CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 27, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #24,406 of 25,909
Does somebody know why this is such a big difference i can imagine when such a big potential electrical differential is eleminated and you gain some dynamics there should be some current going somewere or electrical floating differences… maybe measure between the grounds and see what happens when you ground these devices?

Apr 27, 2023 at 12:08 PM Post #24,407 of 25,909
I would also recommend to try earthing the Dave too, particularly if you use XLR. That will need specific connectors. For instance RCA connectors. I do both rca channels while using XLR for my audio.

Tbh, if you get a block, earth everything you can imo.
Hm.. does the DC4 has its ground lead (in the +5 and +-15v cable) internally connected to its earth? If so i would not earth Dave too creating a loop.

Apr 27, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #24,408 of 25,909
I am listening at the moment in my hotel room with a blu PCB and my Dave. So now I have to drag two units around with me on my travels....

Rob
Lol would he be dragging a xMscaler PCB with him already? 😁

Apr 27, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #24,409 of 25,909
@TheAttorney @alxw0w Ok I hear what you both are hearing. I think I just ignored CF because I felt it shrinked soundstage width and made things congested at times.

Right now using CF2. Seems like a good compromise as TheAttorney mentioned. Vocals are much more realistic and I am able to hear the recording space better. Seems more realistic. I definitely like CF on for older recordings. Still need to test it out for newer recordings. Thanks for leading the blind.
Ok tested out CF with newer recordings. Noticed several things. First off, the diffuse nature of CF 0 is very apparent to me now. I notice that my volume is a lot lower with CF on. With newer recordings I prefer CF1 and CF2 for older recordings. You immediatly gain a sense of precense in the stage. Instruments and voices are clearly formed.

Actually CF2 with newer recordings is a beast with the Envy. Too bassy with my Susvara! (never thought I would say that).

Thank you, @TheAttorney @alxw0w for showing me the way. Music sounds more engaging with CF on. Very happy. Feels like I upgraded something in my chain. :)

740eb4165404507.Y3JvcCwxMTMzLDg4NiwzMzYsNTky.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #24,410 of 25,909
Just ordered the Synergistic Research Ground Block for my DC4s. It comes Monday. We'll see if it makes a difference. I ordered it through Amazon, so if it doesn't, it's an easy return

Apr 28, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #24,411 of 25,909
Actually CF2 with newer recordings is a beast with the Envy. Too bassy with my Susvara! (never thought I would say that).
Just a reminder that there is an increasing small bass boost as a side effect of CF. From memory, it's something like CF1=1.1dB, CF2=1.5dB, CF3=1.9dB, so CF does objectively increase the bass, which I've found beneficial for most headphones, but could be a problem if the headphones are already that way inclined.

It would be helpful if @Rob Watts could provide a FR graph, or at least a better description, to show exactly how that bass boost is applied across the frequency range.

Apr 28, 2023 at 4:31 AM Post #24,412 of 25,909
Hi all, could I ask your personal opinion here... I currently own the Dave, M Scaler, Hugo 2, Mojo 2, and Mojo. Suffice it to say...Chord fanboy :) They won me over! Do you think it is worth owning the Hugo TT2 if I already own the Dave and M Scaler? Is there ever a reason to unplug Dave and go TT2 with or without M Scaler? I know TT2 has a stronger amp, but I am using an external amp regardless. So I guess the question is TT2 Dac Mode offer anything worth having and switching to from the Dave occassionally ? Thank you so much!

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:00 AM Post #24,413 of 25,909
Hi all, could I ask your personal opinion here... I currently own the Dave, M Scaler, Hugo 2, Mojo 2, and Mojo. Suffice it to say...Chord fanboy :) They won me over! Do you think it is worth owning the Hugo TT2 if I already own the Dave and M Scaler? Is there ever a reason to unplug Dave and go TT2 with or without M Scaler? I know TT2 has a stronger amp, but I am using an external amp regardless. So I guess the question is TT2 Dac Mode offer anything worth having and switching to from the Dave occassionally ? Thank you so much!
Using an external amp i wouldnt do it.
Only driven direct to headphones you get a bit warmer tonality and more drive control with TT2.

If you dont mind opening it.. its better to update your Dave's PSU.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:08 AM Post #24,414 of 25,909
Hm.. does the DC4 has its ground lead (in the +5 and +-15v cable) internally connected to its earth? If so i would not earth Dave too creating a loop.
Hi Reactcore, I am not finding any signs of a ground loop. No hum or buzz in my speakers. The musical performance is undoubtably better to my ears. Smoother, greater bass freedom and punch, sounds like a lower noise floor too which is providing greater separation. I would be interested to hear anyone else’s experience. If I remove even just one of these three connections it has a negative impact on the warmth and flow of the music.

All my earthing leads are 4ft to ensure the block is the shortest route to earth the system btw. All components are plugged into my Isotek Sigmas before then going to the house electricity supply. This ensures the block is the shortest road for earthing.

Apr 28, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #24,415 of 25,909
Only driven direct to headphones you get a bit warmer tonality and more drive control with TT2.

Thanks!! Im actually looking at the Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4. Do you know a way of easily connecting and disconnecting it? In case I ever want to go back to orginal or just to A/B easily?

Apr 28, 2023 at 8:00 AM Post #24,416 of 25,909
Thanks!! Im actually looking at the Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC4. Do you know a way of easily connecting and disconnecting it? In case I ever want to go back to orginal or just to A/B easily?
As far as i know Sj connects to Dave's own PCB connector. Same goes for Farad.
So you can easily return to stock.

Apr 28, 2023 at 9:08 AM Post #24,418 of 25,909
Last edited:
Apr 28, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #24,419 of 25,909
Just ordered the Synergistic Research Ground Block for my DC4s. It comes Monday. We'll see if it makes a difference. I ordered it through Amazon, so if it doesn't, it's an easy return
Hmmm, wouldn't a dedicated ground rod be better? I have a Puritan PSM1512 what would be my next course of action? Dedicated Line and grounding rod?

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:01 AM Post #24,420 of 25,909

I agree stock with the Dave and change PSU. @crazyhank

Farad3 is a "cheaper" option. Love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back