Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Feb 11, 2020 at 3:59 AM Post #18,062 of 22,516
No, it's function is to add local music playback from the micro SD card and streaming functionality.
I hope they sort out a simple way of playing back from an SD Card. Whilst it works on the Poly (Hotspot plus 3rd party app = Rigelian) it is not plug & play. Plug & play is what I’d like.

For me, Hugo 2 as a desk top fed by an iPhone is night & day better than the Mojopoly combination with an SD card

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #18,063 of 22,516
Price is not cheap Hugo2 is not cheap as well but its within boundaries of what could be expected. My main unknown question is if its only bigger poly for Hugo or „more” mean something and it could be used as seperate source into mscaler. But convinience of use i enjoy with Mojopoly will course i will jump for 2go probably anyway....

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:24 AM Post #18,064 of 22,516
I just don't get it myself. Hugo2 is more of a transportable rather than portable device so making it a bit bigger and heavier can only make it a bit less portable. That means most people are using their Hugo2's like me, at my desk or when sitting on my sofa, where other transports are available.

I also disagree that adding a 2Go will make the best SQ portable solution, adding another directly coupled processor into the system can only add noise, no matter what Chord say about their noise suppression and noise reduction techniques. I already have a Hiby powered device that I can connect to Hugo2 via optical and control via my phone for my best portable sound quality. This solution didn't exist when Chord first announced Poly and 2Go. IMHO the time for Chord's portable streaming devices has passed, they missed the boat by arguably a couple of years.

Add in the cost of 2Go and I just don't understand why anybody would even consider it personally, but heck its your money.

Please convince me otherwise that I need to spend £1300 on a streaming transport. :)

For those that do buy a 2Go I hope you enjoy it and it gives you many years of musical enjoyment.

I can assure you that using Mojo alone or Mojo+Poly from SD card is completely different regarding SQ.
Even using Mojo+Poly with other source rather than SD card is very different.
Mojo+Poly from SD card is a very clean source and, IMHO, easily the best portable solution under 1k.
CH2 alone by itself it's a fantastic device even feed from a laptop or a iPhone (I had one for more than an year).
I can imagine it will be much better regarding SQ with a device like 2GO.
I'm trying to sell my Mojo+Poly to jump to CH2+2GO.

Feb 11, 2020 at 7:29 AM Post #18,065 of 22,516
for a bit more you could have a tt2???

Feb 11, 2020 at 9:06 AM Post #18,067 of 22,516
If you travel then yes that would be an incredible companion.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:41 PM Post #18,068 of 22,516
I can assure you that using Mojo alone or Mojo+Poly from SD card is completely different regarding SQ.
Even using Mojo+Poly with other source rather than SD card is very different.
Mojo+Poly from SD card is a very clean source and, IMHO, easily the best portable solution under 1k.
CH2 alone by itself it's a fantastic device even feed from a laptop or a iPhone (I had one for more than an year).
I can imagine it will be much better regarding SQ with a device like 2GO.
I'm trying to sell my Mojo+Poly to jump to CH2+2GO.

I would counter that argument with have you heard xDuoo X10T II (optical out) -> Mojo. It sounds very good playing off uSD to me.

I suppose I can't really disagree with you though as I haven't heard Poly-Mojo. One day I will have to give it a listen, to prove it one way or the other for me.

It could be listener bias at play though with Poly-Mojo as one good digital source "should" sound the same as another.

Feb 11, 2020 at 2:55 PM Post #18,069 of 22,516
I would counter that argument with have you heard xDuoo X10T II (optical out) -> Mojo. It sounds very good playing off uSD to me.

I suppose I can't really disagree with you though as I haven't heard Poly-Mojo. One day I will have to give it a listen, to prove it one way or the other for me.

It could be listener bias at play though with Poly-Mojo as one good digital source "should" sound the same as another.

Never heard so I can't judge myself.
I understand what you mean but I really think isn't listener bias.
IMHO, having CH2 as reference, Mojo-Poly from SD card is the best option, by far.
Not a CH2 but great results indeed and really portable.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:00 PM Post #18,070 of 22,516
Never heard so I can't judge myself.
I understand what you mean but I really think isn't listener bias.
IMHO, having CH2 as reference, Mojo-Poly from SD card is the best option, by far.
Not a CH2 but great results indeed and really portable.

I do look forward to reading the 2Go reviews at the weekend and over the coming weeks, it should be a very nice combo, its just not for me.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:35 PM Post #18,071 of 22,516
I have a simple question about the 2go. Since the 2go is effectively the "transport" for the H2, does that mean that there will be no degradation in SQ on WiFi? I presume that because the bandwidth with WiFi is much wider compared to Bluetooth, that sq degradation is simply not an issue. Moreover, I presume the clocking happens in the 2gob rather than from the WiFi source. Is that correct?

PS I would rather not go down the rabbit hole where we debate whether the quality of the source - dap, phone or streaming (per se, and not because of any failings in the the streaming service) - is the most important determinant of SQ. Headfiers have strong opinions on this, for one side or the other, which won't be resolved by opening up this can of worms.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:36 PM Post #18,072 of 22,516

I haven't heard the Mojo+Poly combo either, but read even just a few reviews and this is one of the main themes, Poly seems to make a very excellent source.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #18,073 of 22,516
I have a simple question about the 2go. Since the 2go is effectively the "transport" for the H2, does that mean that there will be no degradation in SQ on WiFi? I presume that because the bandwidth with WiFi is much wider compared to Bluetooth, that sq degradation is simply not an issue. Moreover, I presume the clocking happens in the 2gob rather than from the WiFi source. Is that correct?

PS I would rather not go down the rabbit hole where we debate whether the quality of the source - dap, phone or streaming (per se, and not because of any failings in the the streaming service) - is the most important determinant of SQ. Headfiers have strong opinions on this, for one side or the other, which won't be resolved by opening up this can of worms.

Thanks in advance!

2Go would act as the source and there's no quality loss over WiFi. The 2Go would clock the data out to the Hugo2.

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #18,074 of 22,516
2Go would act as the source and there's no quality loss over WiFi. The 2Go would clock the data out to the Hugo2.
Thanks! That's great news. I'm going to order the 2go as soon as it's available!

Feb 11, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #18,075 of 22,516
So what does the 2GO actually do for almost $1500?

Is it just a streamer?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back