Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jan 31, 2020 at 3:20 AM Post #18,016 of 22,510
Thanks. There's actually been a lot of discussion in this thread over the past 5-10 pages about RPi based network streamers, so I won't take up to much space. It's been the one of the most significant upgrades I've made in my setup, especially given the relative cost.
Hello!

According to the photo, I correctly understood about your transport, is it a USBridge Sig + DigiOne Signature?
As you can see that H2 is connected in 2 ways.
Can you describe in more detail the comparison of sound via USB and SPDIF?
I listen myself: USBridge (sparky+LPS) Roon + H2 + TH900
When I bought a transort, I compared USBridge + sparky with 502DAC and chose USB. New products from Allo are interesting.

Jan 31, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #18,018 of 22,510
Hello!

According to the photo, I correctly understood about your transport, is it a USBridge Sig + DigiOne Signature?
As you can see that H2 is connected in 2 ways.
Can you describe in more detail the comparison of sound via USB and SPDIF?
I listen myself: USBridge (sparky+LPS) Roon + H2 + TH900
When I bought a transort, I compared USBridge + sparky with 502DAC and chose USB. New products from Allo are interesting.

I started out with the DigiOne Signature Player from Allo which is the DIgiOne Signature hosted on a RPi. I powered that with a couple of cheap SMPS at first and quickly upgraded to their LPS, Shanti, which made a very noticeable difference in my setup and to my ears.

I liked everything so much that I started doing some more research and realized that I could upgrade the RPi that was hosting the DigiOne Signature to the USBridge Signature and possibly realize even more advantages. I really like this setup because it allows me to use both USB and coax from a single, very clean and electrically simple source. That being said, in my image I'm only using coax, the USB lead going into the Hugo2 is the charger.

In the simplest terms I've always found USB to have a layer of "digital" harshness or sound to it. Better USB sources seem to help a bit, but I still haven't heard a USB source that I enjoy as much as coax SPDIF out of the USBridge Sig + DigiOne Sig stack.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #18,019 of 22,510
I started out with the DigiOne Signature Player from Allo which is the DIgiOne Signature hosted on a RPi. I powered that with a couple of cheap SMPS at first and quickly upgraded to their LPS, Shanti, which made a very noticeable difference in my setup and to my ears.
In the simplest terms I've always found USB to have a layer of "digital" harshness or sound to it. Better USB sources seem to help a bit, but I still haven't heard a USB source that I enjoy as much as coax SPDIF out of the USBridge Sig + DigiOne Sig stack.

Thanks! Yes, I was wrong. Wire in charge :)
I have another question, does USBridge Sig support Native output? Or only Dop? This can be easily checked in the Roon settings.

Jan 31, 2020 at 8:36 AM Post #18,020 of 22,510
Thanks! Yes, I was wrong. Wire in charge :)
I have another question, does USBridge Sig support Native output? Or only Dop? This can be easily checked in the Roon settings.

Not entirely sure, I'm at work right now so I can't really check. Plus redbook files are fine for me, I don't mess around with super high-res stuff.

This is an excellent forum for getting help with the Allo stuff though. A lot of people that have spent a lot of time and went to great lengths to test out and optimize Allo products in their respective setups.

Jan 31, 2020 at 9:29 AM Post #18,021 of 22,510
Quick question. I looked at the threads here and couldn't find help. My Hugo 2 shuts off power after a while when connected to the supplied AC wall wart. It used to stay on and go into desktop mode but it doesn't do it anymore. Any suggestions?

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:15 PM Post #18,022 of 22,510
Quick question. I looked at the threads here and couldn't find help. My Hugo 2 shuts off power after a while when connected to the supplied AC wall wart. It used to stay on and go into desktop mode but it doesn't do it anymore. Any suggestions?
My first thought is that your hugo 2 has slipped out of desktop mode, and that the battery is now very low, and not getting enough recharge time before you are starting to listen again (and so it switches off).
Anything else is more serious, and I suggest email support@chordelectronics.co.uk

Jan 31, 2020 at 4:31 PM Post #18,023 of 22,510
Just happened to be in London on business for the day and Harrods was nearby. Not my first choice for audio shopping.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 5:07 PM Post #18,024 of 22,510
I have another question, does USBridge Sig support Native output? Or only Dop?

The streamer supports both. It’s more a question of what can the DAC support with Linux based streamer.

USBridge (Linux based) will only work with DoP for all of Rob’s current DACs.

‘Native DSD’ playback is only possible with Windows, for all Rob’s current DACs.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2020 at 6:24 PM Post #18,025 of 22,510
Mine did this off and on for months until it finally stopped working at all. File a claim ASAP if it's still under warranty. Fortunately mine was though I've already had to be a month without it with no idea of when it will be sent back. Most of the wait was the shocking slow USPS Priority shipping.

Feb 3, 2020 at 4:21 AM Post #18,028 of 22,510
Hugo 2 still surprises me every time I use it. (That's coming from a TT2 owner.)

By the way please, I am sure I saw were doing a convention soon, can anyone remember which it was?

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2020 at 5:26 AM Post #18,029 of 22,510
New product (not multiple products) would be 2Go I assume?
I thought it would be Mojo but 2Go is another possibility. The Mojo has been on sale in plenty of places recently and I did see an interview or comment from someone in Chord saying a Mojo update was actively being developed. But then again, so has 2Go supposedly. Who knows, could be something unrelated - keen to find out!

Feb 3, 2020 at 5:43 AM Post #18,030 of 22,510
I thought it would be Mojo but 2Go is another possibility. The Mojo has been on sale in plenty of places recently and I did see an interview or comment from someone in Chord saying a Mojo update was actively being developed. But then again, so has 2Go supposedly. Who knows, could be something unrelated - keen to find out!

2Go is showing in Chord's 2020 product catalogue which dealers have and it's been linked on this thread (can't find it on my phone atm).

So if it's just one new product at CanJam then it's 2Go (highly likely).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back