CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Oct 15, 2019 at 2:31 PM Post #13,621 of 25,971
Technically you are 100% correct. However there is Qutest, same DAC as H2, but 2/3 the price.
But Qutest has an amp similar to Mojo, but "fixed" to line out and without volume control.
But I guess doing the "Qutest treatment" to Dave would translate to much smaller relative cost decrease, given the much higher cost of Dave.

you’re correct about the Qutest, but I agree, I’m not sure it would translate to significant savings on the DAVE. I guess only Rob and Chord will know...

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:30 AM Post #13,622 of 25,971
I am about to give up my Aurender N100H for a reasonable offer. I used it literally twice since purchase a few years ago and decided to use my DAP with optical out as a transport instead. It’s essentially brand new!

Please PM me if you have any interest.

Oct 16, 2019 at 8:56 AM Post #13,623 of 25,971
you’re correct about the Qutest, but I agree, I’m not sure it would translate to significant savings on the DAVE. I guess only Rob and Chord will know...

I don't think it would lead to any savings on the Dave. While I truthfully don't know, I think adding or removing the headphone output on the Dave is relatively trivial from an engineering perspective and cost wise. Qutest exists to fulfill the entry level Chord Dac market segment. It's a fantastic DAC regardless of price. I'm sure the bill of materials for DAVE are much, much lower than the retail cost. Chord charges what they do because of R&D, and it's what the market would bear. Do I think it's worth it - yes! I have one and I'd buy it again.

I don't see any reason for Chord to create a DAC that sits in between Dave and TT2. It would cannibalize the sales of Dave and I can't imagine volume would increase that much at that level to offset the price difference.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:07 AM Post #13,624 of 25,971
My experience with playing with Digital Cables with Dave / Mscaler has led me to believe that the differences in digital cables are entirely due to handling RFI and noise. I was always skeptical of digital cables because the data is encoded, but this makes sense to me and provides at least a potential scientific explanation for differences in sound.

For that reason, when using Toslink with a Chord Dac - or most modern Dacs where Jitter is a minor issue - leads me to believe that their really aren't any differences in toslink cables that work. Sure, glass may allow you to transfer higher bandwidth over longer distances - but if we really do take jitter out of the equation (I can't hear it at least) - are there really any differences on Toslink cables?

IMO, analog cables do affect the sound as they - in many cases - act as a filter.

Oct 16, 2019 at 9:11 AM Post #13,625 of 25,971
Don't think it's the BNC cables as they work fine with my TT2/HMS set up.

Still think it might be BNC cables. I think the Dave is more sensitive on the BNCs than the TT2. I think Chord managed to make them more stable on the TT2. I had the same issue with stock cables, but when I used different cables, I didn't have an issue any longer.

I would also try the other inputs as suggested as that worked for me too. With certain cables, though, both set of inputs work flawlessly.

Oct 16, 2019 at 3:25 PM Post #13,626 of 25,971
I don't see any reason for Chord to create a DAC that sits in between Dave and TT2. It would cannibalize the sales of Dave and I can't imagine volume would increase that much at that level to offset the price difference.
Agreed. A DAVE without a headphone input is never going to happen and would be completely pointless. It would make more sense for someone to just purchase a secondhand DAVE if they could not afford a new unit.

Last edited:
Oct 16, 2019 at 8:54 PM Post #13,629 of 25,971
Last edited:
Oct 18, 2019 at 10:34 AM Post #13,631 of 25,971
Hi. I have been using dual bnc output of blu mk2 without any problem. This morning I tried using a single bnc cable via the "single bnc output", but sample rate is only showing 176.4 (instead of 352) on DAVE. Just wondering if anyone of you are using the single bnc output to DAVE? I have also checked the upsample toggle switch but no help.

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:45 PM Post #13,632 of 25,971
Potentially stupid question.

I like the crossfeed implementation a lot on the Dave but I like using my external tube amp, to keep the crossfeed into the amp do I just connect it out of the headphone out and set to -3dB?

Does anyone else do this?

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #13,633 of 25,971
I learned the hard way that once you set cross feed with headphone plugged in, it stays on even when using the RCA or XLR outs on the back (even if you can’t see it on the display)

headphone has to be plugged in to see the cross fade setting or change it, but it is on for all outputs

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:51 PM Post #13,634 of 25,971
Potentially stupid question.

I like the crossfeed implementation a lot on the Dave but I like using my external tube amp, to keep the crossfeed into the amp do I just connect it out of the headphone out and set to -3dB?

Does anyone else do this?
That is not even necessary because crossfeed is ON for the headphones jack, RCA and XLR outputs if you turn it on with headphones plugged in. And it stays on when you unplug the headphones even though you cannot see the setting on the display.
That was part of the DAVE’s design. Great for Head-fi people, even those who want to use external tube amp.
But it can be annoying for people like me who switches between headphones and speakers as I always turn on crossfeed for headphones but I don’t always remember to turn off crossfeed before unplugging the headphones so I ended up getting unwanted crossfeed from my speakers.

Oct 22, 2019 at 11:59 PM Post #13,635 of 25,971
Did not realise that, should have probably tried to listen to it first before applying my own thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back