1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.

Dismiss Notice

Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread

Discussion in 'Portable Source Gear' started by ChordElectronics, Jan 5, 2017.
  1. flyte3333
    In desktop mode though, there's no need to worry about battery cycles...

If you only use it in desktop mode, the batteries will probably last so many years that there will probably be a Hugo with in-built M-Scaler out, well before the batteries die.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  2. DaneNoodles
    That's pretty impressive. I wasn't aware of this.

3. flyte3333
    From Rob:

"80,000 hours of operation - or about 10 years of being on permanently. But even with 50% capacity, Hugo 2 will still work perfectly well in standby mode, and will actually work with 0% battery capacity (or battery disconnected). Of course, this assumes the battery does not fail with an internal short!"

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-874#post-14292857

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  4. Deftone
    Im not sure it will, Rob's WTA filter is not available on HQ player. Ive heard you could run crazy 10 million tap filters on that but i doubt it would sound better than the 1 million tap mscaler.

5. Rob Watts
    All PSUs have a 50 or 60Hz (mains frequency) related leakage current - of the order of 10's of uA - so really small. But this leakage current wants to be earthed, and if it is via your body via your headphones then the current will take that path, and flow through the HP causing an audible hum. So its a ground loop via your own body - to stop the hum you simply need a single low impedance path to ground, so earthing Hugo 2 will stop the hum. It's this leakage current that can give you the tingling sensation when you touch the anodised metalwork. Note that a single low impedance ground connection won't create a ground loop - unless there are two paths.

I only ever noticed it in Indonesia once, and it turned out that the mains voltage was a whopping 310V - and even then I had to touch my HP connectors to get the audible buzz.

Chord Electronics Stay updated on Chord Electronics at their sponsor page on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/chordelectronics https://twitter.com/chordaudio http://www.chordelectronics.co.uk/
    rcoleman1, miketlse and flyte3333 like this.
  6. flyte3333
    Cheers Rob. That's a path I'd never thought about. Makes sense when I think about the tingling you mentioned.

7. Progisus
    I agree. But if cost is an issue and you have the PC anyway you can get pretty close. I wonder if anyone with an mscaler and HQPlayer has been able to compare the effect. I know I would prefer an mscaler but I also would not go back from the quality change that HQP has provided in the meantime.

8. dontfeedphils
    It's not about the number of taps, it's about the proprietary filter used in the Mscaler. Seems like an apples to oranges comparison.

9. musickid
    HQ player does not implement a WTA algorithm so its performance will never come close to a hardware mscaler with 740 dsp core processors built on a massive fpga. A case of apples to oranges here. Transients the stopping and starting of notes and the exact precise corresponding timing.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
    dontfeedphils likes this.
  10. Progisus
    I'm sure everything you say is true but for 200$ CAD you can get a taste. That's all I'm saying. I never said it is equal as I do not have the opportunity to compare or even hear the mscaler in my neck of the woods. It would be nice if someone with an mscaler and a PC could try the HQPlayer trial and report. What Rob has done by bringing the importance of transient re-creation has made others try to raise the bar to his level. A good thing for the hobby I think. HQPlayer (with some other front end such as roon) has allowed others to hear what this affect could bring for a moderate cost. I am not a HQP fan boy but appreciate the new level of enjoyment it has brought for now. BTW - It also provides improvement to my TT. It has also made my H2 the preferred DAC for me over my TT now that the digital glare is gone. IMHO.

Gibson59 likes this.
  11. musickid
    People might start to wrongly believe the mscaler can be accurately emulated. My intention is not to sound elitist but more a desire to share and make others aware of how beautiful music can sound when the original analogue recording is recaptured in its full entirety.

Hooster, JM1979 and dontfeedphils like this.
  12. flyte3333
    Re-captured?

13. musickid
    Yes recaptured. A quality that once existed or exists somewhere else and is brought back into existence. The reconstruction of the original analogue signal in the ADC. Now i hear the artist's real voice whereas before it was a flat uniform response.

14. ZappaMan
    I’d recommend you get a mojo and then unsubscribe from these threads! Mojo has plenty to offer, no need to spend crazy thousands.

phonomat and Progisus like this.
  15. 21qz
    I do love this answer, or my wallet does, but can this be explained?