CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 14, 2020 at 12:32 PM Post #15,841 of 25,843
It's more a matter of space than money now, I know I'm going to add m scaler in the future... I have already listened Dave with MScaler with Ragnar at his place. With Wave cables and all farads and ps audio power plant power supply chain. Two words sum it perfectly smooth listening :)
I'm also dreading the boxes on my desk , how does he have them stacked?

Oct 14, 2020 at 1:11 PM Post #15,843 of 25,843
Ok so here are a few of my words on switching from MTT2 to the Dave.

Prologue
Lets start that I was using Chord dacs for some time. Started like ~2 years ago with Mojo - which was bought with no expectations whatsoever.
I just needed small dac/amp to use it at work.
Mojo had been on my radar for some time but to be honest it was the stage when I underestimated it because of it's size and price which back than was seen by me as way too high for such "TOY" (sorry Chord, I'm pretty sure we all were that at some point of our audiophile "career" - good audio gear need to be heavy big, hot...)
Anyway I decided to try Mojo, and was surprised by its performance, Mojo was sounding different, then I couldn't put any word what the difference was. It was competing with the other big desktop gear that I had at that time.
Immediately I started to thinking how good Hugo 2 can be. Hugo TT and Dave were beyond my imagination as the price seemed to be just not for me (yeah right)

So after couple of months thinking about Hugo 2 I thought ok let's give it a try. Just compare it to my Audio-gd combo and if it's better I'll sell the audio gd to cover some cost of the hugo 2 - if not it will go back to the dealer (still the price was a bit repulsive).

My impressions of that can be found here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-hugo-2-the-official-thread.831345/post-14847081
From time perspective I'll add that Hugo 2 just walked over Audio GD combo.
And from Hugo 2 I was sucked. I was amazed how such small transportable thing could sound so amazing so different. I wanted more of that Chord sound. Nothing different just more, just gimme their top dacs.

M Scaler + TT2 or Dave - what to choose ?
Yup as I said I was sucked (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5CL4oaIpY8). After Hugo 2 and wanting more of that Chord sound I had some romance with TT1 (yes the first one). After that thank to @Ragnar-BY I switched to TT2 + M Scaler (damn you ragnar, you are part of this crazy journey :beerchug:)
And it was bliss. I couldn't be happier. The combo had everything it was perfect. I wasn't even thinking about Dave even if the price was similar why I should change it. My thinking was TT2 vs Dave is probably very close as the TT2 is a newer iteration of Chord (Dave is 5yo at that point) so adding M Scaler to the TT2 will just outclass solo Dave, wouldn't it ?
I was living for couple of months with my MTT2 combo and was happy. The only thing that was bothering me was BOXES and CABLES. I have tight space on my desk, and this space was going to shrink even more because of adding second monitor to allow me to work in better environment.

So naturally there were thoughts of maybe I should sell MTT2 and just go with the Dave - as it will simplify my setup under the desk and whats more important on the desk dramatically (simple power cable + toslink, no power bricks etc.)
It was very hard decision as on the internet there is very little comparisons if any of MTT2 vs Dave. I was afraid to lose everything that m scaler and tt2 combo was giving to me. On top of that I was using MTT2 combo for only like 4 months, so another change in such short period ? (dancing with the devil) Call me crazy I went full in, switched to solo Dave.
And oh boy I can't be happier.
Dave is just on another level. I'm not missing anything from the old combo (almost anything but more on that later). Dave has it all, crazy decay, crazy separation, transparency, clarity extension on both ends like nothing else.

Here are some main points of my feeling about Dave:
1. Dave sounds cooler than MTT2, but not harsh or anything just cooler/brighter.​
2. Bass is better controlled. At the beginning it sounded thinner but with time you start to realize how much different instrument timber sound because of that, it also connects to the first point of Dave being cooler. It's amazingly controlled, not bloated wall of sound just fast punchy and reaching very deep. I had similar feeling when switching from TT1 to TT2. And here with TT2-Dave is another step.​
3. Highs are extremely extended detailed and shiny, yet not harsh they won't cut your ears they are smooth at the same time.​
Small side note here: I remember reading some high end gear reviews when reviewers were talking about that dac (not Dave, just general dacs) is bright and detailed on top. I couldn't understand how you can like bright dacs. It will always hurt your ears (especially on headphones). Now with the Dave I can fully understand how you can be addicted to extremely good treble. A lot of my previous lesser dacs had this harsh forced treble and I just thought that my ears don't like high frequencies although they sound in general was rather dark/muddied. I couldn't have been more wrong. I was just listening to wrong dacs. When treble is done properly it becomes addictive like low bass notes.
4. Clarity on Dave is.... I'm speechless. For me that's the strongest point of Dave. It amazed me I was overwhelmed how much clearer everything sounded. Every instrument every note is now separated from each other like never before. It's like MTT2 was already amazing but Dave is just different. Layers of music are so much separated. It's extremely well "visible" in complex music passages. Notes never sound congested/squashed into one waveform, everything exists on it's own layer. It must be heard.
5. Quiet notes/instruments are much easier to spot. I'm sure it has something to noise shapers that Rob was talking about. Now quiet notes are more "visible" at the beginning it's like sound feels "compressed" (like louder instruments sound quieter and quiet instruments are louder). Really strange/bizzare experience. What is more strange that this quieter instruments are not only like quiet but also their image is smaller. Like you hear the 3D shape of the note in the space is smaller not only quieter, but at the same time its easier to spot details. Hard to explain, but I'm sure Dave users know what I'm talking about.​
6. Spookiness. All above points connects to spooky experience. I remember reading about it in review of the Dave @ audiobacon.net site. I couldn't understand it. With good dac music sounds good, but with the Dave sometimes it sounds like you are there. I know it sounds like total cliche. But that's my feeling (and I'm not sure I'm not the only one). Instruments/notes on different tracks sometimes sound so spooky real. It's not even funny. I haven't experience this on MTT2 combo, not even once. Dave just sounds more convincing.​
The only two things that I'm missing from MTT2 combo are: power and smoothness. With power it's only on some tracks. I feel like TT2 was driving controlling better my headphones especially on high volume levels. But it's not always, only some tracks/albums. And the smoothness that flow that m scaler was giving is something I'm missing a bit. But still all above points make experience so good that I don't regret the change. It was definitely worth it.

Epilogue

So that pretty much sums all my feelings about the Dave. I know some of the things that I mention may sound like cliche to some people or like I'm exaggerating. Maybe I am but Dave is really different. All the philosophy that Rob is saying about his approach on dacs are connecting into one piece in the Dave - it really make full sense now. Currently I'm working from home so music is on my headphones for at least 8 hours per day. And I can't get enough. I'm not tired don't have any fatigue, just want to listen more and more.
If I knew that the Dave is such amazing kit I would buy it much earlier.
Cheers

ps. sorry for such long post and for any mistakes. Damn I should add some photos do a bit of rewriting some of the points and post it on review section on head fi :p

Great writeup! You put many of my exact same thoughts into words. Very well written and great descriptions. I have the same thoughts about the Highs. It's hard to describe how pleasant they sound to someone that hasn't heard it. And then once you hear it, it's intoxicating and addicting, and you just want to hear more. As you said the music just sounds so realistic. And instruments/sounds/voices/mids that are normally in the background can now easily be heard and are so clear.

I went down a similar road, but skipped the TT2.
I went Mojo+Poly-->Hugo2+2go-->Dave-->Dave+Mscaler. My Chord journey (and my bank account...lol) has been a little shorter as I did all of this in 2-3 months. The Chord products (and this forum!) have a way of getting you hooked! I recently hooked up my Hugo2 up to the Mscaler for fun and it made me realize how different the Hugo2 sounds compared to the Dave. IMHO, they have different sound signatures. As you mentioned Dave is just different...and SO good.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #15,844 of 25,843
Nice!!!

and you will give reassurance to @musickid who is waiting for his solo Dave having handed in his TT2 / Mscaler.

Now you need to start saving to buy back an Mscaler :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :smiley:.
Yes, the M Scaler with the DAVE is audio nirvana. I have been testing the DAVE alone and with the M Scaler both with my Speaker System and my Grado GS3000e's and it makes a difference i.e. smoother (analogue like), deeper and more bass detail and not ear piercing high's / treble as you can get on some types of music woth the DAVE alone (although the detail is still there in spades).

The biggest impact I found with the M Scaler though, is that it sets more of a level playing field between poor ripped CD's from your PC via USB giving 44kHz to the M Scaler to a good CD Transporter (I have the Chord Blu MK1) via BNC digital cable giving 88kHz both sources via the M Scaler giving 705.6kHz to the dAVE via twin BNC digital cables.

Oct 14, 2020 at 4:19 PM Post #15,846 of 25,843
If deskspace is an issue he could try hqplayer to give that mscaler high tap filter analog sound. I know, I know but he already has the computer and no more space.

Oct 15, 2020 at 3:42 AM Post #15,848 of 25,843
Haha. I had the reverse journey. After a couple of years with DAVE, I got Mojo for travel. And then after a while with MScaler, I got Hugo 2 for the office.
I'm probably heading down the same path, i'm just trying to convince myself i'm never going back to the office at the moment. I was considering selling my Mojo and looking for something more portable like LCD-I4's with cipher dac, not sure about the use case, since they're open back iems though.
Is anyone using them with Dave? The low sound leakage could fill my need for an open back based on reviews

Oct 15, 2020 at 7:09 AM Post #15,849 of 25,843
Haha. I had the reverse journey. After a couple of years with DAVE, I got Mojo for travel. And then after a while with MScaler, I got Hugo 2 for the office.
I had a similar journey, but over 6 months or so.

Oct 15, 2020 at 9:56 AM Post #15,850 of 25,843

I started with the Hugo 1 and then the Mojo. Then I was stupid enough to listen to how a $500.000 setup sounds like. Then I bought the Chord Dave after comparing it to various $20.000+ DAC’s as it was a good value for money quite suprisingly (not sure how it is in 2020 with new DAC’s on the market)

Later I bought the Hugo 2 for the office.

Last edited:
Oct 15, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #15,852 of 25,843
Well... First, you need to find a wife that won't grumble about the big boxes scattered around the house. The rest is easier :))))
I'm the grumbling one unfortunately so that makes it impossible lol :p She's the one doing the scattering

Oct 16, 2020 at 2:58 PM Post #15,853 of 25,843
Now i understand @sm60 's frustration with Chord, was at a demo at my dealer today and the M-scaler just wouldn't work with a new Dave, ended up taking it home as well as a pair of Aryas
121644997_2822017151366598_8024281209779914780_n.jpg

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #15,854 of 25,843
I know this is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way but here goes :
I genuinely dislike what the M-scaler does. Even if i did like it, the changes are so tiny that i wouldn't pay more than 1k for it. Or for my preferences, to get rid of it.
With the Aryas it's not that bad, but the Z1R are already really smooth and it's just way too mushy. I found it brought more improvement to the TT2 when i auditioned them together.
I can't understand why people spend so much money on improving this incremental " improvement " to Dave, let alone cables and power supplies for it. I'd honestly rather get a second Dave for work instead.
I knew people will cry "Mid-Fi" so i also tested some LCD-4Z's with Dave, i like how similar they sound to my Z1R , but i find them "almost as good" in all aspects, with a smaller soundstage. Not even close to better, i actually like the Aryas better than the 4z's, maybe because they're a bit different to the Z1r. I also find them a cut below in detail retrieval, even though they sound a bit more open, apparently that doesn't mean larger soundstage or better imaging.
My Gf also came to the same conclusions so at least if i'm crazy, there's 2 of us and we found each other LOL.
I just have the Utopias and Empyreans left to audition and them i'm done testing until new flagships come out. And a new Dave. If i do upgrade, it'll be either that or a Bartok depending on when i get to audition one.

Oct 16, 2020 at 3:59 PM Post #15,855 of 25,843
I know this is going to rub a lot of people the wrong way but here goes :
I genuinely dislike what the M-scaler does. Even if i did like it, the changes are so tiny that i wouldn't pay more than 1k for it. Or for my preferences, to get rid of it.
With the Aryas it's not that bad, but the Z1R are already really smooth and it's just way too mushy. I found it brought more improvement to the TT2 when i auditioned them together.
I can't understand why people spend so much money on improving this incremental " improvement " to Dave, let alone cables and power supplies for it. I'd honestly rather get a second Dave for work instead.
I knew people will cry "Mid-Fi" so i also tested some LCD-4Z's with Dave, i like how similar they sound to my Z1R , but i find them "almost as good" in all aspects, with a smaller soundstage. Not even close to better, i actually like the Aryas better than the 4z's, maybe because they're a bit different to the Z1r. I also find them a cut below in detail retrieval, even though they sound a bit more open, apparently that doesn't mean larger soundstage or better imaging.
My Gf also came to the same conclusions so at least if i'm crazy, there's 2 of us and we found each other LOL.
I just have the Utopias and Empyreans left to audition and them i'm done testing until new flagships come out. And a new Dave. If i do upgrade, it'll be either that or a Bartok depending on when i get to audition one.

It's interesting, I'm sure you went into this test hearing that Mscaler was a "game changer," and you're left wondering what the hullabaloo was about. We've all been there with different gear at one point or another. Here are some quick thoughts if it's helpful:

1) Mscaler is a game changer, but like any game it takes time to understand the rules and nature of the game. You have to give it, and yourself, some time to orient to what it's really doing. It's not like a different headphone where the changes, better or worse, are overt on first listen. The improvements (layering, separation, micro-detail, sense of space, etc) are of the kind that could be lost on others, but are sought after by many audiophiles. You should give it some time to burn in, but honestly, this is case where mental burn in is more critical.

2) Mscaler is an incremental upgrade. Better connection, e.g., Wave or Opto DX is another increment. So is a better power supply, e.g., Poweradd, Farad. As I've shared there is no silver bullet. For major improvements you have to think and invest systemically. Let's say you come to like what Msclaer does but still find the "mushy" tradeoff unacceptable. Then you have to think through how to retain the benefits of Mscaler while "correcting" the smoothing/softening aspect. It's together that all these incremental moves compound into something dramatic, so much so that when you take them out you can't imagine going back.

3) In the end, you may still not like Mscaler. That's fine; I go a different route myself. But, it does deliver on what Rob Watts promised and is a little genius device.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back