Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 10, 2019 at 7:42 AM Post #16,711 of 22,516
Thanks for responding. I’m already using the apple USB camera adapters for the dragonfly DACs so it’s not an extra purchase, but as the Audioquest carbon cable I have (for my HA-2 SE) is already lightning male (with relative chip) to USB-A male wouldn’t the addition of a dragontail (USB-A female to micro-USB male) allow me to connect the iPhone to the hugo2 as follows:

iPhone physically connected to male lightning termination of cable. The other end of the same cable (male USB A termination) physically connected to female USB A termination of dragontail. The other termination of the dragontail (male micro-USB) connected to female micro-USB on the Hugo2. Would this not work for some reason?

A single cable straight from lightning to micro-USB would obviously be the ideal solution but in the meantime would the above actually work?

I’m not familiar with the specifics of those cables but as far as I’m aware the only cable that allows USB devices to be attached to an iPhone is via the camera kit because it has a special chip in it. The other issue is the dragontail is an OTG cable which is supposed to be plugged micro-side into the host device. The Hugo would be the guest in this scenario.

Aug 10, 2019 at 7:57 AM Post #16,712 of 22,516
I’m not familiar with the specifics of those cables but as far as I’m aware the only cable that allows USB devices to be attached to an iPhone is via the camera kit because it has a special chip in it. The other issue is the dragontail is an OTG cable which is supposed to be plugged micro-side into the host device. The Hugo would be the guest in this scenario.
Thanks very much for the reply I think you have clarified. The Audioquest cable already has the required chip so the iPhone side of the problem as host is covered but if the microUSB side needs to be host side and the Hugo is (obviously) guest due to OTG requirements then I will have to find an alternative, possibly a simple USB A male to micro-USB male adapter. Worse case scenario would be to keep my current set-up and hope for future iPhone and Hugo to both go to USB-C.........

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:03 AM Post #16,713 of 22,516
Imac optical was far superior to chromecast audio. With an ipad air 3 on battery with usb to mscaler the sound was virtually identical to the imac optical. So for convenience the imac optical wins. Apple use a cirrus logic chip for headphone amp/dac/spdif out. This accounts for the quality of the signal IMHO. I was very surprised as i thought the chromecast optical audio and ipad would deliver higher SQ than optical out of my imac. I had to listen to initiate a process of elimination and so i'm back where i started and feel fine with that.

images

Why not just use your ipad to msclaer ?

There is nothing wrong with usb in to the mscaler, plus that gives you full upscaling, using an optical solution only gives you a max of 192khz and not upto 768khz.

To be honest, I think the mscaler would be a waste if you are only using it's optical in ports.

USB in to the mscaler is the best way to go in my opinion, as that way you get the full 1 million + taps.

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:14 AM Post #16,714 of 22,516
BNC, optical and usb inputs all give full upscaling to 1M taps and 705/768khz with dual bnc out. It is optical out (for non chord dacs) which is limited to 192khz and also you cannot input more than 192khz with optical.

All three of the digital inputs can be upscaled to 1M taps and 705/768khz.

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2019 at 2:28 PM Post #16,715 of 22,516
BNC, optical and usb inputs all give full upscaling to 1M taps and 705/768khz with dual bnc out. It is optical out (for non chord dacsc) which is limited to 192khz and also you cannot input more than 192khz with optical.

All three of the digital inputs can be upscaled to 1M taps and 705/768khz.

I thought you were being hardcore and using optical all the way into Mscaler, and from there using optical out into Hugo or TT2, which now I can see you aren't.

Why use optical in to the mscaler, and then use regular bnc cables out if your worried about sound quality ?

Thats like defeating the purpose of using optical in the first place, as your stock or cheap bnc cables will be adding all that noise back into your chain before it gets to Hugo 2/TT2.

Each to their own I guess, so long as you are happy with your setup, thats all that matters :wink:

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:05 PM Post #16,716 of 22,516
Why use optical into the mscaler, and then use regular bnc cables out if your worried about sound quality?

That's like defeating the purpose of using optical in the first place, as your stock or cheap bnc cables will be adding all that noise back into your chain before it gets to Hugo 2/TT2.
The optical connection between computer and M Scaler will block all RFI from the computer. It wont magically be recreated by the M Scaler's output. Moreover the M Scaler's output is designed to block a lot of RFI itself, which is necessary due to the high sampling rates it produces internally, part of which will nevertheless be sent to the DAC. That doesn't necessarily mean the first step is useless, although I can't hear a clear difference between USB and Toslink myself.

Aug 10, 2019 at 4:42 PM Post #16,717 of 22,516
The optical connection between computer and M Scaler will block all RFI from the computer. It wont magically be recreated by the M Scaler's output. Moreover the M Scaler's output is designed to block a lot of RFI itself, which is necessary due to the high sampling rates it produces internally, part of which will nevertheless be sent to the DAC. That doesn't necessarily mean the first step is useless, although I can't hear a clear difference between USB and Toslink myself.

Oh yes, I understand the reasoning behind it, I even did the same with my computers sound card, xonar, and chords usb driver. I can't tell the difference between both on TT2, but on Hugo 2, usb sounded beefier compared to opt if I can recall correctly.

My initial post was based on the understanding that MK was using source > toslink> mscaler> toslink> Hugo 2. Which was not the case.

I think Rob has got his designs down so precisely, that there is no single preferred connection method, as they all sound as good as each other with the exception of BT.

As before, aslong as MK is happy using the connection method he prefer's, that's all that matters at the end of the day.

Aug 10, 2019 at 9:16 PM Post #16,718 of 22,516
I also recall that Rob stated he couldn't hear a any worthwhile difference btw tos and USB. So, until someone comes with a new protocol that allows for proper speedy transmition of data-such as actual fiberoptic speeds, I'll just suffer with USB. Since changing up from H to H2, I've noticed more stage depth, and certainly, less harsh brightness.
To each one's own, but, I've noticed such a hyper-anality about Toslink, which I don't really care about. Just stuck a JB/Regen into the chain, and it's fine. I have a couple of 352.8s and DSD250s that I intend to keep on listening to. But, that's just my way of thinking. I do enjoy reading different ideas, and am not entirely closed-minded.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:04 AM Post #16,719 of 22,516
I'm using amphenol RF BNC cables a massive improvement over stock cables in both build quality and sound quality.

Aug 11, 2019 at 4:00 PM Post #16,721 of 22,516
Something is occurring for sure. May be the vastly superior build quality is at play here?? i don't know. It's not night/day but something is happening.

Aug 11, 2019 at 5:50 PM Post #16,722 of 22,516
Something is occurring for sure. May be the vastly superior build quality is at play here?? i don't know. It's not night/day but something is happening.

It's probably science thats happening.

The science of placebo.

Just joking. Different types, thicknesses of copper, with or without shielding and then the actual end connectors themselves can all play a part. Tin plated connectors are supposed to not tarnish like copper, silver and gold do, or something along those lines, I just read it on the supra cables website, so it must be legit.

Lots of variables at work.

Aug 14, 2019 at 7:29 PM Post #16,723 of 22,516
lets get some action on this thread...:gs1000smile:

Aug 14, 2019 at 10:17 PM Post #16,725 of 22,516
H2 needs outboard filtering (mscaler, HQPlayer) to remove the digital glare. TT1 is perfect in every way. At least IMHO.

There. Action.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back