Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 9, 2020 at 2:31 AM Post #18,421 of 22,475
I wuold like to ask a "1990s question", please. I need some help regarding the remote IR control of the Hugo 2 and other devices. In particular, I would like to play the "1990s game" of reducing the number of remote controls on the table to one, if possible. So the name of the game is universal programmable remote IR controls.

I have a OneForAll Essence 4 URC-7140 universal programmable remote control, which can unite four devices. It came with my Violectric HPA V281 amp. Its AMP mode is programmed for the V281, using the numerics for an "old" TV code (0037). Its DVD mode is reportedly programmed for the V850 DAC using a proprietary code. That leaves the TV and SAT modes of the URC-7140 as blank modes available for programming; and the DVD mode might be overwritten as I will never have a V850.

First thing I tried was to put just the handful of keys on the H2 remote onto the URC-7140 using the learning mode, strictly following the URC-7140 manual. The result was very strange - some URC-7140 keys picked up the proper IR sequence to operate the Hugo 2, others didn't do anything, others most annoyingly acted on the V281 then. I tried the learning steps with both the TV and the SAT modes of the URC-7140, but to no avail. I asked the OneForAll online customer service (quick response!), and their reply was that the learning mode should pick up the full IR code as emitted by the source remote, independent of the mode (TV or SAT) chosen as the target on the URC-7140.

Anybody out there who would understand that and be able to help?

Actually, my ultimate desire is even more complicated. As I have the Hugo 2, an old CD transport by AVM, an optical input selector by Marmitek, and a preamplifier by AVM, I would like to put these four remote controls into the three TV, SAT and DVD modes of the URC-7140. The OneForAll customer service commented that in learning mode you can put several source remote controls onto one target mode of the URC-7140. So I would like to put the Hugo 2 and the Marmitek onto one mode (TV), the CD transport onto another one (overwrite the DVD mode at the end of the day), and the preamp onto the SAT mode. Of course, the AMP mode of the URC-7140 shall be left untouched as it acts on the V281 headphone amp.

Of these more complicated steps, I tried the next one after (unsuccessfully) putting the H2 onto the TV mode: I added the Marmitek optical switch to a few keys of the TV mode. I got more failures and mix-ups, as I had been afraid by then. For now, no further steps ... Luckily, I was able to delete all the learned-in keys again, leaving me with a fully functional URC-7140 for the HPA V281 in its (hopefully) fully original state.

So, again, anybody out there who understands programmable remote controls? What would I need to know about the Hugo 2 remote IR control? What about my other devices?

Thanks a lot in advance. Cheers.
No response up to now. My above observations seem to imply that the OneForAll just doesn‘t work as desired.

So how about Logitech Harmony? Should I get one? At least their database says that all my devices including the H2 are covered. Any experience out there with Harmony and our audio stuff? For my devices, cf. the original post.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #18,422 of 22,475
No response up to now. My above observations seem to imply that the OneForAll just doesn‘t work as desired.

So how about Logitech Harmony? Should I get one? At least their database says that all my devices including the H2 are covered. Any experience out there with Harmony and our audio stuff? For my devices, cf. the original post.

I know it’s not exactly what you are asking but have you considered remote apps for IOS or Android?
Unified Remote and maybe Anymote seem to be interesting and flexible options.
You would need a phone with an IR blaster of course.

Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 5:48 AM Post #18,423 of 22,475
I know it’s not exactly what you are asking but have you considered remote apps for IOS or Android?
Unified Remote and maybe Anymote seem to be interesting and flexible options.
You would need a phone with an IR blaster of course.
Yes, thxs, I know such apps/devices exist. But I simply don‘t like my phone to be near when listening to music (peace of mind, RFI). An iPad without phone would be different; I just don‘t have one.

So, please, comments on Logitech Harmony very welcome!

May 9, 2020 at 5:53 AM Post #18,424 of 22,475
Yes, thxs, I know such apps/devices exist. But I simply don‘t like my phone to be near when listening to music (peace of mind, RFI). An iPad without phone would be different; I just don‘t have one.

Yes it’s not optimal if not using a separate phone in flight mode perhaps.
The number of remotes are building up for me too so I might need to dig deeper into finding a nice solution.

May 9, 2020 at 6:54 AM Post #18,425 of 22,475
Can somebody tell me if Hugo2 together with 2go can work with tidal offline somehow?

May 9, 2020 at 9:41 AM Post #18,426 of 22,475

I've been using Harmony remotes for over 8 years now. I feel they are the best on the market. They are extremely flexible and have a very strong IR transmitter.

There are some caveats though. Because they are so flexible, they can be challenging to some to set up. Once set up, they perform like a champ. Some have replaceable batteries, but not all. Make sure you get one with a replaceable. The desktop software for setting them up is not 64-bit, so they won't run on Mac Catalina (10.15). Hope that helps.

May 9, 2020 at 12:12 PM Post #18,427 of 22,475
Can somebody tell me if Hugo2 together with 2go can work with tidal offline somehow?

It probably works if you use an iOS device and stream using airplay from the official tidal app.

May 9, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #18,428 of 22,475
Anyone, would like to know same? Such as if I have Tidal or Qobuz downloaded on my iphone, can I stream this to Hugo2go in Hi rez on the go?

May 9, 2020 at 1:46 PM Post #18,429 of 22,475
Anyone, would like to know same? Such as if I have Tidal or Qobuz downloaded on my iphone, can I stream this to Hugo2go in Hi rez on the go?

With AirPlay on an iOS device, yes. Not with an Android because Chord never followed thru with Google Cast support.

May 9, 2020 at 2:08 PM Post #18,430 of 22,475
Yes it’s not optimal if not using a separate phone in flight mode perhaps.
The number of remotes are building up for me too so I might need to dig deeper into finding a nice solution.
Dear all, just for the fun tried to connect and program my harmony remote, unfortunately without success, have the latest version with the wand, hub an iphone remote support and could mot immediately make it work, will have to try later and more extensively, though my understanding if set as fixed line out in a system on desktop mode no remite is needed unless you take it off and use for headphones etc so should nit be critical, not tested harmony remote that extensive but sure you can program each key as per the CH2 remote as it is nit that complex, maybe I am missing something...?

May 9, 2020 at 4:26 PM Post #18,431 of 22,475
With AirPlay on an iOS device, yes. Not with an Android because Chord never followed thru with Google Cast support.
Understand that, but airplay is restrictive to 16/44.1 so not hi rez...anyone else that can elaborate?

May 9, 2020 at 5:37 PM Post #18,432 of 22,475
Last edited:
May 9, 2020 at 7:19 PM Post #18,433 of 22,475
Understand that, but airplay is restrictive to 16/44.1 so not hi rez...anyone else that can elaborate?

16/44.1 isn't high res? Guess we can agree to disagree :)

Airplay would not be the solution, check out the 2Go thread as many people on there are using it with tidal. I believe you would log-in via the go figure configuration app then use another app to control tidal.

Here is the sub-forum; https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...er-and-s-pdif-adaptor-official-thread.925464/

Airplay is the solution for downloaded/offline play. I'd like to know if there's another.

May 9, 2020 at 9:25 PM Post #18,434 of 22,475
16/44.1 isn't high res? Guess we can agree to disagree :)

Airplay is the solution for downloaded/offline play. I'd like to know if there's another.

If the tracks are downloaded locally then yes, you still need to log-in to the tidal within the gofigure App. The Poly plays off hotspot mode if necessary, or WiFi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back