Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Jun 22, 2019 at 4:41 PM Post #16,547 of 22,467
Cheers mate!
I feel like many users just assume bluetooth is way inferior without real proofs/measurements.
On paper aptx bluetooth is supposed to be able to transmit CD quality and this sampling rate would be enough for me.
So I wonder how much exactly this bluetooth signal is degraded compared to the cabled one.. And to which extent is this degradation audible?
If I recall, I think H2 doesn't quite use the most advanced Bluetooth format. I also don't think one has to study papers and measurements to make up one's own mind. I haven't tried BT vs USB with H2, yet. But, I'd rather feed the best possible signal to it. And, having compared BT to wired in other circumstances, I'll go wired for the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 6:32 PM Post #16,549 of 22,467
The Hugo2 will support multiple bluetooth devices, but not automatically re-pair. To switch between bluetooth sources you need to switch the Hugo to another source, then switch back and pair again, or unpair on the source device.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2019 at 6:45 PM Post #16,550 of 22,467
Bluetooth will always be inferior by logical reasoning.

At night the white filter light makes a beautiful angelic rainbow reflection on my wall in the dark. Has anyone else experienced this? A free light show with my music and i almost feel guilty as i haven't paid for it.:wink:

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 4:08 PM Post #16,551 of 22,467
We want to see the whole rig...:beyersmile:

It's just an rPi w/ an Lifatec glass. I lined the inside of the case with RFI/EMI blocking faraday tape. I also have some neoprene pieces scattered with the faraday tape since I needed something waterproof for the back on the Hugo2. Just added faraday tape for good measure. This simple and low cost high quality solution made me change my whole outlook on redbook. Desktop PC source w/ entire OS loaded in RAM + Desktop optical cable + Desktop DAC = True Desktop SQ in a transportable form factor. Really optimises the Chord experience.

hf.png

Figured out how to make the rPi a access point now vs a wireless client utilising the built-in WIFI. This allows me to connect to the rPi SSID with an Apple device (iPhone, iPad or Apple Watch) without the need of an external travel router.

hf2.png

So I now permanently complement the IR remote with an iOS app:

ip2.png
ip3.png
ip4.png
ip7.png
ip8.png
ip9.png

Might as well add faraday tape to iPhone dongle...

dong.png

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2019 at 5:04 PM Post #16,552 of 22,467
early impressions:
"And to me and others who had the rare pleasure of trying it, the "Heddphone" from Hedd.audio was shoulders above ALL else at the show, even beyond Empyreans and Raal SR1 (in our view), electrostats, etc. A super rare gem and profoundly well done, and for less than Empyreans. Though not quite finalized for production"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/hed...th-amt-technology.906270/page-4#post-15028778

haven't read anything on h2 synergy...

Jun 27, 2019 at 9:58 AM Post #16,553 of 22,467
hey guys!
What would be the latency of the Hugo 2?

Let me explain better.

Current setup:
- Speakers: Klipsch Forte III
- 2 Subwoofers: Klipsch R-115SW
- Amplifier: Hegel H190
- DAC: Chord Hugo 2

After proper acoustic treatment, my next move would be that of using digital correction as the final tweak to reach a flatter frequency response curve in my room (or at least in my listening spot).

I'm thinking about getting a DSP device, like the miniDSP SHD (digital and analog) or SHD Studio (only digital):

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd-studio

I'd like to use my Chord Hugo 2 dac to provide analog signal to the main speakers. I suppose the audio chain will be:

Macbook --> SHD Studio --> Hugo 2 DAC --> Amplifier Hegel --> Main Speakers Forte III

Macbook --> SHD Studio analog out 1 --> Subwoofer 1

Macbook --> SHD Studio analog out 2 --> Subwoofer 2

But then someone pointed out that Hugo 2's latency is pretty high and so the subs' sound might hit the listener earlier than the main speakers' sound in an audible way...

Does this make sense? What would be the latency of the Hugo 2?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #16,554 of 22,467
After proper acoustic treatment, my next move would be that of using digital correction as the final tweak to reach a flatter frequency response curve in my room (or at least in my listening spot).

Won't your digital device/correction undo all the good work that the Hugo does with it's DAC? A simple system that works well and is enjoyable in practice is much better than a complicated system that only works well in theory. As an added bonus it is usually cheaper and takes up less space.

Jun 29, 2019 at 4:56 PM Post #16,555 of 22,467
Won't your digital device/correction undo all the good work that the Hugo does with it's DAC? A simple system that works well and is enjoyable in practice is much better than a complicated system that only works well in theory. As an added bonus it is usually cheaper and takes up less space.

No it won't, if it's done in the digital domain.

Hugo 2 latency is 31 ms, answered here.

Jun 30, 2019 at 6:53 AM Post #16,557 of 22,467
No, if the DSP device is before the Hugo 2 in the audio chain and if it's digital in and digital out as Collusion said. Well, with your logic one could listen to a pair of Sennheiser HD800 straight from a smartphone... it works well and it's still enjoyable! It's cheaper and takes up less space than with a Hugo 2 :wink:

No it won't, if it's done in the digital domain.

Hugo 2 latency is 31 ms, answered here.
Cheers! That's exactly what I was looking for. 31 ms!

hey guys!
What would be the latency of the Hugo 2?

Let me explain better.

Current setup:
- Speakers: Klipsch Forte III
- 2 Subwoofers: Klipsch R-115SW
- Amplifier: Hegel H190
- DAC: Chord Hugo 2

I'm thinking about getting a DSP device, like the miniDSP SHD (digital and analog) or SHD Studio (only digital):

https://www.minidsp.com/products/streaming-hd-series/shd

I'd like to use my Chord Hugo 2 dac to provide analog signal to the main speakers. I suppose the audio chain will be:

Macbook --> SHD Studio --> Hugo 2 DAC --> Amplifier Hegel --> Main Speakers Forte III

Macbook --> SHD Studio analog out 1 --> Subwoofer 1

Macbook --> SHD Studio analog out 2 --> Subwoofer 2

But then someone pointed out that Hugo 2's latency is pretty high and so the subs' sound might hit the listener earlier than the main speakers' sound in an audible way...

Does this make sense? What would be the latency of the Hugo 2?

Cheers!
Alright, now that I solved the latency "mystery", I need to figure out which cable to use between the Hugo 2 and the Minidsp SHD Studio.
What’s the best way to connect them?

I know that the SHD Studio’s got 4 digital outputs:
  1. FIRST output: SPDIF on RCA connector / Isolated with digital audio transformer
  2. SECOND output: SPDIF on RCA connector / Isolated with digital audio transformer
  3. THIRD output: AES-EBU on XLR connector
  4. FORTH output: AES-EBU on XLR connector

Chord Hugo 2 digital inputs are:
- Micro USB Input 768kHz (Probably wouldn't work with SHD)
- 3.5mm jack coaxial 768KHz/32-bit capable
- Optical Input 192kHz
  1. Am I able to use both SPDIF output and AES-EBU output to connect to Hugo 2?
  2. Which cable should I use?
Cheers guys!

Jun 30, 2019 at 2:40 PM Post #16,559 of 22,467
How do you know that what this thing does in the digital domain is not going to negatively affect the SQ?
Threre's no certainty about it. After all DSP (particularly in the form of equalizers) is meant to improve the sound, but it's all about implementation and operator's skills. Like the recordings you listen to, which all have run through some sort of DSPs without you noticing it.

Jul 1, 2019 at 4:53 AM Post #16,560 of 22,467
This question is directed to @Rob Watts primarily but feel free to chip in if anyone thinks they know the answer.

Generally my Hugo2 is fairly static (due to it being attached to an M Scaler) so I have been running it off mains in desktop mode. To avoid any chance of ground loops in my setup, I would like to switch to running the Hugo2 off its battery when listening. So recently I have been leaving it plugged in and on while not in use, then just unplugging the Hugo2 before using it. When I finish, I just plug it back in. My question is regarding the different charging states. I understand what is happening during desktop mode, and obviously when the battery is in need of charge after use it will be charging, but what is happening between the charging phase and the 24 hours before entering desktop mode? Is the charger still trying to charge the battery or does it recognise the battery is fully charged and switch to standby?

What I'm trying to determine is: Will leaving the Hugo2 plugged in and on when not in use, while most days unplugging when I listen, have any significant impact on battery life? Sometimes it will make it to desktop mode I guess and other days it won't. I'm not too concerned as batteries can be replaced, but it would be good to understand what's happening.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back