Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 13, 2017 at 4:01 PM Post #1,562 of 22,467
The majority of products in this hobby have batteries that are non user replaceable. What can you do about it? You can vote with your wallet, and buy something else. Or nothing at all.

In any case, I (and probably many others) are fine with this compromise, and here we are.
Really this all depend how component you are in taking a unit apart, there are eight external and four internal screws the batteries have detachable connectors and are easily plugged in. We can provide batteries on request. I would ask though that if any one is at all unused to handling batteries to take time to study them in order to fully comprehend the safety issues before undertaking the replacement procedure. Many retailer would be happy to do this for you if they have a service engineer.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Post #1,563 of 22,467
would hugo 2 be overkill for tidal lossless streaming. in this case 16/44.1 khz tidal cd quality and 24/96khz for tidal masters.

at some point i will experiment with dsd and higher resolution music but at present tidal is my main source of music.

thanks mk.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:13 PM Post #1,564 of 22,467
  would hugo 2 be overkill for tidal lossless streaming.

No, as far as I can tell Tidal lossless streaming is an excellent source, as long as you have your settings correct and use decent cables. On the other hand, Hugo may very well be overkill if you are not using headphones/speakers that will do it justice.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:17 PM Post #1,565 of 22,467
  would hugo 2 be overkill for tidal lossless streaming. in this case 16/44.1 khz tidal cd quality and 24/96khz for tidal masters.

at some point i will experiment with dsd and higher resolution music but at present tidal is my main source of music.

thanks mk.

Mojo works wonders with standard redbook CD (and makes MP3s sound very good as well) - so much so that I no longer worry about chasing hires versions of files. The Hugo 2 should be able to raise the bar even higher - so you may find that tidal is all you need.

Your Hugo 1 should give a good account of itself as well - so enjoy it for a few months, and then you can make an informed decision about the Hugo 2. You never know, but you may find that the Hugo 1 satisfies all your needs. 

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:27 PM Post #1,566 of 22,467

thanks mk.

Well I do much of my listening using the Tidal HiFi streaming and I use Dave and don't consider that overkill for the Tidal service. I can clearly tell the improvement to the Tidal HiFi service by using Dave compared to the HugoTT or indeed compared to another competitors DAC costing ~ £10,000.

I have ordered the Blu2 CD/upscaler which I will mostly use with Tidal. I do not consider that will be overkill.

Notice that I haven't said anything about cables. Keep your money in your pocket and just make sure you have cables with decent plugs on the end. Save the money for towards a better DAC in due course.

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:33 PM Post #1,567 of 22,467
  I have ordered the Blu2 CD/upscaler which I will mostly use with Tidal. I do not consider that will be overkill.

Please note that the upscaler will unluck its full functionality only without any preamp in the chain!
wink.gif

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:41 PM Post #1,569 of 22,467

Please note that the upscaler will unluck its full functionality only without any preamp in the chain!
wink.gif

Haha. How little do you know. :)

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:48 PM Post #1,571 of 22,467

Says the person who inserts an expensive box full of cables and transformers in his signal chain... 

Precisely. But then I haven't reminded anyone about the yards and yards of thin wires in their headphone drivers or speaker voice coils. . . . .

Mar 13, 2017 at 4:59 PM Post #1,572 of 22,467

Says the person who inserts an expensive box full of cables and transformers in his signal chain... 

Precisely. But then I haven't reminded anyone about the yards and yards of thin wires in their headphone drivers or speaker voice coils. . . . .

Not so many in the HE1000; even the HD 800 (or any other dynamic headphone) is far from «yards», in contrast to transformer coils... 
blink.gif
  However, erverything adds to everything.

Mar 13, 2017 at 5:17 PM Post #1,573 of 22,467

Well I do much of my listening using the Tidal HiFi streaming and I use Dave and don't consider that overkill for the Tidal service. I can clearly tell the improvement to the Tidal HiFi service by using Dave compared to the HugoTT or indeed compared to another competitors DAC costing ~ £10,000.

Sounds like a good plan with Tidal. The only thing that really worries me about Tidal is that I have no clue of the master tape's, or remaster's, provenance. Is this the 2007 highly compressed "remaster"  of Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? or the 1984, 1985, 1987, 1994 or 1999 remasters, which, believe me, all sound much more dynamic, clean and natural than the 2007 abomination. This is just one example out of thousands.

I'm not speaking to you, specifically, Nick. I'm just saying that it would drive me mad not knowing what I'm putting in my ears until they start to bleed...whereupon it's too late.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a junkie for collecting various remasters and comparing them to decipher which one sounds the best. At the same time, though, when somebody posts the DR value on the database, I'll not only stay away from it, but also recognize that most of the time a streaming service will license the "latest and greatest," which, 9 times out of 10, isn't that great at all.

Now, thanks to the magic of the Blu2, if I'm not careful, I could find myself listening to a fantastically clipped and compressed recordings, only now 16x RBCD!

Did you ever see that bit where the drummer from Spinal Tap exploded?

Mar 13, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #1,574 of 22,467
Really this all depend how component you are in taking a unit apart, there are eight external and four internal screws the batteries have detachable connectors and are easily plugged in. We can provide batteries on request. I would ask though that if any one is at all unused to handling batteries to take time to study them in order to fully comprehend the safety issues before undertaking the replacement procedure. Many retailer would be happy to do this for you if they have a service engineer.

Thanks John,
That is great to hear and is a big upgrade from Hugo1. Any upgrades to the sensitivity of the power supply or battery charger over the Hugo1? Or is this now a mute point with the charging being performed via 5V Vbus?

Mar 13, 2017 at 8:46 PM Post #1,575 of 22,467

Sounds like a good plan with Tidal. The only thing that really worries me about Tidal is that I have no clue of the master tape's, or remaster's, provenance. Is this the 2007 highly compressed "remaster"  of Genesis' The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway? or the 1984, 1985, 1987, 1994 or 1999 remasters, which, believe me, all sound much more dynamic, clean and natural than the 2007 abomination. This is just one example out of thousands.

I'm not speaking to you, specifically, Nick. I'm just saying that it would drive me mad not knowing what I'm putting in my ears until they start to bleed...whereupon it's too late.

Okay, I'll admit that I'm a junkie for collecting various remasters and comparing them to decipher which one sounds the best. At the same time, though, when somebody posts the DR value on the database, I'll not only stay away from it, but also recognize that most of the time a streaming service will license the "latest and greatest," which, 9 times out of 10, isn't that great at all.

Now, thanks to the magic of the Blu2, if I'm not careful, I could find myself listening to a fantastically clipped and compressed recordings, only now 16x RBCD!

Did you ever see that bit where the drummer from Spinal Tap exploded?

I agree 100% which is why I buy CD's that i know are mastered well and sound good and burn them to a HD,this way I know exactly what I am listening to and in addition I have the CD for listening on my loudspeaker system!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back