CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 8, 2022 at 3:47 AM Post #21,286 of 25,919
Yeah I might go the SRC-DX + Opto-DX + DC Blocks setup to use HQPlayer as well.

Why is DC blocks even needed if one is getting optical isolation with the OptoDX? Just wondering if there is a cheaper optical isolation solution for USB than the OptoDX ... streamline all the boxes.

Also would SRC-DX + Opto-DX + DC perform the same as Toslink and be identical if running 24/192?
Because the Opto dx's optical isolation is compromised the moment you plug in the receiver side into the mains...the only way it works 100% if if you use a battery.
Toslink would actually be better at 24/192 because you get full galvanic isolation, 0 noise. Even on battery the Opto-dx is dependent on the voltage regulator used.
Unfortunately, no matter how low noise Toslink is, the M-scaler is not immune to jitter, so BNC in actually sounded better from this perspective, but worse from the noise standpoint. So pick your poison.
And if you've moved on from the M-scaler, HQP + SRC-DX makes such a big difference than it more than compensates for the noise. Of course, there's no galvanic isolation, which is why the Intona helps. That's the least crazy improvement. The monoprice cable is 10m long and needs another usb a to usb cable and another really good 5v power supply. That + the rest of the stuff I have is already enough to make me buy a streamer/ or Phoenix USB and call it a day.

Jul 8, 2022 at 4:29 AM Post #21,287 of 25,919
First impressions on Farad3 PSU. Amazing... Like a high end analog gear.
This was my immediate impression too. When I first heard the DAVE+ I had a slight panic - the leap forward was so big that I felt I might have just made my vinyl setup redundant. It helped DAVE sound way more analog to my ears. There are important qualities in the vinyl sound that I find missing in digital - it's like something is lost in translation. I've come to the conclusion that what Rob is trying to reconstruct with his algorithms is the timing information that remains intact on vinyl and which is why I've come to prefer vinyl. But the DAVE+ now gets *much* closer to what I want to hear from digital...

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #21,289 of 25,919
This was my immediate impression too. When I first heard the DAVE+ I had a slight panic - the leap forward was so big that I felt I might have just made my vinyl setup redundant. It helped DAVE sound way more analog to my ears. There are important qualities in the vinyl sound that I find missing in digital - it's like something is lost in translation. I've come to the conclusion that what Rob is trying to reconstruct with his algorithms is the timing information that remains intact on vinyl and which is why I've come to prefer vinyl. But the DAVE+ now gets *much* closer to what I want to hear from digital...
It looks like you guys are having fun. Of course I wouldn’t want to spoil it by letting you hear what Dave+++ sounds like with the latest iteration of the DC4/ARC6 power supply. 😜 😀

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:50 AM Post #21,290 of 25,919
It looks like you guys are having fun. Of course I wouldn’t want to spoil it by letting you hear what Dave+++ sounds like with the latest iteration of the DC4/ARC6 power supply. 😜 😀
I have no doubt, but as I cannot physically accommodate the Sean Jacobs I must resist the temptation to ever hear it! :sweat:

Jul 8, 2022 at 6:59 AM Post #21,291 of 25,919
As that popular Madness song goes....
🎶 One Step Beyond..... 🎶

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:46 AM Post #21,293 of 25,919
You're almost making me curious. Did you use any power conditioner before?
Never used power conditioner. Using zero surge non sacrificial surge protector only

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:52 AM Post #21,294 of 25,919
I can’t imagine hehe. I’m very curious on hearing feedback between the Farad3 and dc4/arc6.

Jul 8, 2022 at 7:53 AM Post #21,295 of 25,919
doeas the farad need any fancy integration / case opening?
You will need to open the case and replace stock power supply. It’s plug and play not difficult

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:13 AM Post #21,297 of 25,919
Three small power supplies farad super3 look at the farad website its all explained and the install manual is somewere back on this thread.

Jul 8, 2022 at 8:35 AM Post #21,299 of 25,919
I can’t imagine hehe. I’m very curious on hearing feedback between the Farad3 and dc4/arc6.
Like I have said, I have only so far compared the Farad Super3 to the DC4 powering a Qutest. There was a gulf between them and since then the DC4 has been upgraded to the ARC6 with another gulf opening up between the DC4 and the ARC6. A few weeks ago I received a request to evaluate a further upgrade to the ARC6 and a friend has described that as being the biggest single upgrade he has heard in my system.

So, indeed it would be fun to have them both side by side one day.. There a few Farads in the UK now so hopefully the lure of Colston Bassett Stilton Cheese (made 1/2 mile from me) will be sufficient temptation to prompt one of us to get in the car and have a go . . . .

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #21,300 of 25,919
Like I have said, I have only so far compared the Farad Super3 to the DC4 powering a Qutest. There was a gulf between them and since then the DC4 has been upgraded to the ARC6 with another gulf opening up between the DC4 and the ARC6. A few weeks ago I received a request to evaluate a further upgrade to the ARC6 and a friend has described that as being the biggest single upgrade he has heard in my system.

So, indeed it would be fun to have them both side by side one day.. There a few Farads in the UK now so hopefully the lure of Colston Bassett Stilton Cheese (made 1/2 mile from me) will be sufficient temptation to prompt one of us to get in the car and have a go . . . .
I don’t doubt the DC4/ARC6 is probably better. But I don’t feel like spending that money at this time. I do wonder what the gulf is between those 2. 20-50%? Hehe. Happy with Farad3 for now which I found a bigger upgrade than the Mscaler to my ears.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back