CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 2, 2020 at 11:03 AM Post #16,171 of 25,896
Can't you put HMS on the floor? In my opinion it has no utility being close to hand and just takes desk space.

It's nice to be able to see the LED's, especially the bitrate one so that at a glance, I know if I'm listening to redbook, high res., etc.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:23 AM Post #16,172 of 25,896
Expensive footrest :p Why do you think it's that problematic from 35-40 cm away? Afaik all electronics have to have a level of RF below a certain threshold imposed by the EU. I can't imagine it emits that much RF to be a problem from that far away. And if it did it begs the question of usage with the TT2, which is not as well shielded as the Dave.
Anyway it seems like you've got some benefit from wider spacing... Enjoy.

Perhaps people who don't hear a difference due to spacing have other RF problems that "swamp" the benefits of spacing.

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:39 AM Post #16,173 of 25,896
Anyway it seems like you've got some benefit from wider spacing... Enjoy.

Perhaps people who don't hear a difference due to spacing have other RF problems that "swamp" the benefits of spacing.
Well what i did think i noticed is less than using USB over optical for sure. So maybe you're right, i will try placing it under the desk just for fun at one point

Nov 2, 2020 at 11:55 AM Post #16,174 of 25,896
I’ve been able to hear all the little changes with different optical and usb and battery, but moving the mscaler was the one thing that I couldn’t tell a difference.

And look how nice it looks stacked.

Attachments

• 5A96CE23-FD3B-4A03-A952-7EEFCB6FFD27.jpeg
    5A96CE23-FD3B-4A03-A952-7EEFCB6FFD27.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Nov 2, 2020 at 1:38 PM Post #16,175 of 25,896
I’ve been able to hear all the little changes with different optical and usb and battery, but moving the mscaler was the one thing that I couldn’t tell a difference.

Well i've noticed a difference with the m-scaler right next to Dave, brushing against each other vs 30 cm away. Not sure where the point of diminishing returns is or whether it's just placebo. Maybe @Rob Watts can help us here. I suspect i know what the answer will be since it was made to be stacked with the TT2, but even the manual says it generates rf.
It does look nice .it wouldn't fit under my monitor since that's where i keep my Dave, but what stand is that?

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:22 PM Post #16,176 of 25,896
Well i've noticed a difference with the m-scaler right next to Dave, brushing against each other vs 30 cm away. Not sure where the point of diminishing returns is or whether it's just placebo. Maybe @Rob Watts can help us here. I suspect i know what the answer will be since it was made to be stacked with the TT2, but even the manual says it generates rf.
It does look nice .it wouldn't fit under my monitor since that's where i keep my Dave, but what stand is that?

The stand was only $22. Not sure if this link will work for other countries.

Glass Computer Monitor Stand Riser with Height Adjustable Multi... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076GZH1RD/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_i_-VfOFbP4J2ZT0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Nov 2, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #16,177 of 25,896
Nov 3, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #16,178 of 25,896
Slightly off topic but it does concern the Dave. Can I ask any Innuos streamer owners what software they are using to connect to their Dave or Mscaler please? I have been using Roon with my Statement in experimental mode but last night I tried iPeng and SqueezePad becasue iPeng is often mentioned as being the best sound quality. To my ears iPeng resulted in a sound that was brightest and ultimately a bit fatiguing. Roon was smoothest and SqueezePad was somewhere in between. If I understand it correctly then iPeng and SqueezePad are both accessing the Statement in experimental mode and in which case I'm a bit flumoxed as to why all three sound different through the Mscaler + Dave combo.

Nov 3, 2020 at 3:31 AM Post #16,179 of 25,896
Slightly off topic but it does concern the Dave. Can I ask any Innuos streamer owners what software they are using to connect to their Dave or Mscaler please? I have been using Roon with my Statement in experimental mode but last night I tried iPeng and SqueezePad becasue iPeng is often mentioned as being the best sound quality. To my ears iPeng resulted in a sound that was brightest and ultimately a bit fatiguing. Roon was smoothest and SqueezePad was somewhere in between. If I understand it correctly then iPeng and SqueezePad are both accessing the Statement in experimental mode and in which case I'm a bit flumoxed as to why all three sound different through the Mscaler + Dave combo.
IPeng and Squeezepad are only control points for LMS so it is difficult to understand how they might influence the sound - they are just different ways of controlling Logitech Media Server (LMS) which is presumably running on your Innuos. Roon Core is different software though, so could conceivably influence the sound in some way. Iirc there is an experimental mode of LMS using memory playback which some in the Innuos community, including I believe Innuos themselves, think sounds better. There was some pressure on Roon awhile back to do something similar, which they resisted. Here’s a post on the Roon forum I found, you’ll need to do a bit of digging to find the whole saga, but the claim was that since memory playback from LMS sounded better so Roon should do it too. would have come to a different conclusion.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/innuos-zenith-mkiii-as-roon-core/55203/39

Both LMS and Roon have settings to do with upsampling, filters, FLAC to WAV conversion etc.. which may affect SQ too.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 4:28 AM Post #16,180 of 25,896
Nov 3, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #16,181 of 25,896

I use 3 controls depending upon which is to hand at the time (when I am around the house). iPeng for iPad, Squeeze Ctrl for Samsung Android Phone, Squeeze Control for Windows Laptop. Where possible I avoid iPeng because it makes my HIFI sound thinner. However, if more than one app is running on these devices at any one time this can be detrimental too. So I make sure the others are not open and running in the background.

I was told by someone at Innuos earlier in the year that they have been developing their own App and that it improves the sound meaningfully further. If their 2020 Statement software updates are anything to go by, this is reason to get excited imo. I believe the App was close to release back in June but of course nobody foresaw the affects of a Pandemic.

Regarding Roon, I was very interested in it because of the data feed but at the time an almost unanimous view on the internet was that it impaired SQ compared to the other controllers so I shelved that plan. Roon may have improved over time of course.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2020 at 5:31 AM Post #16,182 of 25,896

Still don't know how come you prefer crossfeed 0.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #16,183 of 25,896
Still don't know how come you prefer crossfeed 0.

All my prior testing was done with my bad usb connection so I’ll have have to retest it. But think it depends on your headphones as well. Believe it helps open up closed headphones. It also depends on the angle of the drivers. And as I said before I grew up with headphones more than a speaker setup so I’m used to the head stage you get from headphones.

Nov 3, 2020 at 8:37 AM Post #16,184 of 25,896
I have recently switched from using Ipeng to control my Innuos Statement, to now using Roon and my favourite music has never sounded so good. Until reading the last few posts, I didn't realise there was any difference in the software and had put it down to my hifi breaking in more as it doesn't get used a great deal.

Nov 3, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #16,185 of 25,896
I use 3 controls depending upon which is to hand at the time (when I am around the house). iPeng for iPad, Squeeze Ctrl for Samsung Android Phone, Squeeze Control for Windows Laptop. Where possible I avoid iPeng because it makes my HIFI sound thinner.

Thanks, this sort of relates to my experience and with iPeng.

I have recently switched from using Ipeng to control my Innuos Statement, to now using Roon and my favourite music has never sounded so good. Until reading the last few posts, I didn't realise there was any difference in the software and had put it down to my hifi breaking in more as it doesn't get used a great deal.

I am not sure that I am 100% happy with the Roon sound quality because some classical music sounds rather rather constrained but equally there is something not good with the slight hardness that I hear with iPeng. Hopefully the long awaited Innuos app will be the best of all worlds. Anyway, apologies to other Dave owners who will no doubt be getting bored with this. :smiley:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back