CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 7, 2022 at 4:33 PM Post #21,272 of 25,885
I definitely agree that Chord's USB implementation at least, is terrible. Which is why the SRC-DX is borderline magical. Yes, that's the reason why I went down the USB path though, is due to it being the only format that allows me to output up-sampled 24 bit 768 khz data to the SRC-DX.
Upsampling+ noise reduction is the only "cure" I've found for the compression you're describing. I was close to getting the Innuos, but I'm very skeptical that what it does so well is due to re-clocking. USB audio just doesn't work like SPDIF. Any improvements people hear are most likely due to the clean power provided by the Phoenix. Even if it did somehow matter, the SRC-DX's clock would override that when converting USB to dual SPDIF.
Add to that Dave's very high jitter resistance, and the Intona USB isolator + mains filter makes more sense. I've also tried SOTM TX Ultra USB + Farad LPSU our of the same conditioner in front of the SRC-DX, and frankly all it did was add noise. It sounded much worse, which is why I now prefer a chain with as few PSU's as possible, so I've given up on auditioning the Phoenix. I believe @edwardsean can offer a counter-argument here though.
I realize having a PC in your system might not work for everyone, which is why paying a premium for a tidy solution like the Grimm, or another up-sampling streamer might make sense. The Grimm seems overpriced and underpowered Imo, but they were first out the gate, so that counts for something. This is clearly the direction the industry is going, however I would wait for more capable solutions.
Why I would prefer the Lumin (besides being 5x cheaper, though that's their entry level offering) is due to it being able to support much higher sampling rates. I wouldn't be surprised if it could beat the Grimm in combination with an SRC-DX. This of course depends on the quality of the up-sampling algorithms used by each, but I'm definitely auditioning one as soon as possible.
Chord isn't the only game in town anymore, and using HQP confirmed that the software is what makes most of the difference(for good or bad), not our fiddling around.
Hmmm so you are using the Intona USB Isolator? 2.0 or 3.0? SRC-DX and DC Blocks using dual BNC? Have you compared this to toslink? Thanks.

Jul 7, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #21,273 of 25,885
Are there any USB Dave users? if so, anyone use USB Isolators as well or just relying on Dave's galvanically isolated USB implementation ...

Edit: Why get the SRC-DX + OptoDX + DC Blocks if someone can use USB + Optically Isolated device?

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #21,274 of 25,885
Hmmm so you are using the Intona USB Isolator? 2.0 or 3.0? SRC-DX and DC Blocks using dual BNC? Have you compared this to toslink? Thanks.
Well I preferred Toslink when I was using the M-scaler, because I was using it on a battery and I could isolate it from the mains completely that way. Even so, it generated more noise than my gaming pc via usb, which is why I got rid of it. Since iI can't stand Dave anymore without HQP i have to use USB for the full 24 bits 768 khz. Otherwise I'd still be using optical out of the gaming pc, which sounded identical to optical out of the streamer btw. I did think there was a difference initially, but it turned out to be a faulty optical cable.
I've had the Intona 3.0 for about a week or so. Setup was mains filter->gaming pc->jitterbug->Intona->src-dx->dc-blocks-Dave. Since they all seem to filter different frequencies, every little thing helped, including the Jitterbug. Which kind of pissed me off and made me return the Intona and place an order for the Opto-dx (Plus a complicated power plan for it). In the end I got fed up with the insanity and cancelled that order as well.
I've decided to focus on adding an amp for now, as that made more difference than most of this tinkering.

Jul 7, 2022 at 5:37 PM Post #21,276 of 25,885
Definitely don't use USB without SRC-DX. The USB input is clearly the worst.
Yeah I might go the SRC-DX + Opto-DX + DC Blocks setup to use HQPlayer as well.

Why is DC blocks even needed if one is getting optical isolation with the OptoDX? Just wondering if there is a cheaper optical isolation solution for USB than the OptoDX ... streamline all the boxes.

Also would SRC-DX + Opto-DX + DC perform the same as Toslink and be identical if running 24/192?

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:14 PM Post #21,277 of 25,885
Will see if I do this install today or tomorrow. Burnt out today so we shall see.

Attachments

• IMG-0395.jpg
    IMG-0395.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #21,278 of 25,885
OK.... you all convinced me.... unfortunately all Kettle Leads are being actively used in the rooms so I'll have to go in to the loft tomorrow and locate my bag of 'shizzle' and grab a few.... if I can gain access without breaking my neck and then if I can actually find it 🙃
Did you do the install yet? Thoughts?

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:48 PM Post #21,279 of 25,885
Did you do the install yet? Thoughts?
No. Not yet. Totally exhausted during this week. I've now received my 3 Farad Power Cables which arrived within two days! This Saturday is my Birthday so I may sit down in the late afternoon for some quiet Birthday time installation. 🤓

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:04 PM Post #21,280 of 25,885
Yeah I might go the SRC-DX + Opto-DX + DC Blocks setup to use HQPlayer as well.

Why is DC blocks even needed if one is getting optical isolation with the OptoDX? Just wondering if there is a cheaper optical isolation solution for USB than the OptoDX ... streamline all the boxes.

Also would SRC-DX + Opto-DX + DC perform the same as Toslink and be identical if running 24/192?
A slimrun optical usb using a separate 5v power source should isolate DAVE from a USB source if that is the desired approach. That said, adding a SRC-DX with the slimrun should provide DAVE with isolation and dual BNC input to avoid the USB input of the DAVE. That’s my plan in the coming days, just to try a new approach with HQPlayer.

Jul 7, 2022 at 8:52 PM Post #21,281 of 25,885
No. Not yet. Totally exhausted during this week. I've now received my 3 Farad Power Cables which arrived within two days! This Saturday is my Birthday so I may sit down in the late afternoon for some quiet Birthday time installation. 🤓
Happy early birthday :)

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:57 PM Post #21,282 of 25,885
I just finished the Farad3 install. Pretty easy.

First impressions on Farad3 PSU. Amazing. I agree with the assessment of calling it a Dave+. I would say 50% performance delta. First thing I heard was smoothness with added clarity. Like a high end analog gear. Music comes out of a black hole. I am now a firm believer of clean, good power.

Now time to clean up my source from RF noise and I'm in audio nirvana. :)

Attachments

• IMG_0397.JPEG
    IMG_0397.JPEG
    620.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0398.JPEG
    IMG_0398.JPEG
    796.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0399.JPEG
    IMG_0399.JPEG
    787.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0400.JPEG
    IMG_0400.JPEG
    889.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0401.JPEG
    IMG_0401.JPEG
    827.4 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0402.JPEG
    IMG_0402.JPEG
    814.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0403.JPEG
    IMG_0403.JPEG
    773.5 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0404.JPEG
    IMG_0404.JPEG
    721.9 KB · Views: 0
Jul 7, 2022 at 11:08 PM Post #21,283 of 25,885
A slimrun optical usb using a separate 5v power source should isolate DAVE from a USB source if that is the desired approach. That said, adding a SRC-DX with the slimrun should provide DAVE with isolation and dual BNC input to avoid the USB input of the DAVE. That’s my plan in the coming days, just to try a new approach with HQPlayer.
Slim run helps. Thats been my setup for years but it still leaves Dave underwhelming for me. Slim run + Src dx with sorbothanes is a huge step up.

Jul 7, 2022 at 11:43 PM Post #21,284 of 25,885
I just finished the Farad3 install. Pretty easy. First impressions on Farad3 PSU. Amazing. I agree with the assessment of calling it a Dave+. I would say 50% performance delta. First thing I heard was smoothness with added clarity.

Enjoy the music👍🏻

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2022 at 2:22 AM Post #21,285 of 25,885
I just finished the Farad3 install. Pretty easy.

First impressions on Farad3 PSU. Amazing. I agree with the assessment of calling it a Dave+. I would say 50% performance delta. First thing I heard was smoothness with added clarity. Like a high end analog gear. Music comes out of a black hole. I am now a firm believer of clean, good power.

Now time to clean up my source from RF noise and I'm in audio nirvana. :)
You're almost making me curious. Did you use any power conditioner before?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back