Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 8, 2020 at 2:11 AM Post #18,046 of 22,473
I'm considering getting a hugo2 but I'm wondering, if I put it in my backpack while out and about listening to music how easily would the volume wheel turn up and blow my phones?

Better is to use the Poly + Mojo combo. Still fits in a jacket and no wires.

The Hugo 2 is too big to be carrying around when outside.

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:20 AM Post #18,047 of 22,473
I use it on the go and super excited about it. Mojo sounds very bad. I can't talk about Mojo as a H2 replacement in any context.

The Hugo 2 is absolutely no option for me, I cannot fit it in any of my pockets. It is either the Poly + Mojo or wireless headphones. I do not take DAP’s seriously when Sony their $3000 DAP cannot even power their own Sony Z1R headphone properly (the Poly + Mojo does this without any issues at a much lower price).

And carrying an additional Hugo 2 for when I can sit down is asking too much. I rather be free from carrying any bags when I am out.

The Hugo 2 is actually my least used device. Maybe if I did not have a Chord Dave, I would use it more.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2020 at 10:49 PM Post #18,048 of 22,473
I get the purple lossless bit perfect signal on roon. I also get no dropouts or stutters and the green light for 96khz on my mscaler for the first roon unfold for MQA. All this is good but i also tried to download a 64dsd track from the nordic website but realised i couldn't open .dsf files nor could i play dsd natively on my mac only DoP. I couldn't find any DoP test files either. Is there a way to do another bit perfect test for roon with my mscaler/tt2 or just with my hms/tt2 (not roon) to confirm bit perfect delivery? Or are the above mentioned 3 points enough and no further tests needed?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #18,050 of 22,473
well done TK that's a first on headfi. i'm happy the price isn't the same as poly vs mojo. can chord let me know if there is anyway i can use the 2go with my mscaler?

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 6:33 PM Post #18,051 of 22,473
well done TK that's a first on headfi. i'm happy the price isn't the same as poly vs mojo. can chord let me know if there is anyway i can use the 2go with my mscaler?
It will be interesting to see if there is a good price for a Hugo2Go bundle...

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:39 PM Post #18,052 of 22,473
It will be interesting to see if there is a good price for a Hugo2Go bundle...
I wonder what the price in the US will be. Usually, prices in € translate to the same number in US $. But the European price includes vat.

Feb 10, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #18,053 of 22,473
i enjoy my TT2/HMS and can see no real use for H2/2GO as i don't listen on the move or away from my main desk. still interested though.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:39 PM Post #18,054 of 22,473
Playing Roon/HQPlayer to my Hugo2 and sound is sublime. No need for 2Go as my poly/mojo takes care of that.

Feb 10, 2020 at 7:51 PM Post #18,055 of 22,473

1300 Euro. Thanks but no thanks. Haha.

I can see the attraction though. £3K for Hugo 2 and 2Go, versus an A&K at £3K.

I don't know, maybe I missed something. Isn't 2Go, a Poly with an ethernet port added? If it's £1200 though, I guess it must have more or quite a bit more of something.

Maybe since Poly battery outlived the Mojo. Then maybe it has better battery over than Hugo 2, and could maybe provide top-up power to Hugo 2. I need to stop speculating and wait and see; will probably be very tempted someway along the line.

Last edited:
Feb 10, 2020 at 8:08 PM Post #18,056 of 22,473
i think it enables the user to have the highest SQ on the move. delivering SQ never before attained on the go. a first in hifi history then.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:06 AM Post #18,059 of 22,473
i think it enables the user to have the highest SQ on the move. delivering SQ never before attained on the go. a first in hifi history then.

I just don't get it myself. Hugo2 is more of a transportable rather than portable device so making it a bit bigger and heavier can only make it a bit less portable. That means most people are using their Hugo2's like me, at my desk or when sitting on my sofa, where other transports are available.

I also disagree that adding a 2Go will make the best SQ portable solution, adding another directly coupled processor into the system can only add noise, no matter what Chord say about their noise suppression and noise reduction techniques. I already have a Hiby powered device that I can connect to Hugo2 via optical and control via my phone for my best portable sound quality. This solution didn't exist when Chord first announced Poly and 2Go. IMHO the time for Chord's portable streaming devices has passed, they missed the boat by arguably a couple of years.

Add in the cost of 2Go and I just don't understand why anybody would even consider it personally, but heck its your money.

Please convince me otherwise that I need to spend £1300 on a streaming transport. :)

For those that do buy a 2Go I hope you enjoy it and it gives you many years of musical enjoyment.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:14 AM Post #18,060 of 22,473
1300 Euro. Thanks but no thanks. Haha.

I can see the attraction though. £3K for Hugo 2 and 2Go, versus an A&K at £3K.

I don't know, maybe I missed something. Isn't 2Go, a Poly with an ethernet port added? If it's £1200 though, I guess it must have more or quite a bit more of something.

As an owner of both my answer is roon. AK promised roon support a long time ago and is still having trouble implementing the future. They stopped BSing us with deadlines and now they even ignore questions about it on the SP1000 thread. Quite frustrating. Although I was hyped about the 2Go because I wanted a nice wireless roon desktop system and I’d use my AK to enjoy roon while moving around my home.

But yeah, 2Go costing around the same as the qutest... ouch. Expected but not even close to ideal. For that reason I won’t pre-order or buy straight away. I’ll wait to see if it’s worth it, considering my less than ideal poly experience.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back