CHORD ELECTRONICS DAVE
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:51 PM Post #12,601 of 25,850
In only two instances have I experienced drop outs with my DAVE/Blu MKII combo -- most persistently, when my LAN was not working correctly. Once that was sorted (I replaced an older ethernet switch for a newer, better quality one), the only other time I experienced intermittent drop outs I traced it back to not having one of the BNC connectors fully seated and locked. In the course of experimenting with and comparing various BNC cables I found a wide range of quality in BNC connectors, and even some very expensive cables had BNC terminations that at best could be called sloppy. Since adopting Nick's excellent WAVE BNC cables as my daily drivers I haven't experienced any problems with achieving a tight, positive connection at either end. I also feed my Blu MKII from a Innuos Zenith via USB and have tried several different USB cables and never had an occurrence of drop outs that I could isolate to the use or not of the USB input.

None of this addresses your particular problem save to say that the DAVE/Blu MKII can indeed work well together without drop outs, and of course that is the goal your dealer should strive to help you achieve.

I hope you get this sorted out soon. I know I get irritated when I have to trouble-shoot my system instead of being able to relax and enjoy uninterrupted music.

Steve Z

Nov 11, 2018 at 3:54 PM Post #12,602 of 25,850
Not for the moment, I've decided to go for the DAVE. Even with the dealer's LCD2, I caught a glimpse of what the DAVE is truly capable of, and I think it'd be a better synergy with the Empyrean. I heard the Empyrean a few weeks ago, and I think the DAVE would suit it better.

I'll test both the DAVE and TT2 both MScaled specifically with the Empyrean at a local dealer in the coming weeks. That would at least provide one more data point for users looking for a similar config.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2018 at 3:57 PM Post #12,603 of 25,850
In only two instances have I experienced drop outs with my DAVE/Blu MKII combo -- most persistently, when my LAN was not working correctly. Once that was sorted (I replaced an older ethernet switch for a newer, better quality one), the only other time I experienced intermittent drop outs I traced it back to not having one of the BNC connectors fully seated and locked. In the course of experimenting with and comparing various BNC cables I found a wide range of quality in BNC connectors, and even some very expensive cables had BNC terminations that at best could be called sloppy. Since adopting Nick's excellent WAVE BNC cables as my daily drivers I haven't experienced any problems with achieving a tight, positive connection at either end. I also feed my Blu MKII from a Innuos Zenith via USB and have tried several different USB cables and never had an occurrence of drop outs that I could isolate to the use or not of the USB input.

None of this addresses your particular problem save to say that the DAVE/Blu MKII can indeed work well together without drop outs, and of course that is the goal your dealer should strive to help you achieve.

I hope you get this sorted out soon. I know I get irritated when I have to trouble-shoot my system instead of being able to relax and enjoy uninterrupted music.

Steve Z
Thanks! indeed good to know the system can work without dropouts, I am sure we will sort it out. It doesn't bother me that much, as I can enjoy through optical for the time being.

Nov 11, 2018 at 4:08 PM Post #12,604 of 25,850
Thanks for your interesting review, ciukas!

From my perspective I'm glad you decided for the DAVE. What immediately crossed my mind is that you could probably get that TT₂ bass authority combined with DAVE punch without having to wait for a DAVE₂ – I would try some simple 20 Hz boost with an equalizer (doesn't have to be more than 1 dB).

Nov 11, 2018 at 5:44 PM Post #12,605 of 25,850
Thanks! indeed good to know the system can work without dropouts, I am sure we will sort it out. It doesn't bother me that much, as I can enjoy through optical for the time being.

I experienced some dropouts with my M Scaler>Dave combo at the beginning but resolved it by reconnecting the supplied BNC cables. The BNC connections were always properly locked but I had to reconnect both cables twice to get rid of the problem completely... So I suspect that the BNC cables supplied with the M Scaler are not ideal - an imperfect BNC connection may occur even if the connectors are properly locked...

No problems now: USB > M Scaler > BNC 3/4 on Dave

Last edited:
Nov 12, 2018 at 2:29 AM Post #12,606 of 25,850
I finally got to audition the DAVE vs TT2 this past weekend. High gain on TT2, no crossfeed. Quick A/B between the two using my iPhone as a source (Tidal) over USB using my usual test tracks. Unfortunately, did not compare the DAVE and TT2 both MScaled as originally planned.

(…)
In the end, I went for the DAVE, and have placed my order... The die is cast but frankly speaking, it's all a win win situation with these two DACs... But still, a big part of me wishes Rob Watts would update the DAVE w his digital amps. Call it DAVE SE or smth, at least until he gets the tools from Xilinx to incorporate however many more taps or 'crumbs left in the barrel' from the DAVINA project into DAVE 2.
(…)

Very interesting impressions, thanks!

If your experience will match mine, I believe you will be delighted when you get your M Scaler, as it could bring to your DAVE some of the things you have liked on the TT2 (e.g. a meatier sound).

Before the HMS, the DAVE sounded a little bit cold-ish / lean-ish to me (we're talking about a few percentages deviation from perfection here :)), but with the M Scaler in the chain I have got a smoother, slightly warmer and darker overall presentation without sacrificing transparency or imaging. And I am not feeling this as an euphonic touch, but just the contrary i.e. a more accurate reproduction of the real timbre of instruments, vocals etc..

Also, when you get your DAVE, I strongly recommend you to experiment with its crossfeed function, as it transforms soundstage reconstruction and imaging over headphones into a much more realistic experience IMHO. It has been a game changer for me, and I cannot listen to music with the crossfeed off anymore.

Nov 12, 2018 at 3:08 AM Post #12,607 of 25,850
I am surprised by your choice. If you wanted the TT2 with the DAVE qualities, the TT 2 and M-Scaler would have been it, and more. (People say Hugo 2 and M-Scaler outperforms DAVE.)

Unless an MScaler is ultimately added to his Dave . . . . .

Nov 24, 2018 at 5:26 PM Post #12,608 of 25,850
I was getting intermittent clicks and pops, sometimes frightening when changing inputs on the Dave. I have just discovered how to eliminate them. Pause or stop play back of the digital sources that are being switched between, or alternatively mute the sound at the sources. From testing this evening it works every time.

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2018 at 6:44 PM Post #12,609 of 25,850
Just pulled the trigger; merry christmas to me!

Replaced a Vega, which I traded in - and a Yggdrasil 2 which I'm going to sell.

Listening to the LCD 4s through the headphone out sounds great! I don't sense any lack of bass, dynamics or strain - though I've only had a short listen through them. Love the transparency directly out of the headphone out I have to see how it sounds with some songs that are recorded more softly - or see if I want to swap in my Violectric V281.

Now I have to sell some Schiit.

This was spurred by a previous demo with my Staxens and absolutely loving the Aeon Flow Closed with the Hugo 2. Interestingly I don't like the Aeon Flow Opens as much. Even with the Closed being a bit bass light, they sound more pleasing to me?

If I am going to go all out and get another pair of headphones to match with my DAVE - what would you recommend based on loving that Aeon Flow Closed Signature? Do the Ether/Flows open or closed mimic or improve upon it? I tried the Utopias previously and didn't love them - though I do love the Clears.

New Setup.jpg

Nov 25, 2018 at 6:14 AM Post #12,610 of 25,850
Also, when you get your DAVE, I strongly recommend you to experiment with its crossfeed function, as it transforms soundstage reconstruction and imaging over headphones into a much more realistic experience IMHO. It has been a game changer for me, and I cannot listen to music with the crossfeed off anymore.
This right here. I can vouch for this to be true. I've actually said the same for my Hugo 2 experience, so you can be sure that its going to hook you in even more with Dave.

No way you can listen to music without crossfeed anymore! :)

Nov 25, 2018 at 7:41 AM Post #12,611 of 25,850
If I am going to go all out and get another pair of headphones to match with my DAVE - what would you recommend based on loving that Aeon Flow Closed Signature? Do the Ether/Flows open or closed mimic or improve upon it? I tried the Utopias previously and didn't love them - though I do love the Clears.

cant help you with the headphones as I have problems trying out different ones in my hometown. But I do love Aeon Flow Closed at work and use the Utopia at home but can totally see how the Clear is more similar to Aeon Flow. Ether C is more of Aeon Flow but much heavier so maybe the Ether Flow is what you’re looking for.

But more importantly, from your photo, you prefer Phase Negative??? I almost always leave Phase as Positive as most modern recordings nowadays have the correct phase.

Crossfeed 3 does increase the bass level in addition to crossfeed. Just remember to switch it back to 0 if you also listen to speakers.

Nov 25, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #12,612 of 25,850
cant help you with the headphones as I have problems trying out different ones in my hometown. But I do love Aeon Flow Closed at work and use the Utopia at home but can totally see how the Clear is more similar to Aeon Flow. Ether C is more of Aeon Flow but much heavier so maybe the Ether Flow is what you’re looking for.

But more importantly, from your photo, you prefer Phase Negative??? I almost always leave Phase as Positive as most modern recordings nowadays have the correct phase.

Crossfeed 3 does increase the bass level in addition to crossfeed. Just remember to switch it back to 0 if you also listen to speakers.

When I demoed A Dave, phase negative just sounded better to me - I'm a weirdo I know. I'll probably have to experiment a bit more to determine what sounds to best to my ears.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 10:18 AM Post #12,613 of 25,850
When I demoed A Dave, phase negative just sounded better to me - I'm a weirdo I know. I'll probably have to experiment a bit more to determine what sounds to best to my ears.
Search this thread, because @TheAttorney tested a large sample of recordings, and posted that no one phase setting was best for all recordings. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-727#post-14191441
So some experimentation could prove beneficial.

[edited to add link]

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #12,614 of 25,850
Search this thread, because @TheAttorney tested a large sample of recordings, and posted that no one phase setting was best for all recordings. https://www.head-fi.org/threads/chord-electronics-dave.766517/page-727#post-14191441
So some experimentation could prove beneficial.

As my source (before DAVE) improves, I continue to get less bothered about the correct phase. While I can still differentiate the right and wrong phase on most (not all) recordings, it's more a case of personal preference. And it's still over 10 to 1 in favour of positive phase (in terms of numbers of recordings). The "wrong" phase may give stlightly wider, more diffuse and brigher images, which may initiially sound more impressive, whereas the deeper, narrower, more focused "correct" phase may initially sound a touch subdued and shut-in. These are tiny objective differences and very recording dependent, so nobody should worry if you don't notice any difference.

Although some have said that every track, and even every image within a track, could potentially have different phases, I haven't noticed that in practice. My guess is that microphone cables tend to all be correctly wired up, so more likely its just a less diligent guy at the end who doesn't bother to check the final master.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2018 at 10:48 PM Post #12,615 of 25,850
As my source (before DAVE) improves, I continue to get less bothered about the correct phase. While I can still differentiate the right and wrong phase on most (not all) recordings, it's more a case of personal preference. And it's still over 10 to 1 in favour of positive phase (in terms of numbers of recordings). The "wrong" phase may give stlightly wider, more diffuse and brigher images, which may initiially sound more impressive, whereas the deeper, narrower, more focused "correct" phase may initially sound a touch subdued and shut-in. These are tiny objective differences and very recording dependent, so nobody should worry if you don't notice any difference.

Although some have said that every track, and even every image within a track, could potentially have different phases, I haven't noticed that in practice. My guess is that microphone cables tend to all be correctly wired up, so more likely its just a less diligent guy at the end who doesn't bother to check the final master.

@TheAttorney - you previously used Dave with the 009 and BHSE correct? I'm curious why you sold it.

Ironically now that I have such a transparent source - I feel like the 009 would benefit from tubes. Curious as to your impressions, with mids specifically, on 009 with BHSE - vs any solid state electrostatic amps you might have tried, with or without DAVE.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back