CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 28, 2020 at 6:01 PM Post #16,142 of 25,882
Guys I need help please!

Currently using mscaler->dave->xi audio formula s + powerman -> 1266 phi tc

Since I felt some distortion happening, anyone using this combo with the amp at highest volume (In this way volume control on the amp should be bypassed?...) and use the dave as a preamp to control the volume?

Here is the specification of the xi audio formula s amp: I use low gain.
  • Output: 6W @ 16 ohms
  • Input Z: 10 Kohms
  • Input Sensitivity: 1000 mV
  • Gain:Selectable 10 dB (Low) / 16 dB (High)
  • THD: 0.0006% @ 300 mW, distortion character compensated for high-end music playback
  • Noise floor: -110 dBV
-20db @ digital pre amp mode the volume is already loud enough for me, but I'm not sure the voltage output @ -20db is sufficient for the amp input sensitivity.... also not sure if using the amp this way can cause bigger distortion....

Thanks very much!
I have the formula s/powerman combo with the blu2/dave and have never experienced what you describe although I have never pushed the volume beyond listening levels to test it

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:36 PM Post #16,143 of 25,882
Guys I need help please!

Currently using mscaler->dave->xi audio formula s + powerman -> 1266 phi tc

Since I felt some distortion happening, anyone using this combo with the amp at highest volume (In this way volume control on the amp should be bypassed?...) and use the dave as a preamp to control the volume?

Here is the specification of the xi audio formula s amp: I use low gain.
  • Output: 6W @ 16 ohms
  • Input Z: 10 Kohms
  • Input Sensitivity: 1000 mV
  • Gain:Selectable 10 dB (Low) / 16 dB (High)
  • THD: 0.0006% @ 300 mW, distortion character compensated for high-end music playback
  • Noise floor: -110 dBV
-20db @ digital pre amp mode the volume is already loud enough for me, but I'm not sure the voltage output @ -20db is sufficient for the amp input sensitivity.... also not sure if using the amp this way can cause bigger distortion....

Thanks very much!

I would try setting the DAVE to the max and then using the xi audio volume control to control the volume. In your case the cable between DAVE and xi audio could be picking up some noise and if you have the xi audio set at max volume you are going to hear it.

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:38 PM Post #16,144 of 25,882
Compared to without one.
And that's exactly not exactly what I propose as an alternative.

Instead of obfuscating polemic you could have posted something constructive. E.g. why you personally are not willing to try the proposed approach promising to optimize both aspects at once: high fidelity and listening pleasure. Or why it isn't for everyone.

At least you're actually capable of friendly posts, as #16,136 shows. :relaxed:

Oct 28, 2020 at 6:49 PM Post #16,145 of 25,882
And that's exactly not exactly what I propose as an alternative.

Instead of obfuscating polemic you could have posted something constructive. E.g. why you personally are not willing to try the proposed approach promising to optimize both aspects at once: high fidelity and listening pleasure. Or why it isn't for everyone.

At least you're actually capable of friendly posts, as #16,136 shows. :relaxed:

Why don't you give that a try? Also, don't assume that a post is unfriendly just because it does not agree with your paradigm.

Oct 28, 2020 at 8:02 PM Post #16,146 of 25,882
Now we're getting somewhere! Which paradigm are you talking about?

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:50 AM Post #16,147 of 25,882
I would try setting the DAVE to the max and then using the xi audio volume control to control the volume. In your case the cable between DAVE and xi audio could be picking up some noise and if you have the xi audio set at max volume you are going to hear it.

Did you really mean trying setting the Dave at maximum ie +19dB? @henryxiao That might be too much for the xi audio formula s and might make it clip especially in loud passages. If it happens it will sound like bad distortion and can destruct speakers very quickly and therefore possibly headphones. I suggest caution and start with a lower Dave output to start with eg 0dB or maybe +3dB.

Oct 29, 2020 at 2:21 PM Post #16,148 of 25,882
Did you really mean trying setting the Dave at maximum ie +19dB? @henryxiao That might be too much for the xi audio formula s and might make it clip especially in loud passages. If it happens it will sound like bad distortion and can destruct speakers very quickly and therefore possibly headphones. I suggest caution and start with a lower Dave output to start with eg 0dB or maybe +3dB.

Not likely. The xi audio will only see what comes after it's own volume control has attenuated the signal. No chance of destroying anything unless he turns the volume of the xi audio up to speaker or headphone destroying levels.

Oct 29, 2020 at 3:05 PM Post #16,149 of 25,882
Not likely. The xi audio will only see what comes after it's own volume control has attenuated the signal. No chance of destroying anything unless he turns the volume of the xi audio up to speaker or headphone destroying levels.

Thanks. I admit I speak only from a speaker perspective where if there is a volume control in an amplifier it is often part of a preamplifier circuit which can indeed clip if the input voltage is too high. If the xi has a potentiometer immediately after the inputs then I agree that will reduce their voltage before the actual amplifier stages.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:21 PM Post #16,150 of 25,882
Well after a few days with the m-scaler i'm as happy with this purchase as i was with Dave. It definitely makes a bigger difference than i initially realized. That said the BNC's are pretty fiddly. I can't put my finger on it but reversing them changes the sound a bit.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:26 PM Post #16,152 of 25,882
Told you so.
Well you should've heard it with the bad optical cable. It was an abomination. This is worlds apart. Even solo Dave with a better (let's call it fitting for now since i haven't tested it yet) cable was. Something did seem off from your reactions though. Plus another friend who got his M-scaler at the same time.

Oct 29, 2020 at 5:36 PM Post #16,153 of 25,882
Well you should've heard it with the bad optical cable. It was an abomination. This is worlds apart. Even solo Dave with a better (let's call it fitting for now since i haven't tested it yet) cable was. Something did seem off from your reactions though. Plus another friend who got his M-scaler at the same time.
Now if you try Innuos phoenix with both you will be blown away. Damn that thing can make any dac perform at the insane level.

Oct 29, 2020 at 6:05 PM Post #16,155 of 25,882
Well after a few days with the m-scaler i'm as happy with this purchase as i was with Dave. It definitely makes a bigger difference than i initially realized. That said the BNC's are pretty fiddly. I can't put my finger on it but reversing them changes the sound a bit.

Reversing the dual BNC cables on Dave switches the left and right channels around. It makes no difference on the TT 2 as it recognises the channel identification from the mScaler.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back