CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jul 6, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #21,241 of 25,860
But blanket statements like this without any basis in reality are exactly what @ra990 's was talking about.
I get it, you like direct Dave. I do too. I just find it lacking in several areas compared to any decent headphone amp

Well proof in the pudding is you complaining about Dave's 'poor HP out' while I think it's ace. We're talking about the same dac and HP so logically it means it's the other stuff in the chain that's contributing to a better sound from Dave's HP out.

Jul 6, 2022 at 11:27 PM Post #21,242 of 25,860
actually the dave HP out is IMHO excellent given efficient HP's

Jul 7, 2022 at 12:36 AM Post #21,244 of 25,860
look, you like the susvara with the dave...good for you already...99% of the rest here do not...now can you move on

Jul 7, 2022 at 4:48 AM Post #21,246 of 25,860
The direction of topic reminds me of a absolutely scathingly review must be something like 10 years ago of the Beyerdynanic T1.

It turned out the reviewer was listening to MP3 files with the T1 plugged into a first gen iPhone.
Wow. That's like testing an M-Scaler using one cable into a Topping. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Jul 7, 2022 at 6:35 AM Post #21,248 of 25,860
Well proof in the pudding is you complaining about Dave's 'poor HP out' while I think it's ace. We're talking about the same dac and HP so logically it means it's the other stuff in the chain that's contributing to a better sound from Dave's HP out.
Your reasoning is overly simplistic and as been proven wrong over and over. The easier explanation is that you haven't actually heard what we are discussing. You seem to like going around in circles, but I don't have the time or the patience, as amusing as it is to see someone so wrong being so adamant about his views.
Maybe actually listen to some headphone amps , stop inducing distortion via HQP, learn how to actually use it before judging it, and then re-evaluate. It's funny that Rob sad other companies are adding distortion, and Dave is the absolute truth, yet here you are, objectively using headphones and software wrong just to get the sound you want out of it.
I mean my god, Dan Clark himself said he wouldn't use his Stealth with the Dave but you clearly know better :upside_down:

Jul 7, 2022 at 7:23 AM Post #21,249 of 25,860
If DC produces an open back version of the Stealth I would be minded to give it a try.
I am also a bit worried that it may sound too "closed in and not expansive enough. But that will not stop me from auditioning it.
I was not overly impressed by Dan Clark´s earlier closed back headphones, but I quite liked his open back electrostatic ones when I met him in Singapore a few years ago at Canjam. Cheers CC

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 9:27 AM Post #21,250 of 25,860
that post was interesting, but the complete opposite to my own experience. Without fail, the cheap plastic ‘free’ type toslink cable always supported 192 on my Dave, and hms with no issues, rock solid. Where as my aq diamond and qed reference, both glass, precision polished etc, would only ever support 96. I have a background in fibre optics but I am struggling to explain why the ‘superior’ cables behaved like this.
It seems that the optical transmitter is the source of problems:

IMG_6887 cropped.jpg

this is what it should look like:

IMG_6889 cropped.jpg

Both images are made from the far end of a Sysconcept optical fibre. You can see the individual fibres bundled together to make the overall fibre :)

So when you have data rate problems it's probably because the effective "power" of the transmitter is misaligned, so a lot of the light is not even entering the fibre. The Sysconcept cable exacerbates the problem with its multiple-strands, as each strand must be provided with correctly aligned light by the transmitter.

So in a scenario such as this, 192KHz is fine with a cheap optical cable (6m), but "impossible" with the Sysconcept (1m).

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:30 AM Post #21,251 of 25,860
With that said, I didn't have the HMS 1.5ft away from the Dave. I had it on a second shelf just above and offset from the Dave (so not directly above)
Terrible mistake to make.

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:33 AM Post #21,252 of 25,860
It seems that the optical transmitter is the source of problems:

IMG_6887 cropped.jpg

this is what it should look like:

IMG_6889 cropped.jpg

Both images are made from the far end of a Sysconcept optical fibre. You can see the individual fibres bundled together to make the overall fibre :)

So when you have data rate problems it's probably because the effective "power" of the transmitter is misaligned, so a lot of the light is not even entering the fibre. The Sysconcept cable exacerbates the problem with its multiple-strands, as each strand must be provided with correctly aligned light by the transmitter.

So in a scenario such as this, 192KHz is fine with a cheap optical cable (6m), but "impossible" with the Sysconcept (1m).
Yes my Sysconcept did not support 24/192 into Dave. :/

Jul 7, 2022 at 9:54 AM Post #21,253 of 25,860
The Sysconcept cable exacerbates the problem with its multiple-strands, as each strand must be provided with correctly aligned light by the transmitter.
I don't have issues with Sysconcept, even with 192khz. The photos on the first is just the bend is too strong on one of the ends. To lessen the issue it to just lessen the bend radius..

Jul 7, 2022 at 10:08 AM Post #21,254 of 25,860
I got a few questions for you guys:
1. How much time does it take to burn in the Dave? I got some info that it takes about 150 to 200 hours. Is that true? I sent the review unit back and got the new one I ordered and It doesn't sound like the review unit yet.
2. What is the best input to use with the Dave? I've tried USB, AES and BNC so far (Siltech Classic Legend and Charlin Star). I think BNC sounds best so far. Any recommendations for BNC cables? I have a Matrix SPDIF-X DDC but it does not have a BNC out but I can use a BNC to RCA adapter. Have you guys tried this and have you noticed a degradation in sq because of the adapter?
3. Besides the M Scaler, is there any other DDC that outputs BNC or dual BNC?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2022 at 10:50 AM Post #21,255 of 25,860
After a week constantly on i could not hear a difference anymore. And it is minute between new and a few weeks. I now use optical in gives me a slight more neutral sound than bnc. Before i had the twin wave cables but that is no compare because mscaler was in between.

So in a nutshell a few days and optical for me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back