Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Aug 14, 2019 at 10:35 PM Post #16,727 of 22,475
what glare? my mscaler removed no such thing...

Aug 14, 2019 at 11:13 PM Post #16,728 of 22,475
Digital glare in H2 ? Is someone kidding ? Glare as compared to what ? H2 has better filtering than tt. H2 has much better measurements than most of the dac. It has much advance filtering than those many $k dacs. There is is no reason of having it glare. In fact it sounds much closer to vinyl or reel to reel tape.

Aug 15, 2019 at 10:44 AM Post #16,730 of 22,475
Opto dx recommended for tt2 mscaler?

what benefits do you hear? Subjectively give me a % in sq gain... 5%?
Kyn,
It has to be subjective since we don't have the tools to measure improvements in sound quality as things get very transparent. Reducing RF in all its guises puts a DAC in a better place from which to do its work. An optical link from HMS to H2 is a positive step in that direction - and its objective (photons do not carry an electric charge). Percentage gain? It's just a nicer experience that makes you feel like you are just closer to the original.
Dan

Aug 16, 2019 at 12:27 AM Post #16,732 of 22,475
Never heard a glare on the Hugo 2 but I want to share the amazing tweakable upgrades that the Hugo 2 can do.

I have a 22 stage power filter chain going on and while it may be excessive, it has exceed my demos of the Dave and Hugo 2 TT + mscaler.

The very unique thing about it is once I got to stage 12, I didn't need my Bakoon amp anymore. There was better quality running the LCD 3 and 4 straight from the Hugo 2. More speed and air.

I have an HDPLEX going to:
LPS 1.2 -> quad stage dxpwr -> rear Corning

Quad stage dxpwr -> dual stage dxpwr -> front of Corning

Dual stage -> Hugo 2 pwr.

Also includes 4 filtered cables , UPS (old unit but has better filtering than new ones), Weiduka. And 11x isilencers + running music off a flash drive that's been pre-converted to DSD 8x. All cat 8 DC cables. IFI groundhog.

Final SQ is hard to put into words. The macro dynamics is seemingly smaller because the leading edge is practically fixed. It's not shouty. Zero ear fatigue (starts around 12 stage). After one has gotten used to this sound, they'll notice there's a lot of small undulations in the music on a typical chain. The undulations of the singing and guitar strumming comes in this 1.5 sec wave.

While the macro-dynamics appears to have been reduced, the micro-dynamics has crazy improved in a natural way. After stage 18 power filtering, it appears that the noise floor starts to go up. What actually is going on is that the system is able to resolve, and render the air in the recording. Not fake air that a device may contribute to a sound.
And this is verified on this lo-fi recording of an album where for the first time I heard how poorly mixed and mic'd it is. It's like I'm wearing a VR cam, and having a POV on each of the instruments based on where the mic is placed and since it was not mindfully placed, the stage presentation was so confusing. It's like seeing a CCTV cam of 5 cameras and hearing the sound at the same time. And it can be a simple thing of taking out the groundhog from the power strip or putting it on the next open port available and the illusion is gone. A very sensitive situation.

IMG_20190806_151806.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:47 AM Post #16,734 of 22,475
Never heard a glare on the Hugo 2 but I want to share the amazing tweakable upgrades that the Hugo 2 can do.

I have a 22 stage power filter chain going on and while it may be excessive, it has exceed my demos of the Dave and Hugo 2 TT + mscaler.

The very unique thing about it is once I got to stage 12, I didn't need my Bakoon amp anymore. There was better quality running the LCD 3 and 4 straight from the Hugo 2. More speed and air.

I have an HDPLEX going to:
LPS 1.2 -> quad stage dxpwr -> rear Corning

Quad stage dxpwr -> dual stage dxpwr -> front of Corning

Dual stage -> Hugo 2 pwr.

Also includes 4 filtered cables , UPS (old unit but has better filtering than new ones), Weiduka. And 11x isilencers + running music off a flash drive that's been pre-converted to DSD 8x. All cat 8 DC cables. IFI groundhog.

Final SQ is hard to put into words. The macro dynamics is seemingly smaller because the leading edge is practically fixed. It's not shouty. Zero ear fatigue (starts around 12 stage). After one has gotten used to this sound, they'll notice there's a lot of small undulations in the music on a typical chain. The undulations of the singing and guitar strumming comes in this 1.5 sec wave.

While the macro-dynamics appears to have been reduced, the micro-dynamics has crazy improved in a natural way. After stage 18 power filtering, it appears that the noise floor starts to go up. What actually is going on is that the system is able to resolve, and render the air in the recording. Not fake air that a device may contribute to a sound.
And this is verified on this lo-fi recording of an album where for the first time I heard how poorly mixed and mic'd it is. It's like I'm wearing a VR cam, and having a POV on each of the instruments based on where the mic is placed and since it was not mindfully placed, the stage presentation was so confusing. It's like seeing a CCTV cam of 5 cameras and hearing the sound at the same time. And it can be a simple thing of taking out the groundhog from the power strip or putting it on the next open port available and the illusion is gone. A very sensitive situation.

Sorry but can you please elaborate about 22 stage filtering ? My laptop transport has similar filtering. I use 3x ifi isilencer and after that one ifi idefender. Idefender is supplied with 4x NiMH battery power. And spare usb ports use my not in use 3 jitterbugs. Hugo tt2 and m scaler supply use ifi dc purifier one each. Also cables of power supply uses a number of ferrites clips before ifi dc purifier. The power supply distribution uses 5x ifi ac purifier, one in mains board and 4 in distribution board. I used copper tapes over dual BNC furutech FX alpha ag cables and also on oyaide neo usb cables. Except ifi devices all the tweaks like ferrites, copper tape are not very costly. I refrained using ferrites on digital and analog cables. Ferrites used only on power cables. So far results are very good. System is completely immune to any EMI and RFI and extremely clean.

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 1:55 AM Post #16,735 of 22,475
A single cable straight from lightning to micro-USB would obviously be the ideal solution
I use this short lightning to micro-USB cable between my iPhone X and the H2. Works a charm. For travel, I prefer this setup to my Mojopoly (though I love the Mojopoly as an around the house Room endpoint).

http://meenova.com/st/p/lgtnmuc.html

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 3:01 AM Post #16,736 of 22,475
Guess my question here is only remotely related to the H2, but nevertheless... I don‘t know much about optical connectors, so:

I want to hook up my old CD transport to the H2. It is a 1995 AVM Evolution CD1plus (German high-end brand). Only digital outputs, TOSLINK, BNC and RCA/Cinch. I consider TOSLINK the best option. However, no matter how much I googled, I can‘t find out what connector or adapter I would need to use on that CD transport. It has a TOTX173 optical transmitter, with sort of a pole sticking out of the CD1 case. That pole has a rectangular platform at its end. How to connect the H2 stock optical cable to that, or is there an optical cable with appropriate connectors on each end?

This is the TOTX173:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-TOTX173-MODULE-Fiber-Optic-Transmitting-Module-for-/401214128803

Last edited:
Aug 16, 2019 at 7:46 AM Post #16,738 of 22,475
Guess my question here is only remotely related to the H2, but nevertheless... I don‘t know much about optical connectors, so:

I want to hook up my old CD transport to the H2. It is a 1995 AVM Evolution CD1plus (German high-end brand). Only digital outputs, TOSLINK, BNC and RCA/Cinch. I consider TOSLINK the best option. However, no matter how much I googled, I can‘t find out what connector or adapter I would need to use on that CD transport. It has a TOTX173 optical transmitter, with sort of a pole sticking out of the CD1 case. That pole has a rectangular platform at its end. How to connect the H2 stock optical cable to that, or is there an optical cable with appropriate connectors on each end?

This is the TOTX173:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/TOSHIBA-TOTX173-MODULE-Fiber-Optic-Transmitting-Module-for-/401214128803
This is the only image on the web that I could find of the optical output on your transport.
AVM-Evolution-CD-1-Plus-CD-Laufwerk-in-Chrom-_57.jpg
Toslink is an industry wide standard, so nothing bespoke about it. Surely the Hugo stock cable should fit into that socket.
For CDs, I find that my H2 gives great results using the optical output from a bluray player, so maybe that is an easier option for you, rather than a dedicated transport.
I imagine that owners of Blu2 will now stick voodoo pins into a doll of me, but I will cope.

Aug 16, 2019 at 7:55 AM Post #16,739 of 22,475
Hey @musickid Looks like I did my job and sparked up the thread. You're welcome. Still say the TT is a better long session listening experience than the H2. Not sure about the TT2 but it is out of the picture for me. The H2 does improve with the HQPscaler. LOL

Aug 16, 2019 at 8:10 AM Post #16,740 of 22,475
This is the only image on the web that I could find of the optical output on your transport.

Toslink is an industry wide standard, so nothing bespoke about it. Surely the Hugo stock cable should fit into that socket.
For CDs, I find that my H2 gives great results using the optical output from a bluray player, so maybe that is an easier option for you, rather than a dedicated transport.
I imagine that owners of Blu2 will now stick voodoo pins into a doll of me, but I will cope.
No, my model has a different TOSLINK output connector, like this one:

upload_2019-8-16_14-3-33.jpeg

It is the bottom left pole. Took this pic from eBay Germany. My model must be a bit older, it doesn‘t have the dig XLR out yet, otherwise all the same. The manual for my CD1 device and the TOTX173 datasheets call that output pole TOSLINK.

Now, again please, what optical adapter or cable connector does it take to hook the Hugo 2, in particular its stock optical cable, to this ”strange“ pole?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back