CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 31, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #16,157 of 25,868
Oct 31, 2020 at 5:52 PM Post #16,158 of 25,868
A lot of extra money to solder some wires.

Can someone post the links to the parts needed to make your own cables? I know it’s somewhere posted here or in the mscaler thread. Think can make your own for 1/3 of the price.

Or has anyone found a linear power supply that works? I know Rob says they are worst than the switching power supply but then we know that’s what’s causing the RFI to feed into the Dave.

I’m still happy with the Poweradd battery but looking for solution where don’t have to mess with charging but don’t have to shell out over $1000 for cables.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 2:59 AM Post #16,159 of 25,868
Or has anyone found a linear power supply that works? I know Rob says they are worst than the switching power supply but then we know that’s what’s causing the RFI to feed into the Dave.

It's not the switching power supply that is causing the RFI to feed into Dave. It's the mains connection. A linear power supply will do the same thing. Optical isolation using the opto DX or cables with appropriately specified ring or sleeve ferrites are the only alternative to a battery supply. Split ferrites can also cause noise. If not into DIY try the Wave cables.

Nov 1, 2020 at 9:12 AM Post #16,160 of 25,868
It's not the switching power supply that is causing the RFI to feed into Dave. It's the mains connection. A linear power supply will do the same thing. Optical isolation using the opto DX or cables with appropriately specified ring or sleeve ferrites are the only alternative to a battery supply. Split ferrites can also cause noise. If not into DIY try the Wave cables.

Thanks for the info. Think I’ll stick with battery for now. Wave cables are $1850 for best ones and $1150 for next level down. I haven’t heard any comments on the Stone version. I’ll go hunting for the links and instructions for the DIY cables.

I don’t like the idea of the opto X because then more boxes, cables and need 2 battery supplies. I’m trying to simplify my setup.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 9:18 AM Post #16,161 of 25,868
Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #16,162 of 25,868
Thanks for the info. Think I’ll stick with battery for now. Wave cables are $1850 for best ones and $1150 for next level down. I haven’t heard any comments on the Stone version. I’ll go hunting for the links and instructions for the DIY cables.

I don’t like the idea of the opto X because then more boxes, cables and need 2 battery supplies. I’m trying to simplify my setup.

I’m using the Stone, which is the next level down again, and am very pleased with them. I cannot say how they compare to the more expensive ones from Wave as I have never tried them, but I did compare to a pair of cables costing twice as much from a respected company. The Stone cables calmed a very slight brashness from the treble in my system.

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:42 PM Post #16,163 of 25,868
When M Scaler is that close to DAVE it really spoils the sound quality. I guess the Naim box will cause similar sound quality problems when it's that close to DAVE.

A computer monitor may also cause sound quality problems if DAVE is close.

Once HMS is set up in a system there's no need to see the colours or change its settings. The automatic input switching and the automatic "video mode" make it easy to hide HMS well out of the way. 60cm/2 feet separation between DAVE and HMS is my recommendation.

Free upgrade :)

Nov 1, 2020 at 4:52 PM Post #16,164 of 25,868
When M Scaler is that close to DAVE it really spoils the sound quality. I guess the Naim box will cause similar sound quality problems when it's that close to DAVE.

Once HMS is set up in a system there's no need to see the colours or change its settings. The automatic input switching and the automatic "video mode" make it easy to hide HMS well out of the way. 60cm/2 feet separation between DAVE and HMS is my recommendation.

Thanks :) i've since returned the Naim, it didn't really do anything for me over optical from my pc. I can easily move the m-scaler further away, had no idea Dave is that sensitive. Nothing i can do about the huge monitor though, Dave would just be out of reach. I get why the Naim would be a problem with the huge toroidal psu it has inside, is the monitor such a big deal though? I also can't find a way to hide the bnc's without crossing them over the power cables, i'm not hearing any difference though. I'm looking for something to stick in between them just to be safe.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:22 PM Post #16,165 of 25,868
Your Scaler's in Bypass mode.

Nov 1, 2020 at 5:27 PM Post #16,166 of 25,868
Your Scaler's in Bypass mode.
No wonder i liked it so much :p That's an old picture from when i was testing everything under the sun with it. It’s only 30 cm but this is it now, best i can do:

Attachments

• 4B96085B-68C0-406E-A242-C5AF0FA35454.jpeg
    4B96085B-68C0-406E-A242-C5AF0FA35454.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Nov 1, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #16,167 of 25,868

I have my Dave on a glass monitor stand about 6 inches above the mscaler. I read the same thing about keeping them far apart, so wanted to see if that was true. I decided to separate the units about 3 feet apart the other day and but heard no difference.

They’re back to stacked and think looks much nicer that way.

Last edited:
Nov 1, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #16,168 of 25,868
I have my Dave on a glass monitor stand about 6 inches above the mscaler. I read the same thing about keeping them far apart, so wanted to see if that was true. I decided to separate the units about 3 feet apart the other day and but heard no difference.

They’re back to stacked and think looks much nicer that way.
Well it was made to stack with the TT2 so i'm not sure how much of a difference it could make. Though testing them right next to each other and 35 cm apart i think i can hear a slight difference, might just be placebo though.

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2020 at 10:21 AM Post #16,169 of 25,868
Well it was made to stack with the TT2 so i'm not sure how much of a difference it could make. Though testing them right next to each other and 35 cm apart i think i can hear a slight difference, might just be placebo though.
Can't you put HMS on the floor? In my opinion it has no utility being close to hand and just takes desk space.

My HMS is in a cupboard.

Nov 2, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #16,170 of 25,868
Can't you put HMS on the floor? In my opinion it has no utility being close to hand and just takes desk space.

My HMS is in a cupboard.
Expensive footrest :p Why do you think it's that problematic from 35-40 cm away? Afaik all electronics have to have a level of RF below a certain threshold imposed by the EU. I can't imagine it emits that much RF to be a problem from that far away. And if it did it begs the question of usage with the TT2, which is not as well shielded as the Dave.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back