Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jul 1, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #16,561 of 22,516
How do you know that what this thing does in the digital domain is not going to negatively affect the SQ?

I'd think it would be almost trivial to do A/B comparisons between EQ'd and non EQ'd signal and then decide, which one sounds best. Calibrating room frequency response with a DSP is a well known operation with clearly audible benefits. I've owned multiple A/V receivers with various DSP systems and they have all benefitted the overall sound quality, if the signal has originally been in the digital domain.

The extra AD-DA conversion is what you should worry about, but there was no implication of this taking place in this case.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 2019 at 6:18 AM Post #16,562 of 22,516
This question is directed to @Rob Watts primarily but feel free to chip in if anyone thinks they know the answer.

Generally my Hugo2 is fairly static (due to it being attached to an M Scaler) so I have been running it off mains in desktop mode. To avoid any chance of ground loops in my setup, I would like to switch to running the Hugo2 off its battery when listening. So recently I have been leaving it plugged in and on while not in use, then just unplugging the Hugo2 before using it. When I finish, I just plug it back in. My question is regarding the different charging states. I understand what is happening during desktop mode, and obviously when the battery is in need of charge after use it will be charging, but what is happening between the charging phase and the 24 hours before entering desktop mode? Is the charger still trying to charge the battery or does it recognise the battery is fully charged and switch to standby?

What I'm trying to determine is: Will leaving the Hugo2 plugged in and on when not in use, while most days unplugging when I listen, have any significant impact on battery life? Sometimes it will make it to desktop mode I guess and other days it won't. I'm not too concerned as batteries can be replaced, but it would be good to understand what's happening.

Thanks

Desktop mode is intended for when it's on and being charged 24 hours a day - so you will be fine if you turn it off whilst not using it - it will simply re-charge it, then disconnect the charger from the battery when fully charged, so battery life won't get impaired by constantly charging it at full voltage.

Jul 2, 2019 at 5:28 AM Post #16,563 of 22,516
Hi Rob, would be so kind to provide me Hugo 2's latency at 96kHz sample rate?
I'm trying to connect it to the Minidsp SHD: https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd
I know that Hugo 2's latency at 48kHz is around 31ms, but this SHD device apparently only outputs at 96kHz.

Cheers!

hey guys!
What would be the latency of the Hugo 2?

Let me explain better.

Current setup:
- Speakers: Klipsch Forte III
- 2 Subwoofers: Klipsch R-115SW
- Amplifier: Hegel H190
- DAC: Chord Hugo 2

After proper acoustic treatment, my next move would be that of using digital correction as the final tweak to reach a flatter frequency response curve in my room (or at least in my listening spot).

I'm thinking about getting a DSP device, like the miniDSP SHD (digital and analog) or SHD Studio (only digital):

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio

I'd like to use my Chord Hugo 2 dac to provide analog signal to the main speakers. I suppose the audio chain will be:

Macbook --> SHD Studio --> Hugo 2 DAC --> Amplifier Hegel --> Main Speakers Forte III

Macbook --> SHD Studio analog out 1 --> Subwoofer 1

Macbook --> SHD Studio analog out 2 --> Subwoofer 2

But then someone pointed out that Hugo 2's latency is pretty high and so the subs' sound might hit the listener earlier than the main speakers' sound in an audible way...

Does this make sense? What would be the latency of the Hugo 2?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2019 at 6:35 AM Post #16,564 of 22,516
Do you really need actual H2 latency? Dirac software should be able to determine delays automatically. If you want to fine-tune it, you should better try to change delays basing on what you hear. I have some experience in car audio (where delays plays the most important role) and best sounding channel delay setting never was the same as calculated.

Jul 2, 2019 at 8:20 AM Post #16,566 of 22,516
Jul 2, 2019 at 9:18 AM Post #16,567 of 22,516
Thank you so much for your quick reply.
Only 16ms? So, 31ms delay at 48kHz and 16ms delay at 96kHz, right?
Ok, it just sounds a bit counterintuitive to me, but I'm no expert at all. More samples to process and the Hugo 2 goes faster with less delay? Did I understand correctly?

Jul 2, 2019 at 9:27 AM Post #16,568 of 22,516
Ok, it just sounds a bit counterintuitive to me, but I'm no expert at all. More samples to process and the Hugo 2 goes faster with less delay? Did I understand correctly?

Less calculations to do on higher res files I assume.

Jul 2, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #16,570 of 22,516
I'd think it would be almost trivial to do A/B comparisons between EQ'd and non EQ'd signal and then decide, which one sounds best. Calibrating room frequency response with a DSP is a well known operation with clearly audible benefits. I've owned multiple A/V receivers with various DSP systems and they have all benefitted the overall sound quality, if the signal has originally been in the digital domain.

The extra AD-DA conversion is what you should worry about, but there was no implication of this taking place in this case.

I have owned A/V stuff and the "various DSP" was a joke that usually made a mess of the SQ as far as I am concerned. I have honestly been there and seen that stuff, so it no longer interests me. At the end of the day it sounds the way it sounds and if you decide that A sounds better to you than B, then that is the end of the story. What I or anyone else think makes no difference.

Just for fun, let's say you have a musician(s) play live in a room. Would you just listen to them, or would you record the music, calibrate the room for frequency response, use DSP and then play it all back to enjoy the "clearly audible benefits"?

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:36 AM Post #16,571 of 22,516
So I went to turn my Hugo2 on today and it did not turn on (at all), so I have not experienced this before so I figured maybe it was just a very flat battery, so put the charger in, light goes blue. Come back an hour later and try to turn it on, still no luck. On closer inspection I see that the on button is no longer going down when I press it and making the little click noise like the other 3 buttons and it is in a permanently depressed position. I suspect that the button's mechanism is broken (which sucks), so before I pursue getting it fixed (it is out of warranty), has anyone here experienced this and/or have any ideas on how to resolve it?

many thanks.

ps - I did do a search in the thread re this but could not find anything.

Jul 3, 2019 at 12:58 AM Post #16,572 of 22,516

See below:

It could be that it has a fixed depth pipeline processing the samples... So when you increase the sample rate, samples mice through the pipeline faster.

Correct!

So I went to turn my Hugo2 on today and it did not turn on (at all), so I have not experienced this before so I figured maybe it was just a very flat battery, so put the charger in, light goes blue. Come back an hour later and try to turn it on, still no luck. On closer inspection I see that the on button is no longer going down when I press it and making the little click noise like the other 3 buttons and it is in a permanently depressed position. I suspect that the button's mechanism is broken (which sucks), so before I pursue getting it fixed (it is out of warranty), has anyone here experienced this and/or have any ideas on how to resolve it?

many thanks.

ps - I did do a search in the thread re this but could not find anything.

I haven't encountered this before nor heard of this too. Since it's out of warranty, try unscrewing all the screws holding the top plate by a bit, so it has some movement. Free up the power switch, and lightly tighten the screws again...

Jul 3, 2019 at 1:16 AM Post #16,573 of 22,516
Thanks Rob, will give that a try tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back