Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Apr 24, 2019 at 4:34 PM Post #16,172 of 22,500
I’m sure this question has been answered dozens of times in this thread but after searching, I can’t find the answer.

I’m running Hugo 2 in desktop mode. However, I’m not turning it off. Is it ok to leave on permanently like this? My thought is that powering it down, takes it off desktop mode.

I'm assuming it's always plugged in. I would suggest you don't have it charging when you're listening to it. There is a loud hum from my H2 if I'm listening when charging, I believe this is from having extremely sensitive IEMs(64 Audio A18t), I get much better sound quality if I'm listening without charging although I would suspect the effect is far less noticeable when using over ears.

Apr 24, 2019 at 4:36 PM Post #16,173 of 22,500
Hi, yes the Mscaler definitely has came up on my research. I'm hoping that comes later down the road due to my budget. Only reason I'm trying to avoid the H2 is because I'm solely using it for desktop. Not sure that's a good reason because it's designed to be portable with the battery and all. I'm afraid if i leave it plugged in all the time the battery will go to ****. I'm sure there's others here that are using it that way, pros/cons? As for what I'll be driving, the Meze Empyrean.

The Mscaler is $5k, with a Hugo2 you could be coming close to Dave territory. Dave without a doubt over both MScaler and H2.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #16,176 of 22,500
Question, I'm getting into some really pricey stuff and honestly at the same time I'm hoping not to cross "overkill" territory. That's probably inevitable, but here is what i'm not/ or looking for.
Really really good sound, the obvious. PC>USB>DAC/AMP>Headphones. Compact would be great, but portable is not that important. Most likely the headphones would be plugged in by 1/4 stereo, 3.5, or balanced.
Not to big on XLR's. As far as quality goes does USB in/out make any difference or XLR's. Sorry for the stupid questions. You guys are super helpful, thank you!

I listed to some DSD/TIDAL/24bit FLACs

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:23 PM Post #16,177 of 22,500
The Mscaler is $5k, with a Hugo2 you could be coming close to Dave territory. Dave without a doubt over both MScaler and H2.

I actually paid $6,500usd for both the h2 and mscaler. The Dave is around $12,000usd so almost double the cost of this combo. It is important to find a good dealer preferably local and build a relationship with them. You help them by purchasing from them and they become invaluable in terms of helping to build a great system.

If you go with the h2 you can also upgrade to the tt2 or Dave further down the road. I wouldn't under estimate the h2 mscaler combo. Many are using the qutest with the mscaler and the h2 is the same dac as the qutest. Just my two cents.
The h2 is also damn good on it's own Mscaler just brings it to another level.

Apr 24, 2019 at 5:24 PM Post #16,178 of 22,500
Question, I'm getting into some really pricey stuff and honestly at the same time I'm hoping not to cross "overkill" territory. That's probably inevitable, but here is what i'm not/ or looking for.
Really really good sound, the obvious. PC>USB>DAC/AMP>Headphones. Compact would be great, but portable is not that important. Most likely the headphones would be plugged in by 1/4 stereo, 3.5, or balanced.
Not to big on XLR's. As far as quality goes does USB in/out make any difference or XLR's. Sorry for the stupid questions. You guys are super helpful, thank you!

if you are not looking into high end headphone...stick to something like a Schiit combo, Chord sounds good but it is costly, if you got deep pockets then you shouldnt even be asking this question. Depend on what headphone you get, what type of music you like. Dont buy a Chord if you want enhance bass and/or treble, you will be sorely disappointed, this is reference and it is revealing.

For portability, try the IFI micro BL first, then the Mojo, then original Hugo then Hugo 2.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 5:42 PM Post #16,179 of 22,500
He's a guy so skilled at engineering audio electronics that science named 'Watts' after him.

He also founded Chord.

Nope. John Franks founded Chord. Rob Watts designs DACs for Chord as an independent contractor.

Rob has designed audio gear since the 80’s for many large companies and has since forged his own path to implement his own ideas for audio reproduction, and his approach to DACs is different from everyone else’s (Pulse Array DAC, etc..). Seems to have paid off.

Last edited:
Apr 24, 2019 at 5:47 PM Post #16,180 of 22,500

If you are using the computer as a source, I could suggest trying HQPlayer on the PC instead of mscaler and the H2 as your dac. This will give close to mscaler filter for a fraction of the cost. Just a suggestion that is working for my budget.

Apr 24, 2019 at 9:23 PM Post #16,183 of 22,500
This is the strange part... I thought a loop is required to have a ground loop issue... with no USB source connected (and no source at all connected) then there is no 'loop'...

Maybe a question for @Rob Watts

Hi Rob, is there any technical mechanism possible for a ground loop 'hum' with Hugo2 if there is only the PSU and headphones connected to Hugo2 and there is no source connected? i.e. there is no 'loop'?

Apr 24, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #16,185 of 22,500
Wish they had a wall-wart version at the same price.

In desktop mode though, there's no need to worry about battery cycles...

If you only use it in desktop mode, the batteries will probably last so many years that there will probably be a Hugo with in-built M-Scaler out, well before the batteries die.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back