CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:02 AM Post #24,421 of 25,909
Apr 28, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #24,422 of 25,909
Hmmm, wouldn't a dedicated ground rod be better? I have a Puritan PSM1512 what would be my next course of action? Dedicated Line and grounding rod?
I have no idea...lol. I never considered grounding before. I'm not even sure it will work, but @DaveRedRef-III has me intrigued. I'm going to see if the grounding block improves anything. I just got the standard one. If it does improve things, I'll upgrade to the active one and/ore better grounding cables. I'll look into the Puritan PSM512. Thanks!

Apr 28, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #24,423 of 25,909
Apr 29, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #24,425 of 25,909
So, I got the grounding block early. It actually does help quite a bit. It sounds like a haze has been removed. Dynamics are better. I used it with both my DAVE and Mscaler DC4s. I'm glad I got it! Thanks for the suggestion @DaveRedRef-III :beerchug:

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #24,426 of 25,909
I just took the grounding block off, listened, and then put it back on and listened again (to compare). There is definitely a haze removed when adding the grounding block. I didn't think it would be possible for things to sound less hazy before, but here we are. Everything sounds even more amazing.

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #24,427 of 25,909
I just took the grounding block off, listened, and then put it back on and listened again (to compare). There is definitely a haze removed when adding the grounding block. I didn't think it would be possible for things to sound less hazy before, but here we are. Everything sounds even more amazing.
Post a picture 😁

Apr 29, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #24,428 of 25,909
Post a picture 😁
It’s really small too

IMG_3617.jpeg

Apr 29, 2023 at 5:48 PM Post #24,429 of 25,909
Thanks for your comments. Very interesting. I've been intrigued by grounding for a while and must give it a go. Long ago I bookmarked a page about building a battery-based 120v clean power source. At the end of the page there are two fascinating paragraphs about grounding:

Your grounding and the noise on the grounds affects the sound mucho. You really want your own ground rod and grounding system for your stereo. You want COMPLETE isolation from your house grounding system. Not one component should be connected to house ground....nada. Ground rods cost nothing and so does some great 4 guage wire running into your stereo room. Then you want the Puritan ground filter to filter any noise on the ground wire.....All your grounding is done right at the Puritan filter or at the Puritan ground filter. It is super important to have a very large gauge wire (like 4 gauge) running from the ground rod to your stereo. My friend just changed his fifty foot long 12 gauge to 4 gauge and everything got better......everything.

You can even bury the ground rod horizontally and is easier to dig. You can also buy carbon based cement (GEM/Ground Enhancement Material) that can be used to lower the impedance of the earth. You dig a trench a little over eight feet ling and six inces deep and six inches wide (not too hard). You pour two inches of the carbon cement in the trough and let it set......you lay your 8 foot long, 5/8" diameter ground rod with ground wire attached on top and then another two inches of cement on top.....when dry you fill the last two inches with dirt.....You can buy Ground rods, brass (lowest resistance....lower than bronze) grounding clamps at any Home Depot or wherever

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Inverter_Power.html

I just like the idea of an audio upgrade that requires using a pick and shovel and mixing cement :)

muski

Apr 29, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #24,431 of 25,909
Thanks for your comments. Very interesting. I've been intrigued by grounding for a while and must give it a go. Long ago I bookmarked a page about building a battery-based 120v clean power source. At the end of the page there are two fascinating paragraphs about grounding:

Your grounding and the noise on the grounds affects the sound mucho. You really want your own ground rod and grounding system for your stereo. You want COMPLETE isolation from your house grounding system. Not one component should be connected to house ground....nada. Ground rods cost nothing and so does some great 4 guage wire running into your stereo room. Then you want the Puritan ground filter to filter any noise on the ground wire.....All your grounding is done right at the Puritan filter or at the Puritan ground filter. It is super important to have a very large gauge wire (like 4 gauge) running from the ground rod to your stereo. My friend just changed his fifty foot long 12 gauge to 4 gauge and everything got better......everything.

You can even bury the ground rod horizontally and is easier to dig. You can also buy carbon based cement (GEM/Ground Enhancement Material) that can be used to lower the impedance of the earth. You dig a trench a little over eight feet ling and six inces deep and six inches wide (not too hard). You pour two inches of the carbon cement in the trough and let it set......you lay your 8 foot long, 5/8" diameter ground rod with ground wire attached on top and then another two inches of cement on top.....when dry you fill the last two inches with dirt.....You can buy Ground rods, brass (lowest resistance....lower than bronze) grounding clamps at any Home Depot or wherever

http://tweakaudio.com/EVS-2/Inverter_Power.html

I just like the idea of an audio upgrade that requires using a pick and shovel and mixing cement :)

muski
wondering if that grounding solution could be routed for the entire house? I have a Puritan and thinking of the logistics of having multiple grounds being routed to separate audio rooms (first and second floor)

Apr 29, 2023 at 8:30 PM Post #24,432 of 25,909
wondering if that grounding solution could be routed for the entire house? I have a Puritan and thinking of the logistics of having multiple grounds being routed to separate audio rooms (first and second floor)
The author of that page states "You really want your own ground rod and grounding system for your stereo." I've no idea, but guess noise from other devices in the house could get into the ground circuit.

I suppose you could dig two trenches with two rods—one for the house and one for audio gear.

Of course then you'd have to worry about noise traveling through the dirt between them! :)

What do you think of your Puritan? Does your Puritan come with US power ports? All the photos show round European ones.

muski

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2023 at 8:35 PM Post #24,433 of 25,909
Apr 29, 2023 at 9:37 PM Post #24,434 of 25,909
The author of that page states "You really want your own ground rod and grounding system for your stereo." I've no idea, but guess noise from other devices in the house could get into the ground circuit.

I suppose you could dig two trenches with two rods—one for the house and one for audio gear.

Of course then you'd have to worry about noise traveling through the dirt between them! :)

What do you think of your Puritan? Does your Puritan come with US power ports? All the photos show round European ones.

muski
Puritan is nice. Takes a couple of weeks to fully burn in. Increases micro detail and helps with decay. Can easily get with US ports.

Apr 29, 2023 at 10:24 PM Post #24,435 of 25,909
Did you think about grounding the DAVE, M Scaler, streamer, etc?

(I'm 100% clueless about grounding)
I’ve thought about it, but I need different grounding cables, as they don’t have dedicated grounding ports like the DC4. I may get them. I need to think on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back