Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
Mar 8, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #15,676 of 22,475
Yes that's what I meant: assuming h2 is always connected to the wall charger, when h2 is turned on and playing, the battery will discharge from 100% to ~80%; and then when h2 is turned off, the battery will be charged to 100%. Is that right? So only in terms of battery life, it is still "worse" than leave H2 on 24/7, where the battery keeps at about 80% constantly? Sorry about the annoyance. I'm just curious
Rob says there should be no problem in leaving it running. In fact, he had an amp which he left on for about 26 years.I tried leaving mine on continuously once. It was toooo hot in my opinion. I turn it off when not in use, and I don't worry about it. The H2's battery is reportedly easier to replace than the Original, and if it dies, I'll get it replaced. If you have a good dealer, as I have, there should be no problem.

Mar 8, 2019 at 4:50 PM Post #15,677 of 22,475
Rob says there should be no problem in leaving it running. In fact, he had an amp which he left on for about 26 years.I tried leaving mine on continuously once. It was toooo hot in my opinion. I turn it off when not in use, and I don't worry about it. The H2's battery is reportedly easier to replace than the Original, and if it dies, I'll get it replaced. If you have a good dealer, as I have, there should be no problem.
That's exactly what I'm doing. If I decide to use H2 as a desktop DAC mainly, the battery life should not be my concern. The whole unit should be taken care of instead. Just a little confused about the term "desktop mode", as there are two opinions from the posts. Reading the manual, it seems to me that it means 24/7 on so there is no discharge/recharge.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:25 PM Post #15,678 of 22,475
That's exactly what I'm doing. If I decide to use H2 as a desktop DAC mainly, the battery life should not be my concern. The whole unit should be taken care of instead. Just a little confused about the term "desktop mode", as there are two opinions from the posts. Reading the manual, it seems to me that it means 24/7 on so there is no discharge/recharge.

I thought the same and tried to explain this.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:27 PM Post #15,679 of 22,475
From what I gather in desktop mode the charging circuit matches the output so there is no net change in battery charge while the Hugo2 is powered on.

Mar 8, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #15,680 of 22,475
Why should i wear it away by leaving it on 24/7 when i'm not using it

Because leaving it on 24/7 actually uses lowest battery charge cycles and is actually best for long term battery health...

I understand that new owners may have these questions, but old timers like you (and I) should know this stuff by now ! :beyersmile:

Rob: "So what I do when the charger is connected for more than 24 hours, and Hugo 2 is on, is to go into desktop mode. In this mode, the charger supplies current that matches the current needed for Hugo 2, current from the battery is only provided for dynamic current surges, so it's effectively no longer in a charge discharge cycle."

and

"I have put in a desktop mode (charger connected for > 24 hours), so the battery voltage is reduced to 8.0 to 8.2 V for longest possible battery life. And in this mode, the battery is not using up the charge/discharge cycles - so it should last practically indefinitely."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-131#post-13358921

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-264#post-13529190

Mar 8, 2019 at 10:09 PM Post #15,681 of 22,475
That sounds like an interesting idea: The desktop mode is designed in order to maximize the non-desktop (portable) use. I would think about how to design the desktop mode to maximize the H2 life itself, like reducing the heat release without triggering battery charge/discharge cycle when not in use.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 3:07 AM Post #15,682 of 22,475
That sounds like an interesting idea: The desktop mode is designed in order to maximize the non-desktop (portable) use. I would think about how to design the desktop mode to maximize the H2 life itself, like reducing the heat release without triggering battery charge/discharge cycle when not in use.

Desktop mode is optimised to maximise battery life by reducing the charge voltage whilst in desktop mode. To maximise portable use you need to take it out of desktop mode and allow it to fully charge for mobile use.

The other components in H2 will be rated for use at the temperatures in H2 and will already have long life during normal use.

Mar 9, 2019 at 3:25 AM Post #15,683 of 22,475
Because leaving it on 24/7 actually uses lowest battery charge cycles and is actually best for long term battery health...

I understand that new owners may have these questions, but old timers like you (and I) should know this stuff by now ! :beyersmile:

Rob: "So what I do when the charger is connected for more than 24 hours, and Hugo 2 is on, is to go into desktop mode. In this mode, the charger supplies current that matches the current needed for Hugo 2, current from the battery is only provided for dynamic current surges, so it's effectively no longer in a charge discharge cycle."

and

"I have put in a desktop mode (charger connected for > 24 hours), so the battery voltage is reduced to 8.0 to 8.2 V for longest possible battery life. And in this mode, the battery is not using up the charge/discharge cycles - so it should last practically indefinitely."

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-131#post-13358921

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/cho...official-thread.831345/page-264#post-13529190

Thank you for posting this. I've only been around this thread for a month or so and it feels as if desktop mode is the most common topic that comes up. Every time it seems a battle ensues convincing folk, despite the plethora of posts in this thread supporting the idea, that leaving Hugo 2 on 24/7 is optimal over turning off/on in desktop mode.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2019 at 3:28 AM Post #15,684 of 22,475
it feels as if desktop mode is the most common topic that comes up and every time it seems a battle convince folk

No worries.

Feel free to bookmark those posts I linked above from Rob Watts, so that in future, you can also help others with the correct information about what is best for long term battery health, when the question comes up again (and again)...

Mar 10, 2019 at 4:20 AM Post #15,685 of 22,475
It was never just a question as to which option maximises battery life but also which option satisfies the individual and his preferred method of use while in desktop mode. Even though 24/7 operation is optimal for battery life turning on and off in desktop mode comes closely behind. There are many users who do not like to leave their units on 24/7 even if battery performance suffers slightly. There is an argument that the internal components might wear away quicker if hugo 2 is on 24/7. That's another point which needs clarification. Desktop mode is not just about battery life but also practicality and ease of use.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 4:31 AM Post #15,686 of 22,475
There is an argument that the internal other components might wear away quicker if hugo 2 is on 24/7. That's another point which needs clarification.

This is an eternal question with all hifi kit and if you ask 100 people you will get 100 answers. I have hifi which has been on 24/7 for the last 20 + years with no issues and I would be surprised if H2 had any issues with internal components from 24/7 running in desktop mode. I think it comes down to personal preference.

Mar 10, 2019 at 12:54 PM Post #15,687 of 22,475
Portable stax with hugo 2 dac. Amazing kit. Pioneer dap. Looks like a pelican case for the previous enquiry. The clever ones will be formulating the 2go case from now.

46174020_277683169550310_6240298851970662614_n.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2019 at 4:18 PM Post #15,689 of 22,475

Users who are viewing this thread

Back