CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 8, 2022 at 9:04 AM Post #21,301 of 25,821
Like I have said, I have only so far compared the Farad Super3 to the DC4 powering a Qutest. There was a gulf between them and since then the DC4 has been upgraded to the ARC6 with another gulf opening up between the DC4 and the ARC6. A few weeks ago I received a request to evaluate a further upgrade to the ARC6 and a friend has described that as being the biggest single upgrade he has heard in my system.

So, indeed it would be fun to have them both side by side one day.. There a few Farads in the UK now so hopefully the lure of Colston Bassett Stilton Cheese (made 1/2 mile from me) will be sufficient temptation to prompt one of us to get in the car and have a go . . . .
I don’t doubt the DC4/ARC6 is probably better. But I don’t feel like spending that money at this time. I do wonder what the gulf is between those 2. 20-50%? Hehe. Happy with Farad3 for now which I found a bigger upgrade than the Mscaler to my ears.

Jul 8, 2022 at 9:29 AM Post #21,302 of 25,821
You will need to open the case and replace stock power supply. It’s plug and play not difficult
I have the gigawatts in my powerbox and removed the earth leak breaker that seems to do alot of harm.

Had the same experience here lps was bigger improvement than scaler. More musical more analogue experience. Fatigue and effortless.

Also dont ask me how but by using differen components, wires and the way you build the layout of a lps you can color or not color the sound. My experience is that farad is neutral and does not color. I know mattijs also with his new super10 lps does everything blindtested by a group of people he has. So eg. The dc4 arc etc and farad can also differ in sound color. So it could also be a designers choice. I think in the end its a matter of synergy choice and prefference. I doubt if its alot better at this level. Could be but future will tell.

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #21,303 of 25,821
Just seeing if anyone is selling src-dx? Thanks

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:24 AM Post #21,305 of 25,821
Jul 8, 2022 at 10:37 AM Post #21,306 of 25,821
Oh thats why it seemed. Cheaper. Will just buy from them. Thanks. :)
I'd suggest also trying the Dc blocks. They're actually just rebranded from a US lab equipment manufacturer though. Not sure if they made any other changes, but the pricing is similar.

Jul 8, 2022 at 10:52 AM Post #21,307 of 25,821
I'd suggest also trying the Dc blocks. They're actually just rebranded from a US lab equipment manufacturer though. Not sure if they made any other changes, but the pricing is similar.
Yes. Going SRC-DX, OPTO-DX, DC Block with HQPlayer.

Wondering if I should get a LPS for the optodx?

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:00 AM Post #21,308 of 25,821

Dan's recommendation is to use a battery on at least the Receiver side, and a LPS on the Transmiter side. Or 2 batteries. Honestly, I don't think the Opto-dx is worth the hassle if you have a good source. 6 cables, 2 psus and 2 boxes that still don't work properly without at least one battery. I'd rather just wait for the Ifi Zen Neo streamer which will have NAA + 768 hz and maybe get a Farad for that instead of that whole mess. It will most likely cost as much as the Opto-dx.
Also, while the Farad is the best lpsu i've tested, it still benefited from my mains filter...so there's that.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #21,310 of 25,821
So eg. The dc4 arc etc and farad can also differ in sound color. So it could also be a designers choice. I think in the end its a matter of synergy choice and prefference. I doubt if its alot better at this level. Could be but future will tell.
I'm guessing I am about the only person here who has heard the difference between the DC4 and Farad LPS powering a DAC albeit that it was a Qutest but I can assure you that there was a significant difference to my ears. It was certainly not a matter of differences in colour but if you imagine what you are hearing with the Farad + Dave then I heard the same sort of thing but much more of it when changing to the DC4 from the Farad.

For instance if bass is tight and deep with one then there is always room for it to be deeper and tighter with another. I used to think the way that an acoustic guitar note was plucked was divine with say one of the power supplies and then I heard a better one and realised there is always better, sometimes significantly better even if prior to hearing it cannot be imagined in isolation.

I have also heard this when going from the DC4 to the ARC6. It was not a matter of the colour changing but rather that everything was better. Also I have heard the differences when say keeping the analogue rails supplied by 2x DC4 and then just changing the 5V digital rail to ARC6 specification. That was a big surprise. It has been the same with the Mscaler and how much better that got each time I changed from Dc3 to Dc4 and then to ARC6 and I sort of wonder whether your disenchantment with the Mscaler had anything to do with the Farad supply to it. My ARC6 Mscaler is still a joy in my ARC6 Dave system and whenever I have taken it out it is always a delight to put the Mscaler back in the system.

Anyway, just musings.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:16 AM Post #21,311 of 25,821

Well you are going at a million miles an hour again!! Think about the bigger picture. The SRC.DX is great but it gets even better if it is fed a better USB signal and also if the USB 5V rail is really clean. So hence why I use the PhoenixUSB to connect to the SRC.DX.

The Opto.DX is a clever idea and works well with many people but it is a real commitment to get it optimised in terms of the power to each side and in terms of getting the right result with the BNC cables both before the Opto and between the Opto.DX and the DAC. Also, I agree with @801evan that PowerBanks are not good performers in my experience but others might have had a better time than me.

Try the DC Blocks. When they are needed they work well but not all systems need them. I heard no difference with them in or out.

Have you settled on a source yet?

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:22 AM Post #21,312 of 25,821
I can understand indeed these improvemenst are incremental. But i guess you are at a 20k powersupply system if i all add them up. I just cant take that route. Hope when farad has his super10 finished, also a 3k lps per piece to see what that will being as improvement. That would be a fairer comperisment. But we have to judge it also with our wallet not only the ears and this is already a huge step up and utterly safe thats also a reason for some people.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:25 AM Post #21,313 of 25,821
You all do realize Linn Klimax Organik is only $40k and Rossini (Apex) is a mere $30k, correct?

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 11:31 AM Post #21,314 of 25,821
You all do realize Linn Klimax Organik is only $40k and Rossini (Apex) is a mere $30k, correct?
HAHA. Love it :) I actually do, which is why I didn't go for a custom psu yet. But the Lina will have to wow me. Rossini's too big for my tastes, and from what i've heard Bartok 2.0 is 90% of the Rossini (Non-apex) , so i expected that's where the Lina will be in a year or 2. Rossini owners really got their panties in a bunch after the upgrade.

Jul 8, 2022 at 11:33 AM Post #21,315 of 25,821
A few weeks ago I received a request to evaluate a further upgrade to the ARC6 and a friend has described that as being the biggest single upgrade he has heard in my system.
So what is this mysterious further upgrade to ARC6? As much as you can say at this point.
Is it something that fits inside DAVE in the space of the old p/s and does it look horribly expensive?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back