Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 30, 2019 at 5:50 AM Post #16,909 of 22,475
Atleast now you know that there is no seperate headphone amplifier stage in Hugo 2.
I know exactly what U mean and you are of course correct. I was just being facetious but I didn’t want to offend, therefore I apologise unreservedly.

What I originally meant was that unlike a straight DAC the hugo2 has variable output and can be used as is without the requirements of a separate box (unlike, say, the qutest).

I fully appreciate what you say about it not having the required gain circuitry etc to be classified as having an additional amp and therefore as my comment without the relative context is actually misleading I will remove it to avoid any further confusion.

Aug 30, 2019 at 6:24 AM Post #16,910 of 22,475
Just to add my two cents: In the true sense of the term the Hugo₂ actually does have an amp – a single class A line output stage with extremely low output impedance and enough power to drive headphones. But it still lacks an additional headphone amplifier, so it's a more direct signal path than with conventional DACs with headphone outputs.

Now there are people who use a «better» amp with the Hugo₂. Ignoring that you can't bypass the «worse» internal amp, just complicate the signal path. Now some people like the added harmonic distortion (© Rob Watts) and mix them up with better dynamics and larger soundstage. Which leads them to the notion that the Hugo₂ be an excellent DAC with a mediocre headphone amp.

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:09 AM Post #16,912 of 22,475
Just to add my two cents: In the true sense of the term the Hugo₂ actually does have an amp – a single class A line output stage with extremely low output impedance and enough power to drive headphones. But it still lacks an additional headphone amplifier, so it's a more direct signal path than with conventional DACs with headphone outputs.

Now there are people who use a «better» amp with the Hugo₂. Ignoring that you can't bypass the «worse» internal amp, just complicate the signal path. Now some people like the added harmonic distortion (© Rob Watts) and mix them up with better dynamics and larger soundstage. Which leads them to the notion that the Hugo₂ be an excellent DAC with a mediocre headphone amp.
Does selecting the 3v line out make any difference?

Aug 31, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #16,913 of 22,475
Aug 31, 2019 at 9:21 AM Post #16,916 of 22,475
That's correct. For some reason Chord Electronics deviate from this quasi-norm. It doesn't hurt as long as the input of the target device can handle the higher currents during signal peaks.

Aug 31, 2019 at 9:24 PM Post #16,919 of 22,475
Chord dacs have much higher output without clipping. It is even more than 3v. 3v or 2v you get after digital attenuation. Higher the output , lower the gain your power amp need. Some power amps allow higher input sensitivity which can use this higher output of chord DACs. That is a win win situation because you don't require much attenuation in dac and also lower gain in power amp if supported by the amp

Sep 1, 2019 at 2:57 AM Post #16,920 of 22,475
Chord dacs have much higher output without clipping. It is even more than 3v. 3v or 2v you get after digital attenuation. Higher the output , lower the gain your power amp need. Some power amps allow higher input sensitivity which can use this higher output of chord DACs. That is a win win situation because you don't require much attenuation in dac and also lower gain in power amp if supported by the amp

Whether this is a win win or not is debatable. You may end up with what is known as gain poisoning and need something like this: http://www.rothwellaudioproducts.co.uk/html/attenuators.html

My system sure needs it, otherwise it is just loud and way too loud with very little usable travel in the volume control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back