Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 13, 2020 at 4:57 AM Post #18,437 of 22,516
which hugo 2 input yields the best sound quality?
Optical gives the best SQ. People may say USB is equal to Optical in the H2, but I simply refuse. USB fails to give the 3-dimensionality to the sound, and also optical sounds smoother and darker, probably due to lack of RF interference.

May 13, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #18,440 of 22,516
Optical gives the best SQ. People may say USB is equal to Optical in the H2, but I simply refuse. USB fails to give the 3-dimensionality to the sound, and also optical sounds smoother and darker, probably due to lack of RF interference.

I think the real answer is that in certain systems you might be right. Possibly even in most systems. In other systems it is possible that ultimate sound quality might come from a top flight usb sorce such as an Innuos Statement which is completely designed around getting the usb output to be less noisy than optical circuits.

May 13, 2020 at 10:26 AM Post #18,441 of 22,516
I think the real answer is that in certain systems you might be right. Possibly even in most systems. In other systems it is possible that ultimate sound quality might come from a top flight usb sorce such as an Innuos Statement which is completely designed around getting the usb output to be less noisy than optical circuits.

Agreed. USB can absolutely sound great, and as good as optical IMO, I think it just costs a lot more to get there with USB.

May 13, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #18,443 of 22,516
Is it possible to get a USB source to be less noisy than optical?

Optical is just light?

Sure, but the conversion process at the other end involves a convertor and circuit which can create noise. Innuos measured noise in optical and USB circuits and decided that they could make USB circuits with less noise than they were measuring in optical circuits. That is why they decided not to have an optical or indeed any other output on their Statement apart from USB. I guess that generally the noise in the optical conversion circuit can be filtered out and in most systems optical will solve more problems than it causes but if one is talking about ultimate quality then maybe it is better not to have the noise there in part of the DAC circuits in the first place? Please note here that I am merely reporting what I have read so please don't shoot the messenger.

May 13, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #18,444 of 22,516
A few questions about this if you don't mind:

1. With which USB source?

2. Is that with the wall charger connected to Hugo2?

3. And is that with Hugo2 directly driving headphones or with headamp connected or in a speaker setup?
1 - MacBook Pro 2017 using stock cable
2 - Yes, it makes no difference to SQ during charging, since both USB inputs are isolated from each other
3 - Directly from H2. Adding an amp, introduces distortion.

May 13, 2020 at 4:25 PM Post #18,445 of 22,516
I was astounded at the improvement provided by the low noise usb output of the Antipodes EX. No other source has sounded this good on the H2.

May 13, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #18,446 of 22,516
I was astounded at the improvement provided by the low noise usb output of the Antipodes EX. No other source has sounded this good on the H2.

which ones did you try in comparison?

May 13, 2020 at 4:58 PM Post #18,447 of 22,516
I was hoping someone might be able to assist me with an issue with my Chord Hugo 2 / Windows 10. I have recently hooked up my Chord Hugo 2 to my PC with a fresh install of Windows 10 Pro. My issue is when I use ASIO or any other method of bypassing Windows 10 Audio with Foobar, upon finishing my audio playback, Windows 10 audio is corrupted, things like Youtube hangs and refuse to play video, sounds either refuse to play at all, or sound horrible. My only solution is every time I play music via ASIO, is when I am finished I power off and back on the Chord Hugo 2. Its almost as if ASIO/Chord Hugo 2 refuse to relinquish their grip on each other and relent to Windows 10 Audio. Tried other audio programmes like Music Bee, unticking 'Allow Applications to take exclusive control of this device', tried another clean install of Windows 10, and trying Foobar first before installing any other drivers etc that could possibly interfere. All result in the same issue. ASIO playback is perfect, its when I want to finish that session and return to normal Windows 10 Audio the problem occurs. I dont want to have to keep switching off and on my DAC every single time I want to play and finish playing music. Even stranger, before my clean install of Windows 10, I never had this issue, providing I didnt try and play any Windows 10 audio during ASIO play back, things would be fine, I would finish playing music, close Foobar and Windows 10 audio would resume as normal. I cant think why this clean install of Windows 10 is any different to the set up I had before?? Help, its super frustrating!

May 13, 2020 at 5:48 PM Post #18,448 of 22,516
It probably suffices to unplug the USB cable for a second – as an interim solution.

May 13, 2020 at 5:59 PM Post #18,449 of 22,516
which ones did you try in comparison?
I think my statement leads to confusion. By source I should have said input. No other input... optical or coax sounds as good on the H2 as the usb fed by an ultra low noise source which the EX is.

May 13, 2020 at 9:02 PM Post #18,450 of 22,516
i experience excellent results with an ipod touch 7th gen. roon endpoint on battery powered by an energizer power bank into mscaler to tt2. completely off the grid. imac core is quad core i5, 8gb ram, 512gb ssd, screen 2560 by 1440 for roon artwork.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back