CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Sep 21, 2023 at 6:27 AM Post #24,691 of 25,901
Hi Guys
I have enjoyed my DAVE for some time, bought new about 4 years ago from a UK dealer. Today, after it was stored for a few months, I hooked it up to my Mac mini M1 and I can't get it to see incoming data via USB. I have tried an older Powerbook laptop as well, and 3 USB cables. It just refuses to see the data input. Also if I set it to DSD instead of PCM+ the 44.1khz panel shows up, but no sound. And if I set back to PCM+ it say no data again.

I have tried DAVE on first before the Mac, and vice versa. no data showing while playing music.

Has anyone experienced this issue?

Sep 21, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #24,692 of 25,901
Hi Guys
I have enjoyed my DAVE for some time, bought new about 4 years ago from a UK dealer. Today, after it was stored for a few months, I hooked it up to my Mac mini M1 and I can't get it to see incoming data via USB. I have tried an older Powerbook laptop as well, and 3 USB cables. It just refuses to see the data input. Also if I set it to DSD instead of PCM+ the 44.1khz panel shows up, but no sound. And if I set back to PCM+ it say no data again.

I have tried DAVE on first before the Mac, and vice versa. no data showing while playing music.

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #24,693 of 25,901
The problems start when homing in on a particular variable, that is getting better than 100ppm.
You should have entered the realm of diminishing returns by now while finalizing the new scaler.. or are you still optimizing?

I hope your will to live ..and listen.. is stronger than ever now that its almost done😁

Sep 21, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #24,694 of 25,901
Hi Guys

Have you tried other non USB inputs?

Sep 23, 2023 at 2:33 AM Post #24,696 of 25,901
You should have entered the realm of diminishing returns by now while finalizing the new scaler.. or are you still optimizing?

I hope your will to live ..and listen.. is stronger than ever now that its almost done😁
I still have a few more things planned to try on the new scaler. The only benefit to waiting for new hardware is you end up trying or thinking about new things.

Absolutely very strong will to improve performance! It's just when you are doing AB listening tests, with very small differences, after about 4 hours you need to stop. Fortunately, it's very rare that my critical AB listening sessions are anything like that long, as the normal process is to try something new with 3 or four options, do the listening test, the best one will stand out like a sore thumb on all the tests. Then I have to go back and do some more FPGA design work, and that can take at least 4 hours, and sometimes many months. If it's a simple coefficient change I can listen next day as I only have to verify the coefficients and that process is fast; but new Verilog coding would mean another cycle of writing the code, then simulating, then checking the digital measurements and that will take days or sometimes many months. Once it's passed thorough simulation tests, (and sometimes analogue measurements) then I can do the listening tests again.

Of course the real fun begins once the new code is ported into my prototypes that I use for regular listening. Then I get to hear how all the very many tiny improvements I have made accumulate into being able to enjoy music more - and that's the real driver.

Sep 23, 2023 at 3:49 AM Post #24,697 of 25,901
I still have a few more things planned to try on the new scaler. The only benefit to waiting for new hardware is you end up trying or thinking about new things.
In essence we customers are better off with the delay ..in Chord policy case at least.. cause once released, the design including digital code gets frozen and any further (code) improvement for us has to wait for a next product.. and that can take almost a decade.

Of course the real fun begins once the new code is ported into my prototypes that I use for regular listening. Then I get to hear how all the very many tiny improvements I have made accumulate into being able to enjoy music more - and that's the real driver.
I cant wait to hear that and join this journey !

Sidenote for @Mojo ideas :
And i speak for many of us when i say i hope John spares us audio peasants depleted bank accounts or lost audiences.

Smaller price margin = more sales = equal profit but with more happy customers and ears on this marvelous product.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 4:40 AM Post #24,698 of 25,901
The only benefit to waiting for new hardware is you end up trying or thinking about new things.
I love that feeling when getting bored while waiting and because of that you get an amazing idea and the boredom swings to pure excitement and enthusiasm.
The search for a device or app that can send audio in advance like the Nvidia Shield was also born in such a moment of boredom. When you have too much time you don‘t take „no / does not work / there is no way“ as an answer anymore and focus on seemingly small problems to solve them and sometimes discover something actually pretty meaningful. Boredom and annoyance are powerful tools if used with the right aim.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2023 at 6:59 PM Post #24,699 of 25,901
It’s sounding amazingly transparent tonight.
Guitars, drums, vocals all separated and can be followed. Picking out lyrics and enjoying the emotions being conveyed by thom.

Mscaler Dave / Ether 2.

Attachments

• F2252376-17BF-4048-9229-386DD6B09536.jpeg
    F2252376-17BF-4048-9229-386DD6B09536.jpeg
    788.2 KB · Views: 0
Sep 23, 2023 at 7:16 PM Post #24,700 of 25,901
With the news that Chord has found supply chains are improved, has this benefited development of Davina too?

Sep 25, 2023 at 1:50 AM Post #24,703 of 25,901
anyone getting a nice lift from DAVE with Farad with DAVE as DAC only? Not Dave amp. I can see how better power effects the amp but used as a dac alone anyone test???
Yeap it can get quite a bit better.
Specially an external amp benefits from a clean LPS like Farad as these cant throw switching noise back into the mains.

Sep 25, 2023 at 2:28 AM Post #24,705 of 25,901

Users who are viewing this thread

Back