital cables. I can't compare with other high end coax cables but these cables make a substantial improvement to my Hugo 2 / Mscaler combo - anyone could hear the difference between them and a normal (non ferrite equipped) cable.

I use audiophile mains cables and mains filters after auditioning some at home for 2 months. They weren't cheap but I'm at the stage where a small improvement increases my enjoyment exponentially.

My source (Innuos) is connected to the mscaler via optical TOSlink. I tried other connections (USB & Coax) but neither were quite as natural or enjoyable as with TOSlink. I know that Rob also recommends TOSlink.

These are my findings. As usual each to their own (we all hear differently and have our own biases :wink: )

That's the main update. I auditioned LCD 4, Focal Utopia, Hifiman HE1000se and Stax headphones with my system before lockdown. But that's another update.

Ade

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2020 at 1:46 AM Post #18,712 of 22,463
My Chord Hugo TT2 order has been officially updated to a Chord Dave in silver. The Focal Stellia is still on the way. For headphone Nirvana, I might as well start saving up for a Chord M Scaler and a nice powerful headphone amp. Need more power for those Planar Magnetics 🎧.
Because they sound different...? What does the fact that you use 100 and 120 adds to your argument?
actually used as a transport they wouldnt sound different at all....my argument is simply that one can buy a used 100 or 120 for a fraction of the cost of the newer models and use it with an optical connection and for me at least best of all have 2 card slots...

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #18,713 of 22,463
actually used as a transport they wouldnt sound different at all....
I can hear a difference. Many people can, too. I'm surprise that you cannot. I also gave an explanation on why it can happen literally a page ago.
And, before yall ask, yes, theoretically there can be a difference between optical output. Manufacturers can use different models of LED to transform current to light, before the light is being transmitted through the fiber optics.
Not all light bulbs are built the same. What is hard to understand about that?

Jul 9, 2020 at 3:57 AM Post #18,714 of 22,463
My hugo 2 and 2go arrived yesterday. Sounds absolutely fantastic way beyond daps to my ears. So far, Ive been using it with hd650 and they sound lovely

Jul 9, 2020 at 11:42 AM Post #18,715 of 22,463
My hugo 2 and 2go arrived yesterday. Sounds absolutely fantastic way beyond daps to my ears. So far, Ive been using it with hd650 and they sound lovely

Happy to hear that Gazz. Enjoy.

Jul 10, 2020 at 7:01 PM Post #18,716 of 22,463
Cross posting in relevant threads. SO I just got the Hugo 2 and 2GO. This is a brief review of the H2G) and comparison with FIIO M15 and Mojopoly with LCD4Z... this review is about sound quality only... iI am still getting connectivity issues with Roon on the 2GO in different rooms.

OK

I have never heard a hugo2 before so my 1st experience is with the 2go attached.

I have LCD4Z.

I had been using FIIOM15 for last few weeks balanced. My Mojopoly collecting dust. I thought I'd write something immediately based on 1st impression... may make a youtube vid.
1st. My experience has now confirmed that there are MANY on headfi that are entirely full of SH!T... ALSO synergy is important. I know that AUdeze tuned the 4Z with a hugo 2 so maybe this pairing has some magic.

SO

1st... Hugo 2 is smaller than i expected in person... it looks bigger in pictures... while bigger than a typical DAP its size is manageable.

2nd... FIIO M15 is a wonderful step up from Mojopoly balanced... it drives the LCD 4z quite nicely... Id say a 10% bump over poly.. air.. dynamics etc.

I also read some dude saying the Hugo 2go was like a little slice of Dave... and I was thinking "BS!"

well here it is..

The H2GO destroys the FIIO M15 with the LCD 4Z... dynamics... air everything... maybe this pairing is something special and would not work with every HP. But it is shocking how much better... we are talking at least a 40% bump over Mojo Poly and 30% over Fiio M15... not having heard the SP2000 or IBasso DX220 MAX... I really can't see either of these being close.... this thing is a freaking knockout... and i have been a critic of Chord.... now if they get their game together on the connectivity and SW issues they are the kings. YES this is like a slice of TT2/Mscaler (i have one) in your hand.

Attachments

• IMG_3386.jpg
    IMG_3386.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
Jul 10, 2020 at 7:44 PM Post #18,717 of 22,463
I fairness, the M15 isn’t even in the league of Hugo2 and the SP2000 can be an alternative to it, but it’s custom FPGA with custom oversampling filters against the default off-the-shelf filter for SP2000 makes it a handicap for it since the SP2000 tunes its amp performance rather than the digital side of things like Chord does

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:04 AM Post #18,718 of 22,463
I can hear a difference. Many people can, too. I'm surprise that you cannot. I also gave an explanation on why it can happen literally a page ago.

Not all light bulbs are built the same. What is hard to understand about that?
nope i cannot, have tried...IMHO the reason to buy an expensive DAP is because it has a higher quality DAC ..

Jul 11, 2020 at 1:28 AM Post #18,719 of 22,463
I’ve just bought a hugo2 and 2go and love how it sounds. I’m now after some open back headphones for home working. I love metal, rock, indie, hip hop, electronic, jazz and classical. Yeah I love music! What headphones have good synergy with the hugo2?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back