CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:11 PM Post #18,706 of 25,902
The Phoenix > SRC-DX > dual BNC chain is extraordinary. Either piece on its own is a significant upgrade. The two combined provide their individual benefits, but also supplies Sean Jacobs power to the SRC-DX via the PS in the Phoenix.

Some will not want to hear this, esp. this next part: the SQ scales up with better BNC cables. I started out with some good Nordost cables to test out the configuration. Once I confirmed the improvements, I moved to HFC CT2s and netted a few more notches of SQ.

I understand the pushback from all of this because of the expense and complex technical factors beyond "common sense." However, at one level, it is quite simple. Everything counts, from major components to little fuses to lines of code. And–everything–can be upgraded. But–nothing–has to be upgraded. The beauty of this is everyone can calibrate for themselves a custom level of investment vs. SQ.
That is correct. I'm doing 40x lt3045s USB chain vs the Innous Phoenix 2x lt3045. I got the SRC dx and while it improved over the USB input. I was still somewhat underwhelmed. (You heard it here folks...) But the game changer was putting 3x sorbothanes on the src dx and the blacks just became Vantablack. Silly and stupid but whatever. Imagine 5 usd dampeners being the last piece of the puzzle. Everything else has sorbothanes but the src dx and it still have a grey presentation until I put sorbothanes on it. And I've been using 17awg silver occ bnc cables with silver bnc plugs.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 10:23 PM Post #18,707 of 25,902
3x sorbothanes on the src d - not sure I get what this. Can you elaborate please.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:52 PM Post #18,709 of 25,902
I understand the pushback from all of this because of the expense and complex technical factors beyond "common sense."
Yepp. They ask for proof too. I'm not interested in convincing skeptics. In this hobby, only skeptics lose out....well, also people who believes too much on measurements and weak sauce 'proof' by influencers and YT personalities also lose out, ironically.

Jan 5, 2022 at 10:54 PM Post #18,710 of 25,902
If somebody was to ask me to choose between an $8K standard edition WA33 or an around $8K DC4 for their DAVE, I’m not sure what I would recommend, and I loved my old standard edition WA33. I think the Elite is a bigger jump, but then again it costs double.

What a crazy audio day today :upside_down:

@801evan your claims (that I thought were previously absurd) made me try out the headphone output on my DAVE. And for that I thank you :beerchug:

I was doing some searching, and it appears most DC4 owners use their DAVE in a 2 channel setup. I’m thinking most people are just as unaware as I was about how much power the DC4 brings to the front headphone output. Sean Jacobs needs to make it a marketing statement on his website…lol.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:07 PM Post #18,711 of 25,902
If somebody was to ask me to choose between an $8K standard edition WA33 or an around $8K DC4 for their DAVE, I’m not sure what I would recommend, and I loved my old standard edition WA33. I think the Elite is a bigger jump, but then again it costs double.

What a crazy audio day today :upside_down:

@801evan your claims (that I thought were previously absurd) made me try out the headphone output on my DAVE. And for that I thank you :beerchug:

I was doing some searching, and it appears most DC4 owners use their DAVE in a 2 channel setup. I’m thinking most people are just as unaware as I was about how much power the DC4 brings to the front headphone output. Sean Jacobs needs to make it a marketing statement on his website…lol.
Yea.... Ummm. I will tell you I slept like a baby after you said you couldn't drive the TC and Sus and you have the DC4 + Phoenixbecause I thought I hit gold with my chain. And now this... Haha.

But I'm happy I have a comrade in this hobby of being able to experience the best combination of the shortest path from the Dave, exploiting the headphone out stage of the Dave with our power solution to enjoy and understand Watt's life project.

And as I said in the last two post, I was still underwhelmed using the USB input. So look forward to more gains with the spdif input route.

As I said in the Stealth thread, I'm patiently waiting for more people to wake up to what I've been saying in the following months when more people adopt the m17. And that reply was directed at you too I think. I didn't expect the first person to fold was you as well and in just 48 hours. 🤣🤣

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:28 PM Post #18,712 of 25,902
I've been listening to my TCs out of my DC4 Dave for much of this evening
A good way to benchmark actually, since we are remote, eventually the Susvara will surpass the TC. Comparatively the out of phase response of the TC will be more apparent and the lower end will be more distorted than the Susvara. The Susvara has a smoother response and lower distortion and this becomes perceptually apparent as you move up in quality. When you have achieved this, you're ready for the Stealth. Also to add more to the confusion, I eventually like the LCD4 over the Susvara on the latest round of upgrades, which involves turning off all phones and wifi. One phone on causes enough interference to make the lcd4 peaky and lose out to the other 3 TOTL headphones. With all phones and wifi off, the LCD4 is smoother than the Susvara (with one phone on) and has more midbass. Although the 2-4khz dip is more apparent so female vocal peaks lives a bit lower, but more intelligible and relaxing.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2022 at 11:33 PM Post #18,713 of 25,902
Also to add more to the confusion, I eventually like the LCD4 over the Susvara on the latest round of upgrades, which involves turning off all phones and wifi. One phone on causes enough interference to make the lcd4 peaky and lose out to the other 3 TOTL headphones. With all phones and wifi off, the LCD4 is smoother than the Susvara and has more midbass.
Make sure the wife and kids are asleep too, that helps keep the noise floor down.

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:45 PM Post #18,715 of 25,902
A good way to benchmark actually, since we are remote, eventually the Susvara will surpass the TC. Comparatively the out of phase response of the TC will be more apparent and the lower end will be more distorted than the Susvara. The Susvara has a smoother response and lower distortion and this becomes perceptually apparent as you move up in quality. When you have achieved this, you're ready for the Stealth. Also to add more to the confusion, I eventually like the LCD4 over the Susvara on the latest round of upgrades, which involves turning off all phones and wifi. One phone on causes enough interference to make the lcd4 peaky and lose out to the other 3 TOTL headphones. With all phones and wifi off, the LCD4 is smoother than the Susvara (with one phone on) and has more midbass. Although the 2-4khz dip is more apparent so female vocal peaks lives a bit lower, but more intelligible and relaxing.
Your suggestions sound so absurd…lol. But, after the DC4 revelation today, I’m open to crazy ideas. More tweaking and experimenting tomorrow :L3000:

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:50 PM Post #18,716 of 25,902
Your suggestions sound so absurd…lol. But, after the DC4 revelation today, I’m open to crazy ideas. More tweaking and experimenting tomorrow.

Eventually you will agree....

Screenshot_20220106-124904.jpg

Jan 5, 2022 at 11:54 PM Post #18,717 of 25,902
Your suggestions sound so absurd…lol. But, after the DC4 revelation today, I’m open to crazy ideas. More tweaking and experimenting tomorrow :L3000:
I am reading this half laughing half paying attention...basically you are saying a wa33 or your power source both improve performance equally but of course they cost the same thing...those who own a dave without the enhanced power source are going to be super disappointed with the dave and susvara..I suppose given your description one makes a choice between amp or power source but dave on its own doesnt cut it with the susvara which I thought was the point of this whole debate...perhaps I am wrong?

Jan 6, 2022 at 12:04 AM Post #18,718 of 25,902
I am reading this half laughing half paying attention...basically you are saying a wa33 or your power source both improve performance equally but of course they cost the same thing...those who own a dave without the enhanced power source are going to be super disappointed with the dave and susvara..I suppose given your description one makes a choice between amp or power source but dave on its own doesnt cut it with the susvara which I thought was the point of this whole debate...perhaps I am wrong?
That's why you have to consider my case of no mods to the Dave, but since I recognize it's potential and flaws, using Spdif in and using a line conditioner proves my case for the Dave. And also explains my truth bomb about those glowing Holo Audio May reviews which is your just paying for the USB board and a built in line conditioner. If one doesn't believe in a digital chain and line conditioners, sure get the Holo May, which ironically incorporate two things you think doesn't work. That's why with the Dave, I did my own USB chain to spdif and used a line conditioner that doesn't void the Dave warranty. This goes back to my narrative for the past two weeks where reviewers are putting blame or criticizing the wrong thing.

Jan 6, 2022 at 1:04 AM Post #18,719 of 25,902
That's why you have to consider my case of no mods to the Dave, but since I recognize it's potential and flaws, using Spdif in and using a line conditioner proves my case for the Dave. And also explains my truth bomb about those glowing Holo Audio May reviews which is your just paying for the USB board and a built in line conditioner. If one doesn't believe in a digital chain and line conditioners, sure get the Holo May, which ironically incorporate two things you think doesn't work. That's why with the Dave, I did my own USB chain to spdif and used a line conditioner that doesn't void the Dave warranty. This goes back to my narrative for the past two weeks where reviewers are putting blame or criticizing the wrong thing.
Enough with your nonsense. @Ciggavelli has a DC4, you do not. You are not hearing what he's hearing.The stock DAVE cannot drive susvara to its full potential. Yes we know you hate holo audio and go out of your way to crap on it as much as possible at every opportunity given. You need to be banned from all audio groups and forums with your trolling.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2022 at 1:07 AM Post #18,720 of 25,902
Enough with your nonsense. @Ciggavelli has a DC4, you do not. You are not hearing what he's hearing.The stock DAVE cannot drive susvara to its full potential. Yes we know you hate holo audio and go out of your way to crap on it as much as possible every opportunity given. You need to be banned from all audio groups and forums.
Wow you're doubling down coz you got burned. Hehe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back