CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Jan 21, 2021 at 4:57 PM Post #16,561 of 25,850
Jan 21, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #16,562 of 25,850
Atleast they got replaced with mqa versions, most of my qobuz playlists have loads of “track unavailable” next to them. They have totally ruined many a playlist, especially ones that are made up with entire albums in them.

One day they are there, the next they are not. That seems to sum up my musical experience these last few years, a broken TT2 and stolen music, meh w.t.f

alt.bin can be your saviour.
Sorry to hear about your problems. Wish you all the best in 2021.

One of the reason I not only keep files but also love my upsampling cd transport is that CDs fails a lot less often than streaming services change their content without warnings.

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:31 PM Post #16,563 of 25,850
Guys I have requested a quote for a 2 XLR to 1 RCA cable to connect a REL T/5i sub to the Dave’s XLR out.

the cable manufacturer is asking me: “We ask for the manufacturer's recommended wiring information when going from a balanced to an unbalanced device (or vice versa). This is usually found in the manual for the device with the XLR connector.”

I couldn’t find anything on the manual, have you got any idea where I can find this information before I write to Chord and wait another 2 months to get a reply?

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:15 AM Post #16,566 of 25,850
So for XLR to single ended use pin 1 for gnd, pin 2 for pos or signal.
Happy new year, Rob. Its great to see you posting in the DAVE thread and I think I can speak on behalf on everyone in saying, we don't take your years of freely sharing of information and presence on HeadFI for granted. We see you and we appreciate you.

Last edited:
Jan 23, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #16,569 of 25,850
Thank you @simorag and @ekfc63 for the PMs and help/advice! Very much appreciated.

Managed to get the mscaler + Dave up and running.

Haven't done very much listening but am so far undecided if I like the mscaler + Dave combo.. I think I am leaning more towards Dave alone. Is that odd? I haven't read through this whole thread, but I do know of some folks who prefer Dave alone. Granted I do not have any storm bnc or other ferrite cable, and the mscaler is running of its stock power supply.

What I did enjoy quite a fair bit was the Dave + innuos phoenix combo. I will revisit this again a few days later after trying more Dave and Dave+mscaler.
M Scaler should be placed far away from DAVE and all of your other hi-fi components. It emits a lot of radio noise and other components lose sound quality because of that noise. DAVE is particularly sensitive to the noise from M Scaler.

Place M Scaler as far away as the BNC cables allow, e.g. 1 metre. You can put it on the floor. Once it is installed and working correctly, there's no need to make any changes to its settings, so you can hide it away. Mine is in a cupboard.

Jan 23, 2021 at 6:48 AM Post #16,570 of 25,850
M Scaler should be placed far away from DAVE and all of your other hi-fi components. It emits a lot of radio noise and other components lose sound quality because of that noise. DAVE is particularly sensitive to the noise from M Scaler.

Place M Scaler as far away as the BNC cables allow, e.g. 1 metre. You can put it on the floor. Once it is installed and working correctly, there's no need to make any changes to its settings, so you can hide it away. Mine is in a cupboard.

Thanks for the advice!
I had to place them close to one another because a set of aftermarket bnc cables which my friend passed along with the units was only 0.5m long.
I'll try with the stock chord cables and try placing them farther apart.

A bit odd that most of the marketing pics show the tt2 stacked on top of the mscaler; is the tt2 not affected as much as the Dave?

So far, I think I am still preferring Dave without mscaler..

Jan 23, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #16,571 of 25,850
A bit odd that most of the marketing pics show the tt2 stacked on top of the mscaler; is the tt2 not affected as much as the Dave?
I've never had a chance to try.

So far, I think I am still preferring Dave without mscaler..
Hopefully improved placement helps - with HMS close to DAVE the sound is brittle and I suspect that's the reason for your preference.

DAVE won't like being near mains transformers, either, so it's best kept separated from your other gear. But the top priority is keeping HMS away from every other part of your system.

While you're experimenting with the longer stock BNC cables, may I suggest that you lightly twist them together. Try with and without a twist to see if you find there's a difference.

When everything is optimised DAVE has a beautiful, liquid, refined, powerful, explosive sound.

Jan 23, 2021 at 1:46 PM Post #16,573 of 25,850
Sorry to hear about your problems. Wish you all the best in 2021.

One of the reason I not only keep files but also love my upsampling cd transport is that CDs fails a lot less often than streaming services change their content without warnings.
Amen to that. I’m glad I still have my multiple thousand CD library collected over a 35 year period. On a top class non-oversampling transport fed into the M-Scaler input of my Blu2 into the Dave with the double BNC connection, my rebook collection has received a new lease on life. While I really like the convenience of Qobuz, I have no confidence in their staying power. The high end streaming business is hardly profitable. They might fold next week or last a decade. Hard to say. So I like to keep a hard copy of my music and while all my CDs and SACDs are ripped, I have little faith in the hard drive technology as well. The larger the drive, the faster it seems to fail. My first CD bought in 1985 still plays back perfectly. Optical storage is far superior in reliability to anything else I’ve used (as long as you don’t throw your CDs around like frisbees). I’m also disappointed with the sound from Roon. I think there’s too much processing going on under the hood and their upscaling makes things worse. I’d like a bit perfect mode where it turns off all processing.

Jan 23, 2021 at 2:33 PM Post #16,574 of 25,850
Jan 23, 2021 at 3:36 PM Post #16,575 of 25,850

Is there anything you can place between the MScaler & DAVE if you don't have the option to space them far apart?

For example, could I cover the MScaler in some Faraday fabric etc?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back