Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 14, 2017 at 7:41 AM Post #1,591 of 22,475
im trading in my hugo 1 in september for hugo 2. i had a schitt multi dac and listened to many others. hugo made the lights flicker in the room as i listened to yo yo ma on his cello. let alone electronica etc. if chord dacs were called clown dacs i would be a clown dac fanboy. the sound for the price is really beyond words.

ultimate reference has to refer to dave their flagship reference dac. it won't be as good as dave no way that's a physical impossibility but it will instantly remind you of dave in the same way the cutie pie girl across the street infused a sense of deja vue in your psyche reminiscent of past relationships. it has to be unless im totally mistaken. ultimate reference.....ummm
we are in March right ?

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:05 AM Post #1,592 of 22,475
  im trading in my hugo 1 in september for hugo 2. i had a schitt multi dac and listened to many others. hugo made the lights flicker in the room as i listened to yo yo ma on his cello. let alone electronica etc. if chord dacs were called clown dacs i would be a clown dac fanboy. the sound for the price is really beyond words.

ultimate reference has to refer to dave their flagship reference dac. it won't be as good as dave no way that's a physical impossibility but it will instantly remind you of dave in the same way the cutie pie girl across the street infused a sense of deja vue in your psyche reminiscent of past relationships. it has to be unless im totally mistaken. ultimate reference.....ummm

You certainly move fast - you won't be getting your Hugo 1 until April!

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:20 AM Post #1,593 of 22,475
You certainly move fast - you won't be getting your Hugo 1 until April!
Reading reviews one will fall into the buy buy buy and never really enjoy anything.

Mar 14, 2017 at 8:51 AM Post #1,594 of 22,475
I just contacted my dealer. i was due to collect my hugo 1 on the 15th april. i had a long listening session in their demo room. i also auditioned the mojo elsewhere and the naim v1 and moon 230had. see previous post review. i had some good luck in that i found a good buyer for my earmax pro tube amp very recently. this brought the price difference between the hugo 1 vs hugo 2 much closer. i was still missing a chunk though as the hugo 1 was on offer for £1125. after plenty of thought and reflection i contacted someone close to me who agreed to act as guarantor so that i can pay the small outstanding amount that bridges a hugo 1 to hugo 2 later, pending a check by dealer. i shall now be the proud owner of a black hugo 2 in a few weeks unless this whole thing does not work which is a very small probability. living as a postgraduate student such manouvers are common. it only adds to the appreciation of the music and product. im sure plenty of others do such things too but find it difficult to broadcast here. im still convinced ultimate reference is a deja vue dave. theres no way they would name it such just to let us down. especially when mojo has its rightful filter and projected new home.
happy_face1.gif
 from the increased reach of the interpolation filters in the hugo 2 the sonic adjustment will be a true revelation. taps, taps, taps.

mini update (Just reserved a black hugo 2 for end of april. 100% guaranteed with full payment taken care of.) a big big thankyou to all members that have patiently helped and guided me to this point and for sharing their knowledge and expertise) mk

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:16 AM Post #1,595 of 22,475

You have been drinking, right?

Yes, the Hugo2 will be good, very good even, or maybe outstanding, but just because a manufacturer calls a filter 'ultimate reference' it doesn't necessarily mean that they slipped the Dave innards in there by mistake.

I know you are excited but normally the sun has to be over the yardarm before imbibing the falling over water.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:26 AM Post #1,596 of 22,475
"DAVE is our flagship DAC, a true reference-level product"

its so obvious its staring us in the face. mojo and dave together at last under one cosy chassis.

on a serious point my level of tech knowledge is rudimentary to say the least. but from the website above the hint is so strong????

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #1,598 of 22,475
  "DAVE is our flagship DAC, a true reference-level product"

its so obvious its staring us in the face. mojo and dave together at last under one cosy chassis.

on a serious point my level of tech knowledge is rudimentary to say the least. but from the website above the hint is so strong????

I'll have whatever you're drinking.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:42 AM Post #1,599 of 22,475
i only drink decaff coffee UELong. i find it to be a close resemblance to real coffee. not the real thing of course but it tastes just like the real thing!!

"some people use music to listen to their equipment. some people use their equipment to listen to music"

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:46 AM Post #1,600 of 22,475
Hopefully not Bipolar.

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:52 AM Post #1,601 of 22,475
ive been working towards this very moment since last september. 7 months of reviewing review after review after forum after forum. intona's to san fransisco, modi multi bits sent to france, yulong's sent to italian alpine resorts. hoarding money as a postgrad student. from metrum musettes to gumbys to bimbys. moon's naim's. then i heard hugo and it all stopped. and this very moment this morning it went from hugo to hugo 2's. a revelation. hugo 2 black secured. it wasn't easy.constant compromises.  the saxophone on your latest trick will be incredible on hugo 2. 

Mar 14, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #1,602 of 22,475
  ive been working towards this very moment since last september. 7 months of reviewing review after review after forum after forum. intona's to san fransisco, modi multi bits sent to france, yulong's sent to italian alpine resorts. hoarding money as a postgrad student. from metrum musettes to gumbys to bimbys. moon's naim's. then i heard hugo and it all stopped. and this very moment this morning it went from hugo to hugo 2's. a revelation. hugo 2 black secured. it wasn't easy.constant compromises.  the saxophone on your latest trick will be incredible on hugo 2. 

Have you heard Hugo2?

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:01 AM Post #1,603 of 22,475
no just hugo. but it must be better than hugo 1 due to the increased capability of the interpolation filter. the presentation by the very laws of physics suggests increased microdetail, increased movement towards the sound of the original recording. the taps. approx 25k taps in hugo 1 vs approx 50k taps in hugo 2. if im wrong id love to know why to add to my knowledge .

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #1,604 of 22,475
no just hugo. but it must be better than hugo 1 due to the increased capability of the interpolation filter. the presentation by the very laws of physics suggests increased microdetail, increased movement towards the sound of the original recording. the taps. approx 25k taps in hugo 1 vs approx 50k taps in hugo 2. if im wrong id love to know why to add to my knowledge .
I would say, one could easily enjoy and be happy with a Hugo for 3 years before moving forwards.

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:07 AM Post #1,605 of 22,475
I am sure Hugo2 will be better than Hugo1.

It was just that you were waxing lyrically about Hugo2 and even comparing it to Dave.

I understand the excitement and I can also appreciate the logic of buying a DAC at the start of it's lifecycle (Hugo2) rather than end of lifecycle (Hugo1) as that way it will keep it's value better

Have fun with the Hugo2 when it arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back