CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 30, 2023 at 3:35 AM Post #24,436 of 25,882
The author of that page states "You really want your own ground rod and grounding system for your stereo." I've no idea, but guess noise from other devices in the house could get into the ground circuit.

I suppose you could dig two trenches with two rods—one for the house and one for audio gear.

Of course then you'd have to worry about noise traveling through the dirt between them! :)

What do you think of your Puritan? Does your Puritan come with US power ports? All the photos show round European ones.

muski
Although grounding, read earthing, is mainly created for safety reasons (if for some reason the Live wire get leaked to a metal chassis)..

In audio systems its used to even the voltage potentional between equipments to keep ground currents from flowing through interlinks infecting the audio signal.

Its the reason why in the past equipment was double isolated and had no earth.. but safety laws changed that in the beginning of 2000 and proper grounding became necessary to battle this problem.

I just disconnected my Dave from earth by taking the SMPS out and feed Dave's signal optically with no other copper cables connected but my 'floating' headphone cable.

Here its important that PSU voltage ground wire is not bound to earth bc Dave's metal case is hardwired to its audio ground (RCA, BNC, USB shields)

If you do must earth your equipment.. use a star setup to one point preferably your mains block and prevent loops.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2023 at 4:13 AM Post #24,437 of 25,882
Now im in doubt.. does my Choral scaler design looks better in black or silver 🤔🤩

20230429_174322.jpg

20230430_100213.jpg

Apr 30, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #24,438 of 25,882
Apr 30, 2023 at 5:49 AM Post #24,440 of 25,882
I prefer silver.
Your picture looks incomplete without another Choral case containing a DIY equivalent to the Etude.
I already have my Choral pre amp.

20230430_114505.jpg

Perhaps next up is designing a Choral music server/streamer to replace my PC

Apr 30, 2023 at 9:03 AM Post #24,441 of 25,882
Apr 30, 2023 at 10:23 AM Post #24,443 of 25,882
Do you think you will opt for touchscreen or app control?
I would have both. My thinclient PC's foobar and jriver are controlled with app.. and i use RDP if needed but sometimes its handy having a display.. I would choose a touchscreen type.

More important are all connections being optical and PSU treatment, easy HDD/SSD access and good metal shielding.

I could build in a Optical rendu or SoTM board but i like to be in control using Windows/Linux

It would complete my Dave stack

May 3, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #24,444 of 25,882
Can you all enlighten me on why the Chord's Crossfeed is different/better than other implementations? Anyone have a source of Rob explaining this? Was looking for more of a detailed answer. Thanks.

May 3, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #24,445 of 25,882
Can you all enlighten me on why the Chord's Crossfeed is different/better than other implementations? Anyone have a source of Rob explaining this? Was looking for more of a detailed answer. Thanks.
One thing different i have read vs analog CF is that Rob adds a tiny delay to the opposite's channel being mixed

May 4, 2023 at 3:27 AM Post #24,447 of 25,882
Mathematically, the cross-feed is identical to analogue cross-feed from the 1980s. But the digital implementation is the key here, and doing it perfectly transparently is no simple task - that's why the digital cross-feed on all my designs uniquely run at very high sample rates and uses noise shaping for all the internal nodes.

May 4, 2023 at 4:16 AM Post #24,448 of 25,882
I would only use CF with tracks wherein instruments are 100% seperate fed to each channel and theres no room sound reaching from one mike to the next.

This can only be with recordings where each instrument had its own mike and are electronically sent to one channel.

As soon its a two mike in a room setup and there are natural reflections/reverb.. CF can degrade it, taking the space awareness away.

May 5, 2023 at 3:37 PM Post #24,449 of 25,882
For me Crossfeed has always been headphone and recording dependent

For Hd800: 2-3 (sometimes confusing at 3)
Ultrasone Edition 5: only 1 (super round stage at 1 already)
Utopia: 1-2 (gets too narrow at 3)
DCA Expanse: mostly 3 (with setting 1 the width is too extreme and has low depth, 3 just works)

Set to off only with binaural recordings

Last edited:
May 5, 2023 at 4:11 PM Post #24,450 of 25,882
As soon its a two mike in a room setup and there are natural reflections/reverb.. CF can degrade it, taking the space awareness away
Interesting thought and I get the purity approach although I doubt it because this would mean that you always have a better sense of space with a good headphone than a good speaker (even in a well treated room) as you will always have crossfeed. Don’t get me wrong: I absolutely prefer headphones for music listening as there is less coloration (of the room) and MOAR DETAIL!😎👍🏻
(Any espresso lovers here? It’s the same meme like: grind finer!!!😄)
But when playing games or watching movies with speakers I find it a lot easier to locate sounds (especially distances).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back