CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 25, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #23,236 of 25,919
Think that's more of a strike on the chain and/or the Farad 3 as I've had excellent playback on the Dave HP out even with the stock psu on it.
I don’t hear the HP out distortion. Was just referring to the measurements. Also Farad3 is amazing ballz

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #23,238 of 25,919
I don’t hear the HP out distortion. Was just referring to the measurements. Also Farad3 is amazing ballz
We need somebody to measure the stock DAVE, the Farad3 Dave, and the Sean Jacobs DAVE, and then compare. We can then finally put to rest the SMPS vs LPS debate. One side claims the LPS are much better with lower distortion and then the other side (and Rob) claim SMPS has lower distortion. Who is right?

Nov 25, 2022 at 12:56 AM Post #23,239 of 25,919
Also, this is the type of sh!t that should be in the DAVE 2. Look at all the capabilities in the Mytek Empire dac. It's crazy:

https://mytek.audio/shop/empire-streamer-dac-1#attr=10

Empire_Streamer_back_panel_IMG_1579_1920pix_wide.jpg

empire-streamer_3D_pdf_view-2021-03-22-1.jpeg

image_1024

It's $25K. I'm pretty interested. No reviews or impressions I can find. It's using off the shelf chipsets, and not a custom FPGA, but it claims the highest dynamic range ever. If this dac sounds very good (DAVE levels or higher), I could get rid of so many boxes.

Nov 25, 2022 at 2:24 AM Post #23,240 of 25,919
@GoldenOne mentioned that Dave in DAC mode shows very low level clipping. This was ameliorated by Reducing digital input level by 1dB.

How does one to this if they use Windows PC, Optical out and exclusive mode on Qobuz?

There should be a headroom management option in qubuz. If not, you can simply reduce the volume a couple clicks in quobuz its self
It's $25K. I'm pretty interested. No reviews or impressions I can find. It's using off the shelf chipsets, and not a custom FPGA, but it claims the highest dynamic range ever. If this dac sounds very good (DAVE levels or higher), I could get rid of so many boxes.
I heard it at canjam with susvara and it was quite impressive. No way to judge actual performance there but it at least made.me.think it was worth keeping on my to demo list

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:12 AM Post #23,241 of 25,919
Also, this is the type of sh!t that should be in the DAVE 2. Look at all the capabilities in the Mytek Empire dac. It's crazy:

image_1024

What would i do with so many analogue inputs.. even 4 phono's?

Im using only one input on my Dave (dbnc) and 2 toslinks on my scaler (music server and tv) all others if connected only makes it more susceptible to RF noise.

I rather have my unit simple as possible

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:18 AM Post #23,242 of 25,919

image_1024

Chord could incorporate many of the Mytek Empire features into the new Choral line xM-scaler, and I really hope they do. Seems like a synergistic match to incorporate a server/streamer solution, LPS, etc.

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #23,244 of 25,919
I don't want to destroy your dreams, unfortunately it won't happen.
New dac will be just dac (also headphone amp) and new xmscaler will be just xmscaller, no additional features like streaming/hdmi or other, sorry.
Do you have inside knowledge?

Nov 25, 2022 at 3:24 AM Post #23,245 of 25,919
What would i do with so many analogue inputs.. even 4 phono's?

Im using only one input on my Dave (dbnc) and 2 toslinks on my scaler (music server and tv) all others if connected only makes it more susceptible to RF noise.

I rather have my unit simple as possible
I'm most interested in the 4 outputs. I currently use the dave xlr output for my wa33 and the dave rca output for my 3es. I want another output if I get an additional amp, or want to use my dac with speakers. It would really help out a lot.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #23,248 of 25,919
No I don't.
But lets be real. Chord ditched full sized streamers some time ago. They only offer streamers for Mojo and Hugo2 which are developed by 3rd party company.
Streaming it's not something that Rob is doing.
Wishful thinking is not doing to change anything.
Yup, and that makes Chord seem like an “old” company, one that doesn’t evolve with the times. Most of Chord’s competitors have streamers and user upgradeable firmware, if not actual modular design where upgrades are easy to install. Chord unfortunately is resting on it’s laurels. The company needs to modernize. I love the sound quality. They are good at that. But they are stuck in the past when it comes to features. It’s unfortunate.

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:05 AM Post #23,249 of 25,919
Yup, and that makes Chord seem like an “old” company, one that doesn’t evolve with the times. Most of Chord’s competitors have streamers and user upgradeable firmware, if not actual modular design where upgrades are easy to install. Chord unfortunately is resting on it’s laurels. The company needs to modernize. I love the sound quality. They are good at that. But they are stuck in the past when it comes to features. It’s unfortunate.
Or you could say they are staying true to their product and not jumping on the “me too” product roadmap.
Putting too many features in one box invariably results in compromises and limits your options to mix and match with other devices.

Nov 25, 2022 at 4:17 AM Post #23,250 of 25,919
I actually like how it is.. Dave ..and my self designed scaler.. for me is a (almost) timeless piece of kit.

All fancy features i search in a player like high resolution screen roon or fast gui i want separately ..controlled with my phone/tablet.

Im using a oldschool thinclient pc running win7 embedded with also oldschool looking foobar2k. Stable as a rock and serves me well for many years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back