CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #18,676 of 25,896
How is distortion in MQA lower? It been proven to be lossy.
Lossy in data, which simply means it's not for archival purposes. But it's lossless up to 48khz and lossy above that. But as I've been saying, distortion loves distortion so that's why people are more inclined to think it's horse shakes because they expect it to be a silver bullet. Once you get to a certain level of power quality, mqa will be superior. Astrud Gilberto MQA is better than it's Hi-Res 192khz counterpart in the Dave in my tests. DC4 owners may want to test this through mconnect or Bubbleupnp.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:17 PM Post #18,677 of 25,896
Sorry but i have to tell u the next secret, you have to start using MQA. Let the streamer do the first unfold (NOT ROON! Mconnect or Bubbleupnp hopefully). And the lower distortion in MQA will give more of the midbass the Susvara needs and you'll be in a newer chapter in your life on the same day.
Oh no, are you also for MQA? Now you've really done it...get ready...:popcorn:

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:19 PM Post #18,678 of 25,896
I'm not sure the line conditioner is doing that though, but I don't know. I need to do some more experimenting...
Well you can tell us about the difference the DC4 made considering you already had the Sigmas. For me, the Aquarius makes the bass A LOT deeper and harder hitting, adds depth, better definition and smooths the highs.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #18,680 of 25,896
Well you already have the TT2 so that all applies to you anyway. I almost bought the Bartok before Dave because of this, and i still consider getting a one box solution sometimes. Dave isn't the issue though, the M-scaler is. Hopefully the new one will fix these issues.
I wouldn't hesitate if i were you. I'd take solo Dave in stock form over mTT2 any day, and i don't really miss the M-scaler too much when travelling without it.
Not quite, the problem of RF is much easier to deal with on the mTT2. I am running both off quality LG batteries and my input is TOSlink, so I'm completely eliminating any RF from even entering the system. A few batteries set me back about $200, that's nothing in comparison with WAVE BNC cables or DC4 power supply.

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:30 PM Post #18,681 of 25,896
"Oh no, are you also for MQA? Now you've really done it...get ready...:popcorn:"

Imagine ciggavelli is starting to hear what I hear. And I did a whole round of:
192khz hi-res vs mqa vs pggb 768 vs pggb 384 vs HQplayer offline render 768 vs HQplayer offline render 384

Mqa came out on top. 192khz was second.

I wouldn't touch pggb or HQplayer. It makes the soundstage flat, shifted timbre, destroyed imaging. It's a bandaid for r2r NOS lovers.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 2:31 PM Post #18,682 of 25,896
Each time I consider upgrading to the DAVE, all this talk of over the top BNC cables and power supplies turns me off.
Neither are needed to really enjoy the Dave. The Dave is great on its own accord. If you wanted to add those items later on you can. There are plenty of Dave owners who don't have a DC4. A quality set of BNC cables, maybe. I enjoyed the stock Dave for months before getting a different set of BNC cables. The changes are incremental at best. Don't let the talk about aftermart cables and mods stop you from owning one of the best DAC's ever created. Just remember DAC first, everything that comes afterwards is subjective :)

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #18,683 of 25,896
Not quite, the problem of RF is much easier to deal with on the mTT2. I am running both off quality LG batteries and my input is TOSlink, so I'm completely eliminating any RF from even entering the system. A few batteries set me back about $200, that's nothing in comparison with WAVE BNC cables or DC4 power supply.
I'm also running my M-scaler off a battery + optical from the streamer. Dave really is something else though, in stock form. Completely agree with @Slim1970 .

Jan 5, 2022 at 2:34 PM Post #18,684 of 25,896
You can also get an OPTO DX optical system and run it off DC battery packs. It's what I use

Jan 5, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #18,687 of 25,896
So, I tried my TCs out of my DAVE with the DC4. Oh my, the DAVE actually drives them very well now with the new PSU. I had no idea that the DC4 power supply made the headphone output in the front much stronger. The DAVE is now going to be my go to solid state. I'm kinda floored that this has happened :astonished:
I had the same experience a few weeks ago trying the Abyss directly from DAVE versus the HPA4 which I then sold. When I didn't have the Scaler, the Abyss straight from DAVE had little control over the low frequencies.
Now I like it and it sounds pretty identical to how it felt with HPA4. I think it is more the Scaler that brought about this improvement. :thinking:

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #18,689 of 25,896
Rob, very good advice (I was going to say very sound advice but I could already hear the groans from the cheap seats).

However it might be my default setting of always looking for humour if it was intended by the poster but my guess is that @adrianm had his tongue very firmly in his cheek when he referred to an anemic 100dB. I hope so anyway!
different amps at 80db sound completely different...pretty much any amp can drive a HP to 80db so that really means nothing just as any car can get to 120 mph

Jan 5, 2022 at 8:06 PM Post #18,690 of 25,896
To be clear though, the DC4 is a massive power upgrade for your DAVE, and I'm not sure if other power supplies will offer similiar benefits, but who knows
the dc4 is a big expense as well is it not?...I am sure it makes a big difference my powerman made a huge difference when added to my formula s

Users who are viewing this thread

Back